Join Early Retirement Today

The Bailoutville Experiment
Old 09-22-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
Administrator

The Bailoutville Experiment

I got word that some of you were wondering what the link under the ad was for the Bailoutville Experiment. Basically a friend called me about an idea to setup a place for all the people to talk about issues related to the Government Bailout going on. I thought this would be a good exercise for me to test out my Search Engine Optimization skills to see if I could get the site ranking high in the search engines within a couple weeks. I also thought it might be a good place for some of our members who really want to obsess with details of the bailout that fallout side of the FIRE scope. Obviously we have the Soapbox and FIREY & Money areas of this site for these discussions too.

The Bailoutville Experiment is setup unlike any other forum I have worked with where you can post without registering. It's only been online for about 24 hours (at time of this post) and traffic is slowly building and we are already #1 in Google for the search phrase "Bailout Discussions" (link).

If you want to obsess about the Bailout then please setup an account and chime in on Bailoutville.com. It might be kind of fun to see where this experiment is in a couple weeks.

Click here to visit the Bailoutville Experiment. A place to obsess about all the non FIRE details of the Bailout.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
It might be kind of fun to see where this experiment is in a couple weeks.

[/B][/CENTER]
Heck, it'll be interesting to see how the 'real' bailout experiment works out, not looking so god on the first day.
Old 09-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I thought this would be a good exercise for me to test out my Search Engine Optimization skills to see if I could get the site ranking high in the search engines within a couple weeks.

Unless you're shelling out for adWords, you won't make it on google top search results in a few weeks. Even with vbSEO tweaks you still need
  1. lots of sites linking to yours
  2. time to pass
for your PageRank value to increase.
slouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
Administrator

Slouch,

You are probably right for keywords that have authority already but it seems there might be some wiggle room on this one. For me it's a fun experiment. My friend Eric is "working the blogs' and trying to recruit back links from many of them. Heck, a day after we already are ranking and have some organic search traffic. vBSEO is just a tiny part of the SEO. Most of it is from "old school" things like H1 tags, keyword density, and of course links back with strong anchor text relevancy. We are also submitting sitemaps to Google and Yahoo, so that will help to. To me the most interesting part is not the SEO but to see how a forum that allows guests to post will fare.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bailoutville.jpg (98.0 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-22-2008, 08:32 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Is E-R.org really the appropriate place to run this experiment? Do we really need to attract even more attention to the board, to make it require even more server bandwidth and other resources? Or aren't the moderators working hard enough on the spam & trolls already?

If this experiment is being run for profit, then how do E-R.org or the members benefit?

Do we really need to see the ad on every single freakin' page of the whole website? (Smells like spam no matter who's cooking it.) Perhaps instead of getting that in our faces with every refresh, the ad could be relegated to the rotating series in the upper-right-hand corner.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:50 PM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Is E-R.org really the appropriate place to run this experiment?
Well I do think some of the members here might want to talk about issues regarding the bailout beyond those related to FIRE. One idea was to try and focus some of the non-FIRE discussions from here to reduce the "signal to noise ratio". Do you think the Yoga site would be more relevant?
Quote:
Do we really need to attract even more attention to the board, to make it require even more server bandwidth and other resources?
It's running on a different server. I think the link back to us is certainly not going to bog down our server(s).
Quote:
Or aren't the moderators working hard enough on the spam & trolls already?
If this causes any extra work for the mods I'll stop the experiment...
Quote:
If this experiment is being run for profit, then how do E-R.org or the members benefit?
If they want to talk economics or other issues maybe they will be interested in the discussions there, maybe not?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:06 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Seems like an interesting experiment. I remember my job running some web squirrels back in the day and really enjoying the SEO stuff and learning about how search works.
Should be very enlightening to see how the guest posting works, too.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 09:48 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Well I do think some of the members here might want to talk about issues regarding the bailout beyond those related to FIRE. One idea was to try and focus some of the non-FIRE discussions from here to reduce the "signal to noise ratio". Do you think the Yoga site would be more relevant?
No, I'm not questioning the topic. My point is that if this is an experiment in SEO then perhaps it could be run on another group of guinea pigs. I don't appreciate having more ads pop up like that and I don't see how the experiment benefits E-R.org.

Now, if you're planning offload the Soapbox to another server, that seems like a great idea. It could be called "Soapbox" instead of "Bailoutville" and it could offload all the content that the E-R.org moderators don't enjoy moderating. And since Soapbox content rarely has anything to do with FIRE, anyway, even the Yoga audience might find it compelling.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:19 AM   #9

Quote:
Soapbox content rarely has anything to do with FIRE, anyway, even the Yoga audience might find it compelling.
I think yoga is kind of the antithesis of soapbox thinking..! More likely that the people stressed out from the SoapBox seek refuge at the yoga joint than vice-versa..
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Guinea pigs? Darn, and I just replaced my marmot picture!
Funny about yoga, I had two friends have a moderately sized disagreement last night over which kind of yoga was "best", the one where you are doing yoga for exercise or the one focused on meditation and relaxation. Ever the mediator, I offered that they didn't have to go to the same class! I didn't even know there were different kinds of yoga, so maybe I need to head on over to the yoga forum!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #11

Sarah, I've only been to a very traditional (I assume Hatha) Yoga practice. It wasn't given a name. But in the States there seem to be a lot of competing 'brands'. The most famous recently is "hot" yoga (done in a superheated room). It's famous, or rather infamous, because its promoter (Bikram?) has been trying to copyright centuries-old positions, blocking others -with court injunctions- from teaching his special sequences or some such nonsense..

There are probably many more but I have also heard of "flow" yoga, Kundalini yoga, Iyengar yoga, etc.

One "correct" answer to which is best is, on the one hand, whatever suits one's needs at the time. The more 'yogic' answer, I would say, is that an incorporation of breathing and meditation is just as important as sheer physical control or exertion; they should go hand-in-hand. And that's not even getting into the philosophical/spiritual/karmic/everyday life aspects .. which are also part of the "union" or uniting (yoga).

You did well to defuse the argument, anyway! That should reflect well on your karma.. even if the two sides did not unite in agreement.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I was trying to find some photos of some mean looking "yoga gangs", but was very unsuccessful. Lots of other good pictures though.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #13

ooo they can get rough!.. (err.. relatively speaking)
There are competitions, too, which seems pretty antithetical to the whole thing.

There's a documentary, "Yoga, Inc." that gets into all this.

clips here:
http://www.baddogtales.com/BadDogTal...0/Archive.html

Seems it is restricted to TV channels and conventional distribution, though I'm sure I watched the whole thing online many months ago or even last year. Maybe that was before the documentary itself got any commercial notice. Nope, I remember now that it was on some SKY satellite channel here.