Right Column

I've never used the recent posts feature; I like being able to reference earlier posts if need be. Old fogey!

Okay. I am lost again. How do you make the "Recent Post" feature prevent one from referencing (accessing?) earlier threads?

(I'm thinkin my confusion comes from not being "old fogey" enough. I will have to fix that, if true.)

Ron,

I think they are talking about not using the portal or recent threads as a primary way to navigate the site. I am guess they probably just navigate to each forum they are interested in and look at the threads from there. That way you can see all the old historical threads even if the last posts is far enough back that they would no longer be listed on the recent threads. (I might be wrong but that's my interpretation of it. This is a common navigation/use of the forums for many).

I guess I am not like others....

I use the New Posts link and just look at which ones I want to read... skip the rest... after reading, I hit the back button to get back to the list...

It tells me which ones have new posts since the last time I was there... after a few hours, going backwards produces something like 'no search results' or something... and I hit the New Posts again... refreshed list...

I guess I am not like others....
I use the New Posts link and just look at which ones I want to read... skip the rest... after reading, I hit the back button to get back to the list...
Firefox (and perhaps IE7/8) makes it easier to look at the new posts, open the ones I'm interested in their own new tabs, and then go back to the "New Posts" screen to mark them all read.

Of course a really interesting day may add 20 tabs to my screen. The reason I started browsing this way is because the one-window loop of ["New Posts", click to thread, back to "New Posts", click to another thread, back to "New Posts"...] was taking Google's Adsense forever to serve up the ads for my browser to block. At least I can be reading something in another tab while I'm waiting for the other tabs to finish "not loading" the ads.

Ron, you can select green or blue versions by going to the drop-down menu at lower left of the page and choosing "--Early-Retirement v1.0" or "--Early-Retirement v2.0".

This morning as I was going through my Subscribed threads, the screen turned from blue to the green version. (I read one thread, it was blue, the next thread was green.) I can no longer find this "drop-down menu at the lower left." What did I do wrong?

Ron, Andy posted this a few minutes ago: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f32/malware-warning-47385-2.html#post877446
I just forced everyone to use the new style while we investigate this issue. this will reduce one of the variables involved in finding this issue.

Can you all report back which style you are set to (new or old)?
Can you post exactly what page you were on when you got the warning? It could also be the thread/discussion page, home page, forum listings, etc

Thanks for posting the warnings, it will help us investigate this. The more info you can post the better.

Bold is mine.

The new right column doesn't bother me. I haven't tried to use it, though.

FWIW, I did something that does help me, though.

Some time back I bought a wide-screen flat monitor (needed to view Autocad drawings). I saved $60 by buying the model where the screen could not be rotated 90 degrees.

Reading on a wide screen gives me headaches so I turned it on end (but I did save $60!) and propped it up and did alt-ctl-right arrow and the display rotated 90 degrees. Had to adjust the other display settings by trial-and-error (right-click on a blank spot on the desktop and also the laptop display function key; F-7 in my case) to fill the screen properly.

Now, I read the screen like a newspaper--tall and narrow. It is way easier to read text.

Back
Top Bottom