Show unread posts since last visit - not working?

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Show unread posts since last visit function is not working for me lately. Any suggestions? A few days ago I did hit mark as read on each of the forums.

Thanks

It isn't working for me either, for several days now.

Ha

I just tried and it isn't working for me either. Wahoo is checking with Dory and BMJ.

That's odd because it is working fine for me today. I wonder if it could be a browser issue. I use Firefox. What are you all using?

Grumpy

It works for me and I use Firefox at work and Safari at home. Maybe an IE problem?

I use IE. Still doesn't work.

Ha

Nothing has changed on the server side, and it works fine for me (using IE).

Best guess -- somehow cookies have been disabled on your PCs. Any chance that has happened?

Cookies have been eaten near my PC several times. I tell my wife the dogs been eating them. She's not buying it.

I'm using firefox

I use IE.

It works for me at work, or on my laptop, but it has not been working on my home desktop for at least 2-3 weeks (not sure, don't use that machine much).

I just assumed I had an old version of IE or something.

I dont know if its related, but i've noted in a few places where I made a post and then on the redraw my post appeared above the one I was responding to, and i've had a couple of cases where I've looked at a thread, then later on the same thread showed 'new' and when I looked at it the 'new' post was one i'd already read.

Seems like some kind of pointers or indexes or something may be slightly scrambled. Seems to me this started about a week or two ago. Is there some kind of index or something that can be 'rebuilt' on this database?

There are some "pushbutton" diagnostic and maintenance things for the database, and I have just pushed them. The diagnostics showed no errors. The table optimization was completed with no error messages.

Let's see if that helps...

I'm back from my trip but need lots of rest and ibuprofen. My rented Corolla got rear ended by a Texas Cadillac (GMC Yukon, = Suburban). It was a week ago, but I'm still feeling the effects.

A few have reported this problem, and likely there are others that have had it and haven't reported it. Offhand I'm not sure how to troubleshoot it, but see what I can figure out this week.

BigMoneyJim said:
I'm back from my trip but need lots of rest and ibuprofen. My rented Corolla got rear ended by a Texas Cadillac (GMC Yukon, = Suburban). It was a week ago, but I'm still feeling the effects.

Sorry to hear about your accident BMJ, but you rented a Corolla in Texas? :eek: You don't stand a chance around here in one of those motorized go carts.

When in Rome (or Dallas Austin)... ;)

Well, a Corolla is what I got when I asked for a mid-size. I shudder to think of what I'd get if I asked for a compact. ("Here's your Hot Wheel, sir. Pull the toothed plastic strip to get it going...") Actually the Corolla seemed to take the hit pretty well...better than I did, anyway.

Yikes Jim!

Hope you did not sustain any serious injuries!!

Sheryl said:
Hope you did not sustain any serious injuries!!

I don't think so, but I am concerned that I'm still feeling the effects a week later. I'm prescribing myself lots of rest and ibuprofen for the next two days, then I'm heading to the doctor if I still can feel it. Glad I didn't sign the injury waiver for the dangling $250 carrot yet.

Chiropractor. And you may need to see one for some time so make sure any settlement covers that. Every piece of connective tissue in your body just took a heck of a jolt.

Sorry to hear about your wreck Jim. I am 2 months past mine, and still not back to normal. Like () said, it isn't only broken bones- all that cartilage and tendon and ligament took a good whack too.

Ha

There are many reports of problems with unread posts not working in the latest version of this software (for other sites) but no solutions or causes posted. It hasn't failed for me yet. I think my next step may be to log in as dex or Haha and see if it fails for me masquerading as them. The passwords are stored encrypted, but I should be able to save and restore the encrypted password but use a temporary password to log myself in. I'm not sure if it will affect the cookie login, and I'm not sure what time would be good to try impersonating one or the other. dex? HaHa?

FWIW, it will have to be in the database, which stores last login, and not cookies. I can switch among computers, even ones I have never used before, and the Show Unread Posts feature works fine for me. So the forum software is not looking at cookies for this info.

BigMoneyJim said:
... but I should be able to save and restore the encrypted password but use a temporary password to log myself in. I'm not sure if it will affect the cookie login, and I'm not sure what time would be good to try impersonating one or the other. dex? HaHa?

Anytime you want. If I am on at that time, send me a mesage and I'll sign off. Also, I rarely get up before 9am Pacific so anytime in your morning should work.

Thanks for checking into it. It is weird- occasionally there will be few posts. But if I look through the categories from the homepage, there are way more that I haven't seen. As far as I know, "New replies to your posts" works fine.

Ha

Careful Jim...if you log in as Ha you might become infected with curmudeonly factors. I hear one of the first signs of being a first tier curmudgeon is thinking your recent posts button has stopped working...

Back
Top Bottom