Spam popup today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see that an adblocker will help but it is worrisome thst this is the only site that I ever get bombarded with these. I wonder if there’s some vulnerability here that other sites have managed to fix. Or maybe I just need to get out more.

I can see that an adblocker will help but it is worrisome thst this is the only site that I ever get bombarded with these. I wonder if there’s some vulnerability here that other sites have managed to fix. Or maybe I just need to get out more.

It’s the only site I was having the problem with. Now no ads due to Wipr.

I downloaded Adblock Plus (free) to my iPad and have had no new pop-ups

DH did some research to pick an ad blocker and found that Adblock Plus was not using the native Safari content blocker API and having some problems with latest iOS Safari versions which is why we chose Wipr.

Last edited:
I've been using Adblock Plus for quite a while on my phone and it definitely uses Apple's native Safari API. Maybe you read something about an older version or a different similar app? I've seen negative comments about one called Adguard, so maybe that's what you saw?

I've used a variety of adblockers in the past and while they work they seem to create other problems for me. This is the only site I'm having the problem with, and only on my Ipad. I think it's fixable on the admin side but may take some research to figure out the right settings.

Ad blockers are great, yet some news sites ask you disable them because that's how they make money to stay alive. I feel guilty sometimes because they're really good sites, LA Times does that. I don't disable.

I've been using Adblock Plus for quite a while on my phone and it definitely uses Apple's native Safari API. Maybe you read something about an older version or a different similar app? I've seen negative comments about one called Adguard, so maybe that's what you saw?

I’ll pass that along to DH.

No problem on Windows or Android, but I've got "uBlock Origin" on both. That's available for Apple as well.

Wondered what all of this was about, until this morning when I came here on my iPad using the Safari browser, while backing up my Windows laptop (which is what I use here nearly all the time).

WOW!! What an annoying pop-up. I agree with soupcxan, the forum is just unusable using the Safari browser in IOS 12.1 . It just won't go away, although I admit that I haven't tried adding extra ad blocker software like Audreyh1 suggests. But when I went to other websites such as reddit, the pop-up wasn't there.

So far it doesn't appear at all here at the ER Forum on my Windows 10 laptop, using the Edge browser with its built in popup blocker. Score one for Windows 10 (but subtract 1000 for its continual updating fiascos)

uBlock Origin is DA Bomb as a popup blocker.

Just sayin' :).

I downloaded Adblock Plus (free) to my iPad and have had no new pop-ups

I've used a variety of adblockers in the past and while they work they seem to create other problems for me. This is the only site I'm having the problem with, and only on my Ipad. I think it's fixable on the admin side but may take some research to figure out the right settings.
I've reached the point that I won't open ER.org on my iPad, I get spam almost immediately every time now. I don't fire up the PC (no spam there) nearly as often as my iPad.

This happened to me before, but I installed AdBlock Plus on my iPad and it fixed the problem. But it was a version that did not allow me to list exceptions (whitelist), so I switched to the Norton AdBlock for iOS and that has worked fine for months. Then all of a sudden I can't open ER.org on my iPad without spam. It is not happening on any other site or webpage...

So for whatever reason, AdBlock for iOS isn't working anymore, and it is an up to date version.

Last edited:
I've reached the point that I won't open ER.org on my iPad, I get spam almost immediately every time now. I don't fire up the PC (no spam there) nearly as often as my iPad.

This happened to me before, but I installed AdBlock Plus on my iPad and it fixed the problem. But it was a version that did not allow me to list exceptions, so I switched to the Norton AdBlock for iOS and that has worked fine for months. Then all of a sudden I can't open ER.org on my iPad without spam. It is not happening on any other site or webpage...

So for whatever reason, AdBlock for iOS isn't working anymore, and it is an up to date version.

Try Wipr?

That stopped the problems on my iPad.

Try Wipr?

That stopped the problems on my iPad.
Thanks I may. Just annoying that users have to keep adapting with newer adblockers, and I have to wonder why it's just happening with one url...

Thanks I may. Just annoying that users have to keep adapting with newer adblockers, and I have to wonder why it's just happening with one url...

I know. I've never used an adblocker before. And it was just happening at this site.

FWIW, I was curious so I’ve been using Safari on my iPad all day today to browse this forum and a few others. Haven’t seen a single ad, much less any pop ups. So I have to say that Adblock Plus does indeed work, just as reported.

PLEASE make it stop. This is going to start reducing members quickly.

If I click the first button and leave it open while opening another tab, I can view this site undisturbed. Is there risk in doing that?

Only site that I get pop ups on. Something just ain’t right.

PLEASE make it stop. This is going to start reducing members quickly.

It will likely keep new visitors from returning, who won’t be able to read this thread suggesting adblockers they don’t need for other sites.

I think this ad that is not in English triggered the spam I just got—I grabbed a fast screen cap. I see only the ads across the top of the screen.

Attachments

• 71CCEDDE-380E-4C77-A179-0CC1836AAFCD.jpeg
    71CCEDDE-380E-4C77-A179-0CC1836AAFCD.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 9
Pop ups take over the page and require clearing history - then recur over and over.

ER needs to fix quickly!!!

I have been getting these pop-ups at this site and on occasion at finance.yahoo.com. I am using a iPad and I just turned off java script in safari’s configuration. No more pop-ups! This setting is at Safari->Advanced, toggle JavaScript to off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom