Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Turning over a new leaf in the Soap Box
Old 12-17-2008, 11:25 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Turning over a new leaf in the Soap Box

As you know, last spring we opened a new experimental forum to isolate and hopefully reduce the political discussion in other forums on the board.

Now
that the election season has passed, we will close the current Soap Box & Headline News forum effective January 1. We will move posting of non-political headline news topics to "Other Topics" and add a new section for "FIRE Related Political Topics." We will also implement new rules (and reiterate some old ones) regarding posting on political subjects:

1. Any political or government/policy related post must be related to the subject of early retirement in more than a tenuous fashion. Posting to debate Sarah Palin's wardrobe, for example, does not meet this test.

2. Be polite.
Treat those who disagree with you with respect even as you disagree.

3. Avoid sweeping generalizations and group characterizations (including generalizations regarding ideology and/or political party). Do not put aside collegial posting habits when you enter the newly renovated FIRE Related Political Topics Discussion section.

Thanks for your continued participation and help with a fresh start for the New Year.

REWahoo and the entire Moderator Team
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
As you know, last spring we opened a new experimental forum to isolate and hopefully reduce the political discussion in other forums on the board.

Now that the election season has passed, we will close the current Soap Box & Headline News forum effective January 1. We will move posting of non-political headline news topics to "Other Topics" and add a new section for "FIRE Related Political Topics." We will also implement new rules (and reiterate some old ones) regarding posting on political subjects:

1. Any political or government/policy related post must be related to the subject of early retirement in more than a tenuous fashion. Posting to debate Sarah Palin's wardrobe, for example, does not meet this test.

2. Be polite. Treat those who disagree with you with respect even as you disagree.

3. Avoid sweeping generalizations and group characterizations (including generalizations regarding ideology and/or political party). Do not put aside collegial posting habits when you enter the newly renovated FIRE Related Political Topics Discussion section.

Thanks for your continued participation and help with a fresh start for the New Year.

Ah, this is terrible news! Can't there be some place where we can smack each other around and employ beastly humor like we did in the good old days?

Do I have to go over to Yahoo to insult and be insulted?

A dark day in our history is upon us.

Ha
Old 12-17-2008, 11:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Ah, this is terrible news! Can't there be some place where we can smack each other around and employ beastly humor like we did in the good old days?

Do I have to go over to Yahoo to insult and be insulted?

A dark day in our history is upon us.

Ha
Ha, I'm guessing you're complaining because you're going to have to work a little harder to make your insults more veiled and sophisticated. Take heart - it will keep your mind sharper.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Good move and one that was given long consideration.

There was good and bad generated in the old Soapbox, and unfortunately some of the bad migrated into the more benign forums, souring the tone and raising the anger in ways that didn't do the board much good.

Plenty of political rage forums elsewhere for those who just can't contain themselves.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:18 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Good move and one that was given long consideration.

There was good and bad generated in the old Soapbox, and unfortunately some of the bad migrated into the more benign forums, souring the tone and raising the anger in ways that didn't do the board much good.

Plenty of political rage forums elsewhere for those who just can't contain themselves.
Maybe we just need to have a cool down time between when you last looked at the soapbox and when you are allowed to post somewhere else. Maybe 3 days?
Old 12-17-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Posting to debate Sarah Palin's wardrobe, for example, does not meet this test.

But we can do that in the Other forum or the FIRE and Money forum, right?
Old 12-17-2008, 01:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
But we can do that in the Other forum or the FIRE and Money forum, right?
As long as it isn't a political debate, sure.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:27 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As long as it isn't a political debate, sure.
Sometimes you guys remind me of the College of Cardinals.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:29 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
No, that's the University of Louisville.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 12-17-2008, 01:30 PM   #10

Quote:
You should see my spiffy new red hat!
Old 12-17-2008, 01:39 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

As long as its not the Arizona Cardinals playing Minnesota.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:54 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Now that the election season has passed, we will close the current Soap Box & Headline News forum effective January 1. We will move posting of non-political headline news topics to "Other Topics" and add a new section for "FIRE Related Political Topics." We will also implement new rules (and reiterate some old ones) regarding posting on political subjects:

2. Be polite. Treat those who disagree with you with respect even as you disagree.

Um......ok, so we are admitting the Soapbox was a mistake and moving on, got it.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 12-17-2008, 01:55 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That's because when we had to read some of those posts in the Soapbox, you could hear us whispering a muffled "Holy S(*&"!!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-17-2008, 01:56 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
Um......ok, so we are admitting the Soapbox was a mistake and moving on, got it.........
Mods/Admins never make mistakes. We just, er, seek out new directions.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:02 PM   #15

Mistake? Heck, no. It was simply an experiment which resulted in an unsatisfactory outcome.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:03 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Mistake? Heck, no. It was simply an experiment which resulted in an unsatisfactory outcome.
But enough about New Coke already.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 12-17-2008, 02:11 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It took Edison 3000 tries before he found a good filament material for his lightbulb.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
It took Edison 3000 tries before he found a good filament material for his lightbulb.
Yeah, and he was SMART!! That is, uh, er, I mean...

Old 12-17-2008, 02:22 PM   #19
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
Just a note:
It took the lab Edison managed 3000 tries before he could take credit for the light bulb.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:25 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Personally, I'm sorry to see the soapbox go, as it was a nice way to contain the bellicose ranting. I'll just continue to use the ignore thread and ignore poster functions. It is only a few bad actors that cause most of the turmoil anyway.
Closed Thread