Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Spam and new member account limitations
Old 02-22-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
Administrator
Janet H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 4,770
Spam and new member account limitations

In the last few days we have had a rash of spam touting an online newsletter. These spammers are not only plastering the board with posts, they are also sending PMs and leaving profile comments. Removing this garbage has become a full time activity for site mods.

For a little while until we can find more foolproof ways to stop this onslaught, members with new accounts will be prohibited from using these messaging functions. New members can still post to the forum however. We are truly sorry to restrict new members in this way but feel that we must take this action to protect our long term members from this kind of harassment.

This is a temporary measure and if any new member needs to contact a moderator, please use our contact link at the bottom of the page. We will e-mail you at the first opportunity to answer your questions.

Please continue to use the report post feature to report spam. Forum members have been extremely helpful in this respect and we have been able to get these unwanted posts off the board quickly.
__________________

__________________
E-R.org Custom Google Search | You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. (Robin Williams)
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 38,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Removing this garbage has become a full time activity for site mods.
Those folks deserve a raise. Wait...

OK, if you can't pay the mods, at least see if Andy will give them some French benefits.
__________________

__________________
Numbers is hard.

The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts while the stupid ones are full of confidence. - Charles Bukowski

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Moderator
ziggy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 15,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Those folks deserve a raise. Wait...
Oh, I forgot to tell you -- Janet doubled my pay.
__________________
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
CuppaJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At The Cafe
Posts: 6,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
....
OK, if you can't pay the mods, at least see if Andy will give them some French benefits.
Where Andy lives it's 75-85 degrees F. Maybe he could send some nice temps our way? Never mind, they are also reporting thunderstorms there.
__________________
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Administrator
Janet H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Those folks deserve a raise. Wait...

OK, if you can't pay the mods, at least see if Andy will give them some French benefits.
ohh more chocolate and nylons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Oh, I forgot to tell you -- Janet doubled my pay.
Black, sheer or fishnet?
__________________
E-R.org Custom Google Search | You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. (Robin Williams)
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #6
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 34,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Oh, I forgot to tell you -- Janet doubled my pay.
Is that all? My pay was TRIPLED, as was my vacation time.

Nylons and chocolate? Nylons are uncomfortable and constraining, and chocolate is just plain fattening...
__________________
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
CuppaJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: At The Cafe
Posts: 6,869
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Is that all? He TRIPLED mine.
Andy, where do you get your power? The sun is out in my 'hood today, despite predictions of rain all week.
__________________
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:21 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Purron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,585
Thanks you mods. I hate spam and really appreciate your efforts.
__________________
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 34,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Thanks you mods. I hate spam and really appreciate your efforts.
We hate it too, which is why this really isn't work for us! We have been dealing with a spam avalanche lately, the most I recall ever seeing here, and mostly spamming the same newsletter. We have been greatly helped by all of our great members reporting spam to us so that we are aware of it and can get rid of it fast, so thank you, everyone. It has been a great ER Forum community effort and it is much appreciated.

For those that don't know, the triangular white icon with a red "!" on it, at the lower left of each message is the "report post" icon. We really appreciate your help in reporting these spam posts to us.

Also, please -- everybody look at your profile and if you have a spam post, report it to us. Thank you so much!
__________________
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
clifp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7,427
I love SPAM, SPAM Musabi is a local delicacy here. Good stuff .

But I guess you moderator types are getting rid of it too quickly cause my PM box is empty.

Keep up the good work.
__________________
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #11
gone traveling
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 3,864
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
We hate it too, which is why this really isn't work for us! We have been dealing with a spam avalanche lately, the most I recall ever seeing here, and mostly spamming the same newsletter. We have been greatly helped by all of our great members reporting spam to us so that we are aware of it and can get rid of it fast, so thank you, everyone. It has been a great ER Forum community effort and it is much appreciated.

