Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 06:00 AM   #121
Administrator

I respectfully submit Mark Knopfler for your consideration.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2008, 07:09 AM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Heh, lots of good names, which is why "best" guitarist is such a tough call.

A few others: Robert Fripp, Chet Atkins, Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, Skunk Baxter, Randy Scruggs, Jerry Reed, Glen Campbell, Warren Haynes, Roy Clark, George Benson, Brad Paisley, Joe Don Rooney, Keith Urban...

Jaco, huh? Whole new can of worms.

Chris Squire, Greg Lake (also a good guitarist), Tony Levin, Berry Oakley, Roscoe Beck...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 12-21-2008, 09:09 AM   #123
Moderator Emeritus

Who is that Australian guy who plays hot accoustic guitar? I want to see him.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 12-21-2008, 10:09 AM   #124
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Who is that Australian guy who plays hot accoustic guitar? I want to see him.
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 12-21-2008, 06:12 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Before the thread completely turns to hottest guitar players....
I appreciate the moderators getting back to Sam and I. Still I must say I am disappointed in the guidance given. Although given the importance of the economy I'd think virtually all political discussion will be focused on the economy and as such relevant to FIRE. So hopefully on practical level the end of the soapbox won't matter too much.

Ok Jakes guitar is bit smaller than Hendrix's but I think he is every bit as good with it.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Here's a nomination- this guy has technique, and soul-Mr. Dicky B.

Allman Brothers is my alltime favorite white fronted band. Albert Collins is my favorite black blues band. And if jazz chops are legal, how about Goerge Benson?

Old 12-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
As one of our more eloquent moderators phrased it, "What we are really trying to avoid is the continuation of the threads whose sum and substance was, for example, 'Obama is a terrorist communist' or 'Palin is an ignorant fascist'. They did nothing but get people upset with each other..." Posts of this nature will no longer be appropriate on our forums. Raw politics brings out the worst in people and lowers the tone of the board. There are plenty of other places where this sort of discussion is allowed.
Yet one of the most popular topics on here was when Palin was chosen as VP running mate. It had over 1000 replies in a week. I don't recall any "Palin is a fascist" talk in there....

We are getting close to "overmoderation", IMHO. But, hey, it's YOUR board.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 12-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Over moderation FD? Really? Did you just say that with a straight face? Give me a break!
And another vote for Hendrix, although Ha is surely my long lost cousin since we both love the Allman Brothers!

Old 12-22-2008, 08:44 AM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Allman Brothers At The Fillmore East is one of my favorite albums of all time.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 12-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Hendrix could play...but he should have never opened his mouth...
Old 12-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Over moderation FD? Really? Did you just say that with a straight face? Give me a break!

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 12-22-2008, 01:18 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am with FD. Don't get me wrong the team of moderators do a great job moderating, I don't see a lot of unfair or arbitrarily decisions. However, at times it is like a basketball game were the refs are constantly calling fouls, travels etc. They aren't doing anything wrong but it disrupts the flow of the game and the fan enjoyment.

Don't get me wrong a basketball game without ref degenerates into jungle ball, and forum without moderation turns into USNET. But I think some forums especially the Soapbox forum would be benefit from reactive approach, where the moderators don't read any posts as moderators unless some people complain. Something to seriously consider next election cycle.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

I'm not sure how anyone can comment one the level of moderation, and whether that level is good/bad. I am unaware of how much really goes on.

There have been times that I have subscribed to a thread, and I have seen a few posts emailed to me that were deleted shortly thereafter. But there was no evidence of this otherwise (that I know of). Someone who viewed the thread, but never got the post emailed would not know that any moderation took place. So I have no idea how often that happens.

-ERD50
Old 12-22-2008, 04:09 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Well closed threads, moderator warnings, moderator edits (almost always for profanity/personal attacks I assume), and deleted post give me some idea.

On the Motley Fool when a post is pulled you can almost always tell or somebody well complain there post is pulled. Here complaining about moderation almost always gets a posted pulled... We will see if this post survives.

So my reference is here vs the Motley Fool or the WSJ, or a place like Slate. In general I find a more active moderation here compared to other sites. On the good side I enjoy the discussion more here also. If there is a cause and effect I am not sure.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #135
Give me a forum ...

In general, here's a tip to avoid getting moderated: Don't be a jerk. That will pretty much encompass the entire moderating experience I've had. Glad I could help.

And thanks for the compliment, clifp, I think, on that the moderation here might be what makes your experience a better one than other, less moderated, boards.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:37 PM   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
In general, here's a tip to avoid getting moderated: Don't be a jerk. That will pretty much encompass the entire moderating experience I've had. Glad I could help.

And thanks for the compliment, clifp, I think, on that the moderation here might be what makes your experience a better one than other, less moderated, boards.
Good advice Sarah. I hadn't thought of it but it summarizes what the community rules are all about.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:02 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

BSSC, I cannot take credit for that gem, I believe it came from Want2Retire or Cuppa Joe originally. But I do like it!

Old 12-24-2008, 07:51 AM   #138
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
BSSC, I cannot take credit for that gem, I believe it came from Want2Retire or Cuppa Joe originally. But I do like it!
Must have missed it but thanks for passing it on.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:49 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

I'm in the music mood....for your consideration ladies and germs...a man that plays the geetar....Joe Satriani...

Old 12-31-2008, 04:17 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post

But can she move like W? That moment will live in my memory as the high point of his 137 years in the White House.

Just had to get off one last inappropriate shot, eh Rich?