Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-14-2010, 03:38 PM   #61
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Hysterical to go back and read twaddle defending her. Almost reads like a shill.
I went back and read the thread (it was closed just before I joined the forum) and had exactly the same thought.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

One of my favorite threads...

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...-it-16828.html

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:23 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I'd forgotten that classic - probably had a mini-stroke when I first read it...
Old 12-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
I was a moderator at the time. There was at least as much background messaging between MMND and the moderators trying to help her fit in and perhaps tone down her style.
Wow. It should not have been so hard for her to figure out. Just take it easy, just take it slow, no need to worry, 'til the sireens blow...

Ha
Old 12-14-2010, 04:32 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh, that was classic!

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:56 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Primo thread. A bit before my time so I missed it. Enjoyed reading it very much.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:49 PM   #67
Full time employment: Posting here.

Ah, I remember the Retire Early forum on the Motley Fool website. I was one of the ones who stopped reading it after they started charging for it.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:48 PM   #68
Give me a forum ...

I enjoyed REW's post. It should be made a "sticky" thread.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:50 PM   #69
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I enjoyed REW's post. It should be made a "sticky" thread.
... like the one about Bull Semen?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 06:54 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

I read that thread too. X-treme thread hijacking, that one!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:49 PM   #71
Administrator

I lurked during the TMF days, until they wanted to charge for it. Later I found the intercst REHP site and lurked there and then lurked here for a few years until I finally joined. Here's a question for the old timers -- did people at one time (maybe in the TMF days) use a tagline "_____ since 1902", like "snorting bacon since 1902" or "investing in annuities since 1902" or something like that? I seem to recall that, but it may have been elsewhere.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I lurked during the TMF days, until they wanted to charge for it. Later I found the intercst REHP site and lurked there and then lurked here for a few years until I finally joined. Here's a question for the old timers -- did people at one time (maybe in the TMF days) use a tagline "_____ since 1902", like "snorting bacon since 1902" or "investing in annuities since 1902" or something like that? I seem to recall that, but it may have been elsewhere.
Made me look. I did a search for "since 1902" and this one (#37) popped up: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post262340

And one of the coolest thiings about this forum is that you can read threads as old as this--started in July 2003! When dinosaurs roamed the financial landscape.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:50 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

That phrase (and I thought it was 1901) was from the TMF Early Retirement board. Never saw it used here.

I got a free membership when the charged for TMF so I kept posting until it went downhill.

Posting made up facts on internet discussion boards since 1901.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:00 PM   #74
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for posting the history.

As one of probably many resident lurkers I appreciated being filled in on some of the back story.

As for mmnd; I am left with a headache.

To many more years!
Coderguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:03 PM   #75
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I first got serious about RE in early 2007, and I also read the article in Fortune regarding Nords. Once I found this site in Jan '10, I knew I had to log on. Thanks to everyone for the wealth of information and experience that is shared here! It took me a couple of months to put 2&2 together and realize that Nords was the guy I had read about a few years ago!
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I lurked during the TMF days, until they wanted to charge for it. Later I found the intercst REHP site and lurked there and then lurked here for a few years until I finally joined.
+1

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:13 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
BTW, what happened with Google shutting her down? I don't recall hearing about that.
Depends on whose conspiracy theory you endorse. Google (owner of Blogger) disabled her blog and her other Google accounts. When Google does such a thing it's usually for some violation of terms of service or other customer complaints. Another possibility is that her account was somehow hacked by someone who went on to violate her terms of service and got her in trouble. She chose to believe in the hacker theory.

She also used to post her portfolio history/results. I noticed that stopped in late 2008/early 2009.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeNFO View Post
It took me a couple of months to put 2&2 together and realize that Nords was the guy I had read about a few years ago!
Glad to help! Funny story. IIRC that article came out in the June issue of Forbes. In July we went on a college tour, and the first stop was Notre Dame. (Their alumni shower so much money on their NROTC unit, the nation's largest, that the staff doesn't even bother to ask Navy for funding. In 2007 this included their brand-new $7M training building.) We really enjoyed the tour but spouse and I were trying very hard to fade into the background and get our daughter out front to ask the questions. She started getting into it and by the end of the day she was firmly in charge.

We were sitting in the submarine lieutenant's office while she interviewed him about their program, and things were going pretty well. Suddenly he made eye contact with me and said "Hey, you're the guy in Forbes, aren't you?" Her interview was over-- suddenly he was interviewing me about my career and the Reserves and his other options.

We eventually got back on track, but our daughter was thoroughly disgusted. At the next two colleges we were lucky that we even got into the lieutenant's offices...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

I was an active poster when the whole MMND showdown happened and I had no memory of it! I gotta start paying more attention...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:22 AM   #79
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

As Clifp said, the "[insert subject here] since 1901" tagline was from the Motley Fool board and a few folks carried it over when they began posting here.

Unlike dryer sheets or bacon, it lacked staying power...
Old 12-15-2010, 05:57 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Ah, the only problem with MMND is that she had such a thin skin that she didn't stay around serving as the pinata long enough. She was at least coherent, as opposed to the 40 paragraph hoco-rants and the bizarre quasi-legal arguments spouted by Emeticus.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote