Join Early Retirement Today

Screen Formatting Problems?
Old 03-07-2007, 04:13 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Screen Formatting Problems?

Over the last couple of days I have noticed several threads that don't format to the screen properly. They start out OK and then entries spread out too far horizontally and require scrolling to read. Are there any technical changes that could account for this? Anyone else experiencing the problem. I am using Firefox.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Screen Formatting Problems?
Old 03-07-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

It isn't you, or FF, it is people who paste in links (or pics) that are so long they force the page width to be beyond your screen size.

I know there is forum S/W that can fix it on their side, not sure if there is a local patch you can do client-side that will fix it.
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:59 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

As DRiP Guy said, large photos and long links are the usual culprit, but today I found using the code tag instead of the quote tag can cause the same problem. Theses push the right margin off the right side of the page and the regular text flows out that far, too.

When I run across these I usually edit the link and shorten.

A while back I looked in to automatic fixes...either there wasn't such a patch available for this software or there were maintenance issues with it.

Andy R plans to migrate the board to vBulletin which handles the link problem automatically. Last I heard the conversion will happen between now and the end of May.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:43 PM   #4

For long URL's, I suggest using www.tinyurl.com

For those of you who are unfamiliar, you simply go to www.tinyurl.com and enter your long URL in the box. It returns a much smaller URL that you then paste in your message.
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:02 PM   #5

Or there is a really cool technique that I've now forgotten to actually make your text a hyper link. Nords explained it once.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl
Or there is a really cool technique that I've now forgotten to actually make your text a hyper link. Nords explained it once.
Eh, made me look: here it is.

The old text has become garbled by the software's attempt to read the formatting commands, but the basic idea is to click on the "Insert Hyperlink" icon (the globe third from the bottom left in the "Add BBC tags"). One of the tags generated by that icon will be the acronym "url" between brackets. Add an "equals" sign after the "l" in "url" and cut & paste your desired URL after the equals sign. Make sure there aren't any leftover spaces or line breaks between the brackets (IE does this sometimes).

The result looks ugly but the link will be inside the brackets and won't show when the post is displayed. To see an example, select the "Quote" button on this message and look at the URL formatting around the phrase "here it is"...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:05 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
Last I heard the conversion will happen between now and the end of May.
I notice that you cleverly dont mention May of which year...

Get a bigger screen! A 32"er takes the longer lines just fine
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny

Get a bigger screen! A 32"er takes the longer lines just fine
[insert Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor 'arr, arr, arr' man-grunt WAV file here]

DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 06:35 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Alas, Gabe now watches Barney video's on it...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:50 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gindie
For long URL's, I suggest using www.tinyurl.com

For those of you who are unfamiliar, you simply go to www.tinyurl.com and enter your long URL in the box. It returns a much smaller URL that you then paste in your message.
tinyurl is great. If you are using FireFox as your browser, it is super easy to create a tinyurl. Just load this extension:

http://mozmonkey.com/tinyurl/

And then you can just right-click (or Control-click on a Mac if you are not already using a 3-button mouse) on the page and select 'Create TinyUrl for this Page'. The 'tinyurl' wil now be in your clipboard, just hit 'paste' to add it anywhere you want.

Super-handy.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:17 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Eh, made me look: here it is.

The old text has become garbled by the software's attempt to read the formatting commands, but the basic idea is to click on the "Insert Hyperlink" icon (the globe third from the bottom left in the "Add BBC tags"). One of the tags generated by that icon will be the acronym "url" between brackets. Add an "equals" sign after the "l" in "url" and cut & paste your desired URL after the equals sign. Make sure there aren't any leftover spaces or line breaks between the brackets (IE does this sometimes).

The result looks ugly but the link will be inside the brackets and won't show when the post is displayed. To see an example, select the "Quote" button on this message and look at the URL formatting around the phrase "here it is"...
Yeah! That was it! Thanks.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 09:23 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

jasdhflahsdflkjashdflkjashflkajhflkjahdflkjadhflka jsdhflakjsdhflkajdhflkasdjhflkadsjhflaksdjhflakjdh flaksdjhflasdjhflkasdjhflakjsdfhlakdsjfhlaksdjhflk adsjfhlkasjdhflkasjdhflkasjdhflkasdjhflaksdjhflkas djhflaksdjhflkasdjfhklasjdhf,
for example.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:14 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

The worlds longest single word domain name just doesnt cut it

http://www.llanfairpwllgwyngyllgoger...ogogogoch.com/