Taking an indefinite break from the board

I've decided to try to avoid posting on potentially controversial topics, such as nutrition and health.

I find myself compelled to post when I think someone is wrong, and would change their mind if I post a very clear explanation of my point of view.

Example:

Let's say someone posts "You will need 70% of your salary when you retire." I can't help but to post that someone who makes $200K per year, but only spends $40K per year, is not going to need $140K per year after retiring."

But even if that poster changes his/her mind (unlikely), someone else will post the same idea, and the cycle will continue.

This will be my compromise between a complete cessation of posting and continuing as I do now.

Does "bacon" fit into both categories?

:D ;)

I never let a thread topic keep me from posting - on topic or not - I just like to post.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

heh heh heh - besides some things bear repeating. I think? :greetings10:

I think this is a pretty liberal and friendly place and the mods do a good job in policing, as well as posting interesting topics and replying with well thoughtout insights.

+1. I've been disciplined a couple times a few years back and it was justified. I issued apologies and all is forgiven. You can't hold a grudge because some post didn't go your way or if a moderator took you to task for some viewpoint. I find the forum very interesting but more informative than anything. Maybe it's time for a big thank you to the mod's for doing a great job knowing fullwell that you are way overpaid.

DFW_M5 said:
I think this is a pretty liberal and friendly place and the mods do a good job in policing, as well as posting interesting topics and replying with well thoughtout insights.

+1. I appreciate the civil discussion and thoughtful moderation here. Kudos.

SIS

I've decided to try to avoid posting on potentially controversial topics, such as nutrition and health.
Health and nutrition is an area where you are experienced and informed and bring an attitude of self experimentation. I would hate to see you stop sharing on these topics. Health is like psychology and stock markets- many think they know all there is to know. But if sometimes they are wrong, (or perhaps right, but only in their own individual case), is no reason to stop sharing what you believe.

My sister has diabetes only marginally controlled. She thinks she is slim, and she thinks she eats low carb. But it is only a dream. I shared information with her and with my brother. He turned his diabetes completely around to where his A1C is not even prediabetic, after 35 years of diabetes. Sister continues to get worse. Nothing can be done. In these situations, I comfort myself by recalling that knowledge is less than half of the battle, and maybe to her it is just not worth it. On a personal level, she is much more pleasant than he is.

This is not a criticism of you, it is a request that you keep posting on these topics. Some will learn from you, and use all or part of what you say. (I have learned from you, since I know that whatever you say is based on some personal or published information).

For example, I believe that very few of us could spend 1000 kc/day exercising and not keep weight stable or slowly decreasing. At the same time, in almost 9 months my highest daily output was 952 kc. So I know I am not going to keep weight stable at this point in my life solely on output. Because of this, and also my blood sugar concerns, I find low carb by far the most comfortable and effective method to go along with the level of exercise that I am willing and able to do. But I think that there is no mandatory diet for everyone. Look at all the skinny vegans! Anyway, it is good to have intelligent partisans like yourself to hold up one end of a discussion.

I come here mainly to learn. To keep up my end of the bargain, I think I should post when I have experience or insights or information that bear on the topic, even if my opinion is less popular or well accepted than others. This does not mean that I am wrong, or that I am right, or even that anyone necessarily disagrees with me- they may have me on ignore! people can see things quite differently from me, but that does not make it a disagreement. It only becomes a disagreement when we start a bilateral or multilateral argument.

Ha

Last edited:

I find myself compelled to post when I think someone is wrong, and would change their mind if I post a very clear explanation of my point of view...
If I find a post on a topic I consider to be one of my many strengths:LOL:, I will contribute my POV. However I have no compulsion to argue/defend the position. After all, there are always 2 opposing viewpoints on most topics. I let people take the advice for what they paid for it!

I agree that contentious topics can never be resolved online. So I stay away.

If I find a post on a topic I consider to be one of my many strengths:LOL:, I will contribute my POV. However I have no compulsion to argue/defend the position. After all, there are always 2 opposing viewpoints on most topics. I let people take the advice for what they paid for it!

I agree that contentious topics can never be resolved online. So I stay away.

Hmmmm - perhaps more than two. Other than yes or no I agree or don't agree. How about maybe but have you tryed this or that?

:D

heh heh heh - sometimes a topic generates a surprise aha - sending me off to Google for more info. :greetings10:

I find myself compelled to post when I think someone is wrong, and would change their mind if I post a very clear explanation of my point of view.

Well I would hope you don't quite posting on controversial topics!

I do like it when people post on those topics even if I may not agree with that person's point of view. I do like to hear the explanation although I may or may not agree with it. But then (perhaps because of my professional background) it doesn't bother me to see two people have strongly held, but differing views on a topic. It is all information to weigh.

What I do want to see is civility in posting another point of view and treating the person with respect even if one disagrees. I have found your posts civil.

Dittoe what the others have said, if you stop posting our collective health IQ will go down immensely. Please keep on doing on.

Al - +1 to the posters telling you to keep posting on health topics. Your posts contributed to my decision to join DW in her low carb experiment. The results were dramatic and turned me into a believer. Saw some vague outlines of a six pack this morning. If I up my HIT intensity who knows, I may be compelled to post photos :)

Al - +1 to the posters telling you to keep posting on health topics. Your posts contributed to my decision to join DW in her low carb experiment. The results were dramatic and turned me into a believer. Saw some vague outlines of a six pack this morning. If I up my HIT intensity who knows, I may be compelled to post photos :)

Let's see both before and after pics, you can start now:D

I can only dream of ever seeing a 6-pack again, considering I have a keg now.

Hi all,

I'm taking an indefinite break from the board.

Not that I think I'm so important to this board that anyone would miss me, but there are many here whom I consider friends who might wonder about me not posting for a while; a PM to those folks would inevitably leave out someone.

I'm not dead. I may return at some point. I will probably log in over the next few days to read any comments on this thread. I will not be explaining the reasons for my break except to say that there are multiple reasons, none of which have anything to do with my health, my FI(RE) plans, or any of the regular posters here.

Best wishes to all of you.

:flowers::greetings10:

2Cor521

I've enjoyed your participation here. I understand the need to take a break and have done so myself several times.

Au revoir...

donheff said:

Thanks guys, I guess I can't resist anyway.

Note the same is true for me: this forum got me interested in low-carb.

Saw some vague outlines of a six pack this morning. If I up my HIT intensity who knows, I may be compelled to post photos :)
We should all make a deal: if you promise not to post personal six-pack photos, then I promise not to post personal six-pack photos...

We should all make a deal: if you promise not to post personal six-pack photos, then I promise not to post personal six-pack photos...
I refuse to be a party to your agreement. I'm having my own party...

Attachments

• shiner bock.jpg
    shiner bock.jpg
    565.4 KB · Views: 4
We have had an ER Forum post a picture of his "situation" (not me), and I'm not telling who it was.

Now I am thisty for a 6-pack............:)

OMG. You guys are fixated on six pack abs. Dang. Glad I'm a girl;-)

Wow, still lurking after 45 days. Might as well post...

Nords said:
Are we going to keep tabs on TromboneAl, too?

Al didn't say he was taking a break - just spending less time. We can still probably tease him back with a good health topic.

Back
Top Bottom