Join Early Retirement Today

Spreadsheet attachments?
Old 06-22-2009, 06:34 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Spreadsheet attachments?

I've searched the "attachment" keyword on his forum but I can't find a previous thread on this question.

Could we add Excel spreadsheet files (*.xls) to the list of valid file extensions for attachments? I understand the macro security issues but it wouldn't seem to be any worse than .doc attachments which are already authorized.

I guess *.zip is the next best solution...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Couldn't download that, Al. Funny, I couldn't quote your post either.

Much better to post a zip file I think.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 09:03 PM   #3
Administrator

Nords - how about using a google doc? Their spreadsheet application is fairly robust and you can export to excel if needed. You can also upload an existing spreadsheet to a google spreadsheet.

By publishing the spreadsheet, you can share it. I set up a sample spreadsheet. While I control the edit permissions on it, you can download it to an excel file. (>file >>export). As the spreadsheet is housed elsewhere there are few security concerns for the forum and handily, you have unlimited access to edit.

Sample spreadsheet: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...iSDtvj7sBfKmuw

On edit: You need a gmail account to set up google docs. Ping me if you need a gmail invitation.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
Administrator

I think the reason .xls is not enabled by default is because macros can lead to potential security loopholes.

I have added .xls to the approved file formats so you can now attach Excel files. Let's keep an eye on these files that are attached and report any that might have issues so we don't let our community become a conduit for spreading a bad file.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:50 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Nords - how about using a google doc? Their spreadsheet application is fairly robust and you can export to excel if needed. You can also upload an existing spreadsheet to a google spreadsheet.
By publishing the spreadsheet, you can share it. I set up a sample spreadsheet. While I control the edit permissions on it, you can download it to an excel file. (>file >>export). As the spreadsheet is housed elsewhere there are few security concerns for the forum and handily, you have unlimited access to edit.
Sample spreadsheet: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...iSDtvj7sBfKmuw
On edit: You need a gmail account to set up google docs. Ping me if you need a gmail invitation.
Thanks, Janet, never thought of that approach. I'm frequently doing Excel spreadsheets offline but that's a great collaborative tool for the results.

As for gmail I'm good, my kid has promised to e-mail me an invitation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
I think the reason .xls is not enabled by default is because macros can lead to potential security loopholes.
I have added .xls to the approved file formats so you can now attach Excel files.
Thanks, Andy.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 06:15 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just wanted to remind everyone that even a lot of those who own Excel won't open Excel spreadsheets attached to posts from anonymous people on message boards because of the security issues. So if a spreadsheet can be reasonably and easily reduced to a smaller table, then the use of the present table function instead of an Excel spreadsheet might foster more discussion and be more inclusive.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 08:54 AM   #7
Administrator

I'll add a vote for Google Spreadsheets, it's a great collaboration tool and has some neat publishing options where you can make the data viewable like a web page. I have been moving slowly to web based apps like this and it's really nice to switch between computers and not have to worry about moving files around. Of course Box.net works for that too...