Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I think the soapbox was perfect. All the political stuff went into it and people finally got trained to do so. Now its going to be spewed all over the boards.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2008, 11:01 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
I think the soapbox was perfect. All the political stuff went into it and people finally got trained to do so. Now its going to be spewed all over the boards.
I disagree; I think it had already infected both FIRE AND MONEY and OTHER TOPICS, and that the usual suspects were basically given free reign.

And exactly why is it okay for NML to use "that word", when it wasn't okay in my post?

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 12-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Nobody complained or noticed?

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 12-18-2008, 01:32 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I disagree; I think it had already infected both FIRE AND MONEY and OTHER TOPICS, and that the usual suspects were basically given free reign.

And exactly why is it okay for NML to use "that word", when it wasn't okay in my post?
My apologies. I shall edit it.
Old 12-19-2008, 05:52 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
keep in mind the focus of this board. It's about early retirement. It's not about full contact politics; there are plenty of other places to go if you simply want to argue politics. In fact, i think your comment is evidence as to *why* generic political discussion needs the kibosh. It's because many people who enjoy full-contact politics are incapable of keeping it civil ("polite" and "subtle" to use your words) that we felt this is necessary.

You say we "can't be polite... With people who are wrong." two problems here: First. You can be polite with people who are "wrong"; it is possible to disagree with someone without thinking they are evil or stupid. And if you can't, that's a clear violation of the terms of service and the community rules. That's one of the things that personally depresses me about political discussion; sometimes it seems like people can't accept that intelligent and well-meaning people can possibly be "on the other side."

the second problem is that there isn't usually a "right" and a "wrong." there are merely two different perspectives. Okay, in extreme cases there may be right and wrong, but that's not the norm.

I hate to say it in some sense, but in my opinion what you said is exactly *why* we need to get rid of the soap box as we know it. Too much allowance on politics tends to create an us-versus-them attitude that can harm the sense of community and common goal that should bring us together. This forum is about early retirement. When political issues relate to fire, respectful and on-topic discussion of the political aspects is acceptable. When it bursts into flames, and when it has nothing to do with fire, it just divides us and makes life miserable. Who wants that?
IT WAS A JOKE!!! Of course we can be polite and of course there's rarely a "right" and a "wrong" - sorry to anyone who thought it was serious.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 12-19-2008, 06:50 AM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
IT WAS A JOKE!!! Of course we can be polite and of course there's rarely a "right" and a "wrong" - sorry to anyone who thought it was serious.
Thank you SO MUCH for explaining! I took it the other way, too, and was puzzled as it didn't like something the Midpack we all know would say.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-19-2008, 08:05 AM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

I don't mind heated discussions and we aren't always going to be polite. But snarky sarcasm is a big problem in political discussions. Maybe it is because the same people tend to participate and they become frustrated with each other because minds rarely change.

Ha, I don't see us as becoming a bunch of namby pambies. We still will argue about health care, tin foil hats, how cars are sold.

Sam, you pointed out some issues/fine lines. We will feel our way out as we go. If anyone questions a topic you can always pm a mod or admin and get some feedback.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 12-19-2008, 08:15 AM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

I think that the tone that would best serve the board is the US Senate where our Senators agree to disagree but are (usually) very congenial.
Old 12-19-2008, 08:43 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Ha, I don't see us as becoming a bunch of namby pambies. We still will argue about health care, tin foil hats, how cars are sold.
Martha, I think you will be proven right. I don't really like dumb arguments either, but they don't bother me. I either contribute a little, or walk on by.

But I do think that separating politics from the rest of life is more or less impossible. Politics is trying to create alliances to get more of what your group wants, at the expense of what the other group wants. This is pretty much life's core issue, outside of the spiritual and very personal. An interest in politics is necessary for active investment management.

Last night I saw a very good 1 1/2 hour PBS piece on the life and career of Lee Atwater. In spite of the basically disapproving stance taken "Wasn't he a bad thing for American politics?", it was interesting and Lee as a man was attractive in that special way of a typically conflicted and messed up and ironic Southern man. I absolutely love thinking and talking about people and things like this. I have one friend with the interest, smarts, education and freedom of mind for this kind of discussion. He is a retired professor. He lives in another Puget Sound City and we meet once a month, but I would sure enjoy more. I think many people here have the capacity for this kind of discussion too.

But I understand your and the other mods points.

Ha
Old 12-19-2008, 09:19 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
I think that the tone that would best serve the board is the US Senate where our Senators agree to disagree but are (usually) very congenial.
I agree. And I think political discussions "work" better here (even if segregated into the Soapbox) than anywhere else I've seen on the net. For the most part, if you go to a dedicated political web site/discussion board, the personalities of the other posters never develop beyond two-dimensional political cartoon characterizations. Its easy to name-call and hard to have a meaningful discussion when everyone is just a political hack. Here, we get to know each other a little bit, and we depend on each other for advice, info, and maybe even occasional emotional support for all kinds of things--recipes, leaky roofs, cranky kids, asset allocation, wedding planning, etc. Senators (usually) maintain a collegial tone with each other for two reasons: They never know who's help they might need in the future, and because they have often formed relationships, even across the aisle, that make it less likely that they'll see their political adversary as an idiot worthy of a put-down. I think the same applies here--except for the occasional drive-by poster or those who ONLY talk politics, the folks here do tend to be respectful of each other while disagreeing with the points made. That's why I'll miss the exchange of political views (usually polite, well reasoned, and sometimes with appropriate supporting info) that I get here and nowhere else. As a practical matter, as Ha points out, it is also often difficult to separate politics from the rest of our lives. The Soapbox at least let folks self-segregate topics that might be more heavily partisan.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:21 AM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Is shoe-throwing allowed?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:27 AM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Only if there is no disclosure of whether they were dodged by moving left or right....
Old 12-19-2008, 09:38 AM   #73
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post

Yes. Please throw these directly at me. Size 11, black. Mephistop Klara - WOMEN'S BOOTS

Aim carefully and try not to scratch them.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:43 AM   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Yes. Please throw these directly at me. Size 11, black. Mephistop Klara - WOMEN'S BOOTS

We can really see into your sole, Janet--

New only, or are gently worn boots all right?
Old 12-19-2008, 09:48 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I have a good friend who has completely stopped communicating with me since right before the election. ...Apparently the fact that I simply did not join in the bashing but continued talking about something nonpolitical with another acquaintance was enough for her to write me off.
This happened to me with 2 acquaintances.
I listened politely to their pitch to get me to vote "their way", but told them both I was apolitical with friends, as a rule. I would not engage.
I believe in the curtain at the polling places - voting is private as a personal freedom of choice.
I guess that was too radical.
Oh well...
Old 12-19-2008, 09:53 AM   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

OK, as long as I don't get the boot, or have you think I'm a heel. Or, your arch enemy.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:02 AM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

Free Fedex, how frugal. Those boots were made for walking.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:06 AM   #78
Moderator Emeritus

$395 for those boots?? Janet, I'm just not in step with that price.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:08 AM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe Janet's tea was laced with something.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:16 AM   #80

No, Rich, I don't think so.

I think Janet isn't in step with Mephisto prices either, but she's asking if you must throw shoes, make sure you throw premium brand!

-- Rita