Join Early Retirement Today

Strange situation...
Old 05-13-2005, 01:26 PM   #1
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

Strange situation...

This might possibly explain some of the blank pages etc lately.

Our server started bogging down suddenly about 45 minutes ago. When I looked, I found one guest user was opening 30-40 simultaneous connections every few seconds, it looked like.

Could have been a deliberate attempt to mess things up, or perhaps someone running a utility to try and grab every message and copy it over the net to his hard disk. Can't think of any other reason . . .

He or she is using an ISP from Squamish, BC, fwiw.

The result was that the whole forum was crippled, and was crippling the server is runs on. The server load shot up to over 100x its normal load.

I blocked that IP , and the guest, if legit, will get a message saying "contact me to get back in" when he or she tries to visit again.

Sorry if I bumped anyone else off while I was trying to salvage the situation -- we're back to normal now.

Dory36

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Strange situation...
Old 05-13-2005, 01:56 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Slow right now, and for about 5-6 minutes yesterday in the afternoon I couldnt get any response either.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:10 PM   #3
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by th
Slow right now, and for about 5-6 minutes yesterday in the afternoon I couldnt get any response either.
Yep - he's still hitting the server, just not getting to the forum. I'm blocking him at the server firewall now.

He hit the forum an average of 16 times a second in the past few minutes, even after I blocked the IP.

It might be something broader -- the whole data center where our server resides is getting hit hard as well -- so maybe we were just the tip of the iceburg.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
Old 05-13-2005, 02:44 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well hey, it wasn't me. I was doing the dishes then

Hey Dory, any angst about no boat? I am fixin' (talkin' Texan)
to buy a big one, or at least the biggest one I ever owned.
I know what I want and shopping should be fun. Paying
for it? Well, it may require a little of the old voo-doo
economics

JG
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 02:54 PM   #5
Developer of FIRECalc

We've already started looking for suitable boats for when the granddaughter is old enough to enjoy going with us...

Meanwhile, we are getting her accustomed to being in a boat -- see her in her cradle...

Dory36
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cradle.jpg (22.4 KB, 67 views)

Old 05-13-2005, 03:11 PM   #6
Developer of FIRECalc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGALT2U
Well hey, it wasn't me.* I was doing the dishes then*
I think the server was going through withdrawal -- JG away for hours!!