For those that don't know, the triangular white icon with a red "!" on it, at the lower left of each message is the "report post" icon. We really appreciate your help in reporting these spam posts to us.

Also, please -- everybody look at your profile and if you have a spam post, report it to us. Thank you so much!
I had a PM spam this AM, but there was no red triangle icon availablefor reporting-maybe it had already been dealt with?- so I forwarded it to you. (Since we already have such a close moderator-member relationship...)
__________________
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 34,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
I had a PM spam this AM, but there was no red triangle icon availablefor reporting-maybe it had already been deleted?- so I forwarded it to you. (Since we already have such a close moderator-member relationship...)
Thanks! We appreciate the report from you and dealt with it. So thanks again!

Also, profile comment spam doesn't have the triangle icon either - - it has a clickable "Report" link on the bottom right of the profile comment.
__________________
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:53 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
In the last few days we have had a rash of spam touting an online newsletter. These spammers are not only plastering the board with posts, they are also sending PMs and leaving profile comments. Removing this garbage has become a full time activity for site mods.
Any indication what's sending the business this way? A certain ad or keyword or SEO? A vBulletin vulnerability? Raddr's & Greaney's ER boards don't seem to have quite the same level of issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
For a little while until we can find more foolproof ways to stop this onslaught, members with new accounts will be prohibited from using these messaging functions. New members can still post to the forum however. We are truly sorry to restrict new members in this way but feel that we must take this action to protect our long term members from this kind of harassment.
IIRC Bogleheads won't let new members put any links in posts until they've posted at least 10 times. I've seen other boards where PMs are disabled (except to contact mods or admins) until the poster has some minimum amount of credibility number of posts.
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
freebird5825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Nowhere, 43N Latitude, NY
Posts: 9,019
Good solution to the onslaught!
I'm one of the earliest "Birds" to sign in on the forum, so I'll be extra vigilant in reporting anything that snuck in during the wee AM hours.
Thanks for all you moderators and admins do for us.
__________________
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:07 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Purron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,585
OK, gotta do this....

__________________
I purr therefore I am.
Purron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 14
I'm guessing "new" isn't determined by time but number of posts?
__________________
Galahad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:40 PM   #17
Administrator
Janet H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 4,770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad View Post
I'm guessing "new" isn't determined by time but number of posts?

Yes - if you are a long time member with a low post count you may be impacted by this change. If you post here about this (and promise not to spam) we can find a work around to get you back this functionality.

Once again we know this is a drastic measure we have taken and hope to be able to return to our old model soon..
__________________
E-R.org Custom Google Search | You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it. (Robin Williams)
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,547
I just reported a PM to the mods. It uses a prominent ER Forum member's avatar and usename, with title "Survey" and a strange-looking link in the body. I do not think this member would send such a PM and I am going to notify them privately. I do not want this person to get in trouble for sending SPAM which I am sure they did not do!

Amethyst
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #19
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 34,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I just reported a PM to the mods. It uses a prominent ER Forum member's avatar and usename, with title "Survey" and a strange-looking link in the body. I do not think this member would send such a PM and I am going to notify them privately. I do not want this person to get in trouble for sending SPAM which I am sure they did not do!

Amethyst
How peculiar! I haven't see the report yet but thanks for reporting it.
__________________
"You can never cross the ocean until you have the courage to lose sight of the shore." - - - C. Columbus
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #20
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,442
Allright made me look at my user CP, long time no see, amazing stuff in there.

No spam. Maybe only the highrollers get the unique and valuable opportunities. Good to be a cheepskate.
__________________

__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roth limitations.... simple girl FIRE and Money 2 02-28-2009 03:38 PM
The limitations (and strength ?) of balanced funds... FIREd FIRE and Money 13 10-27-2008 10:14 PM
Health Savings Account/Flexible Spending Account Bongybo Health and Early Retirement 5 07-26-2008 06:46 PM
Greetings from a new member renegade Hi, I am... 3 09-23-2006 08:01 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:13 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.