Join Early Retirement Today

Upcoming Updates
Old 08-29-2009, 03:09 PM   #1
Administrator

Upcoming Updates

I wanted to post here and give you all a heads up on some updates that will be put in place in the next week or so. The look and feel of the site will be updated and a right column will be added. Since we know that our members get very used to things I wanted you all to know that you will be able to switch back to the current look and feel as well as turn off the right column. That means that we can move forward giving the community a makeover you can keep it looking exactly the same if you want.

The new skin is was developed to be softer and smoother then the current which is very square in style. The color palette is mostly a mix of soft blues and greens. Once the skin goes live we will be asking for feedback so we can tweak the look and feel based on your feedback.

Here is a what the header will look like:
ER header.gif

Here is what the post area will look like:
E-R Postbit.gif
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'll be first: "I hate it! Switch it back!"
Okay, maybe it will be fine. The little cartoon callouts promised an improved search function--if true, that's a big plus and more important than the look of the thing (radiused corners vs square, green vs blue--I hope no one gets paid money to make these "improvements").
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Administrator

Make sure to digest this part:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy R View Post
Since we know that our members get very used to things I wanted you all to know that you will be able to switch back to the current look and feel as well as turn off the right column. That means that we can move forward giving the community a makeover you can keep it looking exactly the same if you want.
It's important to make sure our members are happy and that means enabling you to keep things the way you like it. The default will be the new look but you will be able to set your account so anytime you are logged in you see the site the way you want.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

As long as things still appear visually in the same geographic part of the page, it doesn't sound like much of an adjustment.
Soft greens and blues sounds nice.
Old 08-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am here for the content, all else is just window dressing.
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I really like the new look! I've never had complaints about the current one, but I like the new colors and more rounded design - nice update!

WM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:41 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

So many of the vBulletin sites have the same theme/format/whatever--the new design looks great and will make this site distinctive. I'll use it! I love the color palette.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
As long as things still appear visually in the same geographic part of the page, it doesn't sound like much of an adjustment.
Soft greens and blues sounds nice.
I was hoping for pinks and fuchsia, with pastel mauve for an accent color, to attract more chicks and less engineers.

Thanks for giving us the option to use the old skin.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
I was hoping for pinks and fuchsia, with pastel mauve for an accent color, to attract more chicks and less engineers.

Well what about chick engineers like freebird and me? We're here, after all.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:49 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

The colors are nice, but then so are the current colors. I hope we don't give up too much space to the mysterious new right hand column.

Plus, now if I ever type .com by mistake I'll know right away that I'm not where I wanted to be.
quietman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:53 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Humm not sure how how to say this without getting in trouble.

Woman engineers (or scientist in your case) are a rare breed. They, like most men, tend to value function over aesthetics . It seems me one of the things Apple has shown is that you can get women interested in techy stuff, if you do a decent job with aesthetics.

Of course maybe you can get men interested in math and science with things like the ScienceCheerleader
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietman View Post
I hope we don't give up too much space to the mysterious new right hand column.
Not to worry:
Quote:
...you will be able to switch back to the current look and feel as well as turn off the right column.
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietman View Post
Plus, now if I ever type .com by mistake I'll know right away that I'm not where I wanted to be.
You will never know it because that URL is now automatically forwarded to this forum.
Old 08-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Humm not sure how how to say this without getting in trouble.

Woman engineers (or scientist in your case) are a rare breed. They, like most men, tend to value function over aesthetics . It seems me one of the things Apple has shown is that you can get women interested in techy stuff, if you do a decent job with aesthetics.

Of course maybe you can get men interested in math and science with things like the ScienceCheerleader
Ha ha!! That might work. I am thinking of a classmate of mine who was more interested in guitar than in our E.E. homework, but who was a victim of family pressure.

In my case I was very fortunate to be brought up in an environment in which my interests were not considered to be unusual or inappropriate for a girl. But I know that very few young girls are that lucky.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:49 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Looks nice Andy. Just make sure you don't mess up the RSS feed
Old 08-30-2009, 10:49 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I presume that the advertising banner will be in a column on the right, correct?

Design is important but no more so than function. Where will the user tools (User CP, New Posts and the like) live?
Old 08-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That means that we can move forward giving the community a makeover you can keep it looking exactly the same if you want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I'll be first: "I hate it! Switch it back!"
Another vote for keeping the "status quo" feature. Too much formatting and not enough content.

Why does vBulletin waste so much screen real estate on letting people know that a quote is about to happen? Is it hard to figure that out now?

I can never remember the significance of the stars & green squares around the avatars. Hopefully vBulletin adds more info when they're moused over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
...and more important than the look of the thing (radiused corners vs square, green vs blue--I hope no one gets paid money to make these "improvements").
What's the Early-Retirement.org font & logo intended to evoke?

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 01:35 PM   #17
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Just make sure you don't mess up the RSS feed
10-4. This will not affect the RSS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Where will the user tools (User CP, New Posts and the like) live?
Those will all remain in the same place, no change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Another vote for keeping the "status quo" feature.
All it will take is switching back to the old style and opting out of the side column (just a few clicks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
What's the Early-Retirement.org font & logo intended to evoke?
We experimented with some things like hammocks, sunsets, margaritas, palm trees, beaches, etc but they were all too cheesy. The new logo does not have a specific meaning but I can make one up... It represents FIRE and it's correlation with a beautiful plant that has to grow to mature into a hearty specimen to endure the ups & downs that life brings.

Really, I don't know how the organic leaf shapes got to be part of the design. I was working with the graphics folks and they just put them in there and it looked nice. The colors were selected based on an article I read years ago about the psychology of colors with blue meaning security and stability (ie IBM = Big Blue) and green for finance/money. I have been using the skin as I make changes and IMO it's quite nice. It's not busy, it's soft, subtle and strait forward. I think some of the items will need more contrast to make it as easy to read as possible. I look forward to further refining the look based on everyone's feedback.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:46 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Watch out, Andy

Ikea chain's new catalog font sparks worldwide reaction -- chicagotribune.com
Old 08-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I like it to be freshened up, too. It sets us apart from the other forums.
And anything can get stale if you see it every day!
Thanks, Andy!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:14 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Well, in my case you get 2 for the price of 1.
I be a chick.
I be an engineer.

And what the h*ll is mauve anyway?