Join Early Retirement Today

The two second delay...
Old 07-28-2007, 10:08 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The two second delay...

...anyone else getting it?

You post, the thread re-displays, you hit <home> or <pageup> to get back to the 'new posts/usercp' menu bar...and about 2 seconds after you hit 'post' the screen refreshes and re-centers on your response....back at the bottom of the screen?

I think theres an option in here somewhere about 'show my reply' or something like that. Maybe I have that switched on and its causing a double-pump on the screen refresh.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2007, 05:30 PM   #2
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
...anyone else getting it?

You post, the thread re-displays, you hit <home> or <pageup> to get back to the 'new posts/usercp' menu bar...and about 2 seconds after you hit 'post' the screen refreshes and re-centers on your response....back at the bottom of the screen?

I think theres an option in here somewhere about 'show my reply' or something like that. Maybe I have that switched on and its causing a double-pump on the screen refresh.
Yes.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Let's see...

Yes, it happens for me if I don't use the Quick Reply.

A lot of times a thread will refresh totally after about two seconds, even if I am not posting to it.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
Administrator

Ok, I am testing via the quick reply. It is my understanding the quick reply does not cause a new page to load but adds your post to the thread using AJAX. After I post this I am going to hit page up and hold to see if the post page is pull back down to the latest post (I think that is what you are saying). After this post I am going to use the full reply.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Testing via full reply....
Old 07-28-2007, 08:17 PM   #5
Administrator

Testing via full reply....

On the last post via the quick reply the post was added to the thread without a page refresh (AJAX). I then hit page up but it did not take me back down to the last post.

From this post I am using the full reply which does not use AJAX. I believe it will post to the thread and then pull the page down to what is called a named anchor. In this case what the program is doing is posting the post and taking you back to the thread but automatically taking you to the last post anchor.

Here is more info on anchors from Wikipedia:
Quote:
Alternatively (and sometimes concurrently), the element becomes an anchor with the name attribute set, which preceded by a number sign ' # ', and appended to the URL, acts as a link target (a "document fragment"), typically causing a Web browser to scroll directly to that point of the page. Any element can be made into an anchor by using the id attribute,[5] so using <a name="foo"> is not necessary.
See also:link
I am thinking that maybe it is this scenario from the full reply that is being discussed here.

I'll post after this posts to see if I can recreate the issue.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

On looking at this thread, this is what happens...the thread displayed but it showed the bottom half of al's post, and yours. Then two seconds later, the screen 'bumped' up so only your post was showing.

When I'm posting, I hit "post reply" and the screen repaints, shows the thread with my post but part of the one above it as well, then 2 seconds later does the same thing...repaints and bumps so only my post is showing.

Its just a minor annoyance really, I hit post, then hit 'home' and go to click on 'new posts' or 'user cp' and before I can click on them, the screen bounces back to the bottom and shows my post again.

I guess I oughta just slow down a little
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:22 PM   #7
Administrator

When the full reply is posted it indeed does go back to the thread and to an anchor (see attachment). In the last post I scrolled to the top before the page had completely finished loading and when it finished it pull me back down to the last post. This is what the program is supposed to do, ie. take the person posting to the end of the discussions. I don't know which is better removing this feature and having people scroll down to see their post or leaving it as is and having to wait for the whole page to render before scroll up. Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: gif anchor link.gif (1.4 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-28-2007, 08:26 PM   #8
Administrator

CFB, I think it's because the page is not fully rendered (ie parts are still loading at the bottom). It would be helpful if you could watch the status bar (bottom left) and see if it shows what is still loading. When the page is finished it will say done. Also, what browser are you using?

Another option would be using the Quick Reply box. That would be the most efficient (less page loads), can you try that and see if it helps?
Old 07-28-2007, 08:35 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Firefox, latest version.

Probably the case, it just hasnt finished its rendering.

Seems like this is something pretty new...not sure if its related to the firefox update I got a few days back or if its the server running a little slow.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:46 PM   #10
Administrator

Unless you need to attach files, advanced formatting or other features from the full reply it might be faster (and avoid this) using the Quick Reply.

Also, a little side note, E-R.org is not load balanced yet, I will set that up this next week. I expect to see more gains in the week to come. I plan to save up for a couple months for another beefy server to put into load balancing to make speeds even faster. This morning when the site was down the two that were on load balance worked as planned. It's ok with two server but I suspect that when one server has to carry all the load it will run at red line. So the goal with time is to spread this out and make things as fast as possible (thanks for your patience while I do this).
Old 07-28-2007, 08:53 PM   #11
Administrator

You might try changing your thread view option to show the newest post first, at the top of the screen. It seems fix this.

You can make this change in your user CP:

> edit options then scroll down to thread display options.
> Choose linear, newest first.
Scroll down and hit save to keep these changes
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:39 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Les postes seront alors organisées pour lire par les sauvages
Old 07-29-2007, 06:32 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Okay, from what I've been able to observe, it flips from 'transferring data' to 'waiting' and then theres the two second pause and then so fast I had to do it about 20 times before I made it out, something about google, then 'done'.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:46 PM   #14
Administrator

I think that is the Google Analytics code (see attachment) that is at the bottom of the page. It must be waiting until that is called before the page "jumps" to the named anchor (most recent post).

I think Google has been a little slow lately. I was in the Webmaster Tools section yesterday and it was taking forever for them to verify some information that used to be almost instantaneous. I hope those new data centers are finished soon.

(side note, I think real estate investing in the towns where these new mega data centers are being build is brilliant, the start of re-ruralization).
Attached Images
File Type: gif google analytics.gif (1.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 07-29-2007, 06:52 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Okay, yep thats it because I just did it a bunch more times and saw 'analytics' in the millisecond flash before it went away.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:03 PM   #16
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Les postes seront alors organisées pour lire par les sauvages
Sauvages ?
Il n'y pas aucun des sauvages ici.
Peut-être un autre forum ?
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 08:24 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Moi?

Vous avez assassiné ce un Janet...
Old 07-30-2007, 08:11 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Sauvages ?
Il n'y pas aucun des sauvages ici.
Peut-être un autre forum ?
Attention, mes amis. Il y en a partout qui parlent francais. Moi, pour exemple, j'ai vécu en france pendant six mois et j'avais une fiancee francaise.

Et, si -- il y a bien des sauvages ici. .

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:48 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Mais mes amis, parlons-nous dans des langues modernes ou dans Baybayin?

Utiliserons-nous les mauvais traducteurs d'Internet qui produisent de doubles doubles négatifs ou se fondent sur ce que nos fiancées françaises ont chuchoté dans des nos oreilles?

Oh avancent, le didnt chacun ont-ils une fiancée française en même temps ou une autre?
Old 07-30-2007, 10:59 AM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

<delurking>

If this is what a 2 seconds delay does to you, maybe it is time to intervene.

I think the jump is caused by the "quick reply" box at the bottom.
Notice that after the jump, you can just see the top of the box awaiting your input.
Every time you open that box (arrows on right) it stays open for ever, but if you close it, it stays closed for the next posts and stops the annoying jump. So just close it and it will stop jumping.

I played with it when "go to new post" stopped working and also could not use the arrows to scroll.

Hope that helps,
<back to my knitting>
eeyore is offline   Reply With Quote