Taking an indefinite break from the board

yet another one bites the dust. Possibly run off due to way overzealous moderators.

I have noticed that the quantity and the quality of posts has diminished and that many long term posters have dis-appeared.

What will all the moderators do when nobody posts anymore ? Oh sure their "job" will be easier but what's the point of it all.
I've been a member of a forum more tightly moderated (Bogleheads) and more loosely moderated sites, and I'd say the mods here walk that fine line pretty well. There's no chance everyone will agree with their decisions, so we owe them a little forgiveness no? The loose site I was on devolved into serious name calling and chaos, even a couple of (frivolous) lawsuits - and they're still limping along but they've really lost members. This place seems very active to me.

Your post violates Community Rules to begin with, but they let it go. Overzealous?

Careful what you wish for. YMMV

Last edited:
I think the mods do just fine. I am glad to see rude, negative posts go elsewhere. I've said it before, but hats off to those who spend so much of their time serving this forum:cool:

I suppose in your mind everything is just fine.
First I think it only fair I admit that unlike you I lack the perspective of knowing what it feels like to have run afoul of the mods on numerous occasions. I also lack the experience of having flounced off the forum at least twice with what must have been highly satisfying "I'm Outta Here!" posts (the overzealous moderators seem to have deleted them or I'd be happy to provide links).

With those limitations in place, yes, I do think things are "just fine" - not that there isn't always some room for improvement. :)

Last edited:
Everybody needs a break every now and then. Very considerate of you to let us know.

<snip> I also lack the experience of having flounced...
I flounced once and pulled a muscle...
smiley-sick020.gif

First I think it only fair I admit that unlike you I lack the perspective of knowing what it feels like to have run afoul of the mods on numerous occasions. I also lack the experience of having flounced off the forum on at least twice with what must have been highly satisfying "I'm Outta Here!" posts (the overzealous moderators seem to have deleted them or I'd be happy to provide links).

With those limitations in place, yes, I do think things are "just fine" - not that there isn't always some room for improvement. :)

You just can't take any fair minded criticism, can you? - Without posting something that is very mean spirited.

In my opinion your post is worse than anything I ever posted.

Oh so now overzealous is a banned word !

What have we come to around here ?
From the Community Rules FWIW...
Any abuse toward our administrators or moderators may result in immediate suspension of your account. Complaints about a moderator's decision regarding a particular post are not be made in posts; instead send a private message to a moderator.
They could have flicked you at post #18, but they didn't...hardly overzealous as you claim.

Last edited:
Your post violates Community Rules to begin with, but they let it go. Overzealous?
Careful what you wish for. YMMV
It's called "suicide by moderator"...

I'm just glad that 2Cor let us know what's on his mind. Too many MIAs that we have to keep wondering about.

Midpack said:
From the Community Rules FWIW...
They could have flicked you at post #18, but they didn't.

I don't see how his post violated the rules.

There's two potential violations one could make to break that rule you quoted. 1) abuse the mods, and/or 2) question their decision regarding a particular post.

I don't see that he did either. Maybe you interpret "abuse" differently than me?

This is not to say I agree or disagree with his position on the moderation of this site, but I don't see how his post saying the mods may be overzealous broke the rule you quoted.

REWahoo said:
And yet the membership continues to grow and new records continue to be set for the number of users online. Guess the measure of 'quantity' and 'quality' is subjective?

As one of the relative newcomers, I appreciate those with much more experience and time on this board answering my questions. I search to see if something similar has been asked, but when I don't find a fit I ask away.

I understand that for some who have been here for many years you remember the threads triggered by a similar question and might find it annoying since the question has been asked and answered, but for those of us starting out on this journey I find it refreshing that so many are willing to pass on the knowledge that they've gained.

Once I've ditched my job I hope to be able to pay back to the newbies as well. So IMHO, the friendliness and willingness to answer the dumbest questions are part of what continues to bring us here in droves...that and the priceless 'What did you do today' thread.

Last edited:
I don't think the moderators are over zealous here at all. Try posting some of what you have said in this thread at the BH site and see how fast they come down on you and rightfully so! I ran afoul of the rules a week ago and I was in the wrong for what I said. I apologized, I did not realize what I was saying was violating the rules but rules are rules so I will be careful to not do it again. I wouldn't tempt fate, your posts are asking for trouble IMO. If you are unhappy you can leave but if you want to stay it is not hard to color within the lines here. Just my 2 cents.

2Cor, good luck. I have enjoyed reading your posts and will miss you.

Hope you enjoy your time away and come back again someday.

If you want to see the same question asked a zillion different ways, try Bogleheads:hide:

On the bike forum, I started a thread called:

Sh*t my Derailleur Does (take off on the book Sh*t my Dad Says)

and it was modified to

Stuff my Derailleur Does

I will miss you . I've watched you evolve from a new divorcee to a single Dad doing a great job while still working towards retirement .

yet another one bites the dust. Possibly run off due to way overzealous moderators.

I have noticed that the quantity and the quality of posts has diminished and that many long term posters have dis-appeared.

What will all the moderators do when nobody posts anymore ? Oh sure their "job" will be easier but what's the point of it all.

I'm late to this thread, but with all due respect, I don't agree at all. I think the mods do a good job overall and there is a lot of good dialogue. I've only had one "difficult situation" with a mod in the 18 months or so on this board and in some instance I have purposefully tried to be controversial.

I'm late to this thread, but with all due respect, I don't agree at all. I think the mods do a good job overall and there is a lot of good dialogue.

I second this viewpoint. I have only been "moderated" once (that I can recall), and in that instance I needed the mod's help to delete a post I submitted that I didn't know how to do myself. The response was prompt and friendly, and I appreciated the positive attitude.

Another time (again, only once), a moderator closed a thread that to me and possibly others was quite upsetting - again, an appreciated effort.

But to the original post on this thread: there are plenty of reasons to take a break from any site, and it's good to do so. I think there are many people who will look forward to your return when you choose to do so :)

I think this is a pretty liberal and friendly place and the mods do a good job in policing, as well as posting interesting topics and replying with well thoughtout insights.

Back
Top Bottom