Spam popup today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been getting these pop-ups at this site and on occasion at finance.yahoo.com. I am using a iPad and I just turned off java script in safari’s configuration. No more pop-ups! This setting is at Safari->Advanced, toggle JavaScript to off.

Since none of the pop up blockers worked, I will give this a try.

Last edited:
I have been getting these pop-ups at this site and on occasion at finance.yahoo.com. I am using a iPad and I just turned off java script in safari’s configuration. No more pop-ups! This setting is at Safari->Advanced, toggle JavaScript to off.

So that fix lasted a couple minutes. I couldn’t get things like login boxes to show up on other websites.
Back to where I started.

No pop ups with firefox on Win 10, but instead firefox complains that a web page is slowing it down, and do I want to stop it?

That web page is ER.org, and it essentially hangs. It is probably related to what others are seeing.

No pop ups with firefox on Win 10, but instead firefox complains that a web page is slowing it down, and do I want to stop it?

That web page is ER.org, and it essentially hangs. It is probably related to what others are seeing.
I haven't had any problems on my Win PC either. My iPad has been another story altogether, even my iOS AdBlocker stopped working after many months, so I may have to try another. Between online spam and robocallers :mad: Ain't technology grand...

There was a brief respite yesterday for a few hours and now it's back. I agree this is a problem the site needs to address. I visit a number of online forums regularly and this is the only one with an ongoing issue. It's been virtually unusable the last few days--you can't even click into a thread.

For all those suggesting ad blockers, that's great, but I'm not really interested in downloading this just to manage a problem that's only happening on one web forum. Unlike others, I don't really mind the ads and I know they help to generate revenue that helps support the forum.

I've given up on my Ipad for this site, no issues with any other site and will most likely just stop visiting here as it only works when I'm on the PC. I tried adblock and wipr, works for an hour or so, then stops so really believe this is a erorg issue and not going to keep trying to fix it from my end. Best of luck to others but think it's time to move on.

I hope this situation is resolved soon. I don’t own an iPad but have been thinking of buying one. The pop ups sound terrible.

For what it’s worth, most of my use of e-r.org is through i{Phone,Touch} (using the app) and Chromebook (using Chrome). I’ve had no spam pop ups at all.

Last edited:
(1) Fix the damn broken https security for one!
If you start at https://www.early-retirement.org you’ll start out with a secure TLS end-to-end link but as soon as you click on “new posts” it reverts to a plain-text link. Ugh! Anyone browsing this site on a public Wifi network opens their account to hacking. Don’t use the same password for this site you use for anything else.

(2) The owners of the site are failing to do due-diligence on who they sell ads. It isn’t clear they care. Ideally the site would be member-supported and no ads, but once turned over to a commercial operator that is now unlikely to ever happen.

We have decided to table this discussion for now and sticky it to keep it available for view at the top of the forum. Tech support are aware of the problem and have commented within the thread.

Thanks for raising this ongoing issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom