Strange goins on

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I tried to post here several times here today and got a site with "green color" (not blue like this one) and could not log in (password problem). I emailed my problem to the admin but haven't got a reply yet as it was a few minutes ago. I tried again and, bingo! Back to normal and was not required to enter a password (as that was my problem with this new "green" site.)

Am I just having a bad day, or has anyone else had this occur?

No color problems on the site "skin", but over the past few days (week?) I've gotten an intermittent error message from Roadrunner telling me "www.early-retirement.org page not found".
I hit the Refresh Page icon and it solved itself. I was always able to log on.
I attributed the error to a local server burp. :confused:

I had the green color and noticed that I was not logged in.

Once I logged in, the color changed to blue and everything seems normal.

Update:I just logged out and loged in again and up popped the "green sign in" screen (see OP). I attempted to sign in, using that same info as before, this time it accepted me and popped me here with a blue screen.

BTW, I noticed that it's more than just a color change (green/blue) as the entire page is totally different.

There must be a change in the wind.....

Form the control panel choose "edit options." At the bottom of the page that appears, there is a box Forum Skins (unrelated to the circumcision forum). The older version has blue colors and the old layouts, and the new one is the green one.

I'm set up for auto logon, and I saw it today. Green layout with all the stuff on the side. Once I entered my info it was back to normal.

I tend to keep dozens of browser windows open as I move from one thing to another, so I rarely actually log out of this forum, there's probably a window of some topic I was following open somewhere, might even be a few days old. So, I don't know if this is common or not, but it seems rare to me.

-ERD50

I tend to keep dozens of browser windows open as I move from one thing to another, so I rarely actually log out of this forum,

-ERD50

Same here, in fact I don't believe that I have ever actually logged out here. I just move on and eventually may or may not come back, but it usually does not require me to login like the green screen did today.

I'm guessing that the blue screen recognises me or my computer but the green screen does not, thus prompting me to enter name and password.

Still peculiar, if you ask me.:blush:

We did a small software update to improve account security in the wee hours of the morning. This caused everyone to have to log in again and may have reverted your skin settings. Sorry for the confusion.

That exact thing happened to me also, MickeyD, I didn't realize I wasn't logged in until I tried to do something mod-ish. I did as R_I_T suggests, I changed it to Version 1, but it took a couple of times to switch it. I did notice a tech-admin online this morning but it is still a mystery to me.

Edit: mn, see Janet H's post.

The thing that shocked me the most on this was the amount of ADVERTISING...

Man... there was so much... and even a pop up screen... if this happens to me on this version... I will not be as frequent a visitor...

The thing that shocked me the most on this was the amount of ADVERTISING...

Man... there was so much... and even a pop up screen... if this happens to me on this version... I will not be as frequent a visitor...

You can still revert to the old version or disable the right column in your user cp. When we ran the security patch it reset members settings to the default ones.

Change your settings here http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/profile.php?do=editoptions. Then scroll and hit save.

I totally forgot this site had ads. Interesting that you can disable them in the CP. What I did when the layout changed was just block the ads and annoying sections with my firefox add-on blocker, like I do on most sites.

Same thing happened to me. In fact, it has happened several times in the past (pehaps every month or so). I simply log back in and things go along smoothly until it doesn't.

I use a browser bookmark link to "Mark Forums Read." Same URL as the one pointed to by the menu item of the same name under QuickLinks.

That bookmark link stopped working yesterday and I noticed that the new built-in URL now has a hash number as a variable in the URL ("markhash=...").

Unlikely anyone else is doing this, but just FYI -- these security changes may be spawning some unintended consequences for a bit.

Thanks for keeping the site secure, and I fully understand why these measures are important. The inconvenience is minor.

Thanks Janet. I can now sleep w/o worrying. :ROFLMAO:

mickeyd -- we received your message about log in issues at the help desk and have responded. It appears that maybe your spam filter is stopping these messages. Can your change filter and set it to allow messages from Socialknowledge.com.

Your password has been reset to something new and the new one is contained in our replies to you.

Back
Top Bottom