Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The Retire Early Home Page
Old 11-11-2005, 12:17 PM   #61
Confused about dryer sheets

I am a 41 year old female and wondering if I should retire early. I don't a thing about early retirement, how to do it, or what if any consequences there are. I would just like some info. I also don't know how to find out how much i would get monthly if I do.
tommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2005, 01:12 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie
I am a 41 year old female and wondering if I should retire early.* I don't a thing about early retirement, how to do it, or what if any consequences there are.* I would just like some info.* I also don't know how to find out how much i would get monthly if I do.
Well, young lady, you've come to the right place.

In this forum you will find all the answers you need.

Just get yourself some popcorn, have a seat, and enjoy the ride here.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:31 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

It's funny how some people think of how long they have to go....8 years or 5 years, etc. For many years I have thought of it this way....when I was 38 I thought, 'I can retire today....if I want to live in a trailer in the country'. Today I think, 'I can retire today.....if I want to sell my house and live well in Mexico'. I keep working and saving because I know that DW won't live in a trailer or in Mexico, but mentally, I know we can if we want to. I guess everyone has to decide on their big day. Personally I will keep working until my kid is in college and I am fully vested in my pension....9 more years, but there is that part of my brain that says....I can retire today.....if
Old 12-13-2005, 02:31 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk_to_dawn
It's funny how some people think of how long they have to go....8 years or 5 years, etc.* For many years I have thought of it this way....when I was 38 I thought, 'I can retire today....if I want to live in a trailer in the country'.* Today I think, 'I can retire today.....if I want to sell my house and live well in Mexico'.* I keep working and saving because I know that DW won't live in a trailer or in Mexico, but mentally, I know we can if we want to.* I guess everyone has to decide on their big day.* Personally I will keep working until my kid is in college and I am fully vested in my pension....9 more years, but there is that part of my brain that says....I can retire today.....if
Welcome to the board.

Yes, we can all retire if........
Each of us has our own "if" list we use to balance resources accumulation vs future income needs. For some that means working in the salt mines another 1,5, or 10 years to get the Brass Ring of pension, fully vested 401K, stock options or what have you. For others, it means getting out from under the thumb of management and being free. The cost for do so is an individual matter and depends on your wants and needs.

She you could live in a travel trailer in Mexico eating beans and rice but if that does not make you happy tben what will?
Your What will tell you how much you need to have in the vault to fund your needs. When the level in the vault equals your needs (plus a little slop for just in case) you are there.

Glad to have you here and I am looking forward to your thoughts and comments.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:59 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk_to_dawn
It's funny how some people think of how long they have to go....8 years or 5 years, etc. For many years I have thought of it this way....when I was 38 I thought, 'I can retire today....if I want to live in a trailer in the country'. Today I think, 'I can retire today.....if I want to sell my house and live well in Mexico'.
I think the year counts are odd, too. I've thrown out 10, 15 and 20 years as figures but try to qualify them as extremely rough guestimates. (Before I did projections I guessed 10-15 years; after projections I figure 20 if things go reasonably well.) Since I've been free of debt and watching the money pile grow I can begin to entertain options other than my previously envisioned "traditional" ER. Only quite recently while reading Terhorst's book have I begun regularly entertaining the idea of semi-retiring now/soon. So now I can look at it your way and say "I can quit now if I work odd jobs here and there and live very frugally." I like your way of looking at it; it will be a good periodic mental exercise instead of wating 10-20 years for 4% to cover a year's expenses.
BigMoneyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 09:28 AM   #66
Confused about dryer sheets

I may be on the wrong board....but I'm new to the forum. Can I download the FireCalc program to my computer so as to make changes and get results without being logged on to the web?
beeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 09:38 AM   #67
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker
I may be on the wrong board....but I'm new to the forum. Can I download the FireCalc program to my computer so as to make changes and get results without being logged on to the web?
I'm not aware of any way to download FIRECalc.

Old 01-01-2006, 10:16 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker
I don't know of any way to download FIRECALC, but you can download intrcst's Safe Withdrawal Calculator:

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/softlist.html

The Save Withdrawal Calculator is a spreadsheet based historical simulator. The data base and the methodology are nearly identical for the two programs. FIRECALC is more user friendly and has some nice features that the Safe Withdrawal Calculator does not have. But you can do some things (including customize the program) easier with the Safe Withdrawal Calculator.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:24 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

They need to keep Bodi Miller and his parents off TV or I'll end up retired tomorrow. I don't need ideas like that.
TomSimpsonAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:41 AM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

He posts here under the name "brewer123456". But he swears he's a 15 year old named 'michelle'.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:07 PM   #71
Recycles dryer sheets

Why did retireearlyhomepage.com drop the dory36 message board from their front page? Just noticed it about 10 minutes ago.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:25 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry
Why did retireearlyhomepage.com drop the dory36 message board from their front page? Just noticed it about 10 minutes ago.
I don't know. It just happened a day or two ago, and I don't think anybody's heard why.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:35 PM   #73
Early-Retirement.org Founder
Developer of FIRECalc

No way to download, but you can export a spreadsheet (with the formulas) as long as you don't use one of the alternate spending models (95% rule or Bernicke).

The spreadsheet isn't formatted to be pretty, but you can have something on your PC that will let you play around.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. Mark Twain
dory36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:41 PM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
I don't know. It just happened a day or two ago, and I don't think anybody's heard why.
Are we talking here?* http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/index.htm

Because the link to this board is there and it works...

Oooooh, I get it now:* http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/

I see Dory's been booted to make room for a VA ad!

(Hey, Wab, we cross-posted. No, really!)

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:42 PM   #75

Compare and contrast:

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:47 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Are we talking here? http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/index.htm

Because the link to this board is there and it works...

Oooooh, I get it now: http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/

I see Dory's been booted to make room for a VA ad!

(Hey, Wab, we cross-posted. No, really!)
Ah, I see. There's and index.htm and an index.html, and it's defaulting to index.html when you use http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/ . I don't know if eliminating the link here is an oversight or intentional, but the double index file is likely unintended. I'll ask about it.
Old 05-18-2006, 01:50 PM   #77

You can tell by the date of the "magazine volume" that the newer version is the one missing the link to this board.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 01:52 PM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wab
You can tell by the date of the "magazine volume" that the newer version is the one missing the link to this board.
I bet Greaney doesn't even realize he has the old version of the magazine volume still popping up.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:30 AM   #79

I still see the Dory links on all the appropriate places on John Greaney's site (next to the VA ad), and they work...alternative universe?
Old 05-19-2006, 07:58 AM   #80

I PM'ed intercst about the double index without explicitly asking why or whether the link here was gone. When he fixed things our link was back.