what % of members have turned off the Soap Box entirely?

I think the majority of people I have on ignore are there due more to lack of a recognizable (by me anyway) sense of humor than for their opinions. I get tired of some people shaking their fingers at other people who are just having fun.

Hmm,new here,so no idea what your are all writing about.

Ignorance is bliss?

Sometimes for sure :)

ladelfina, from your posts (#1 and #11) on this thread, it seems to me that what you really want to know is how the ER forum breaks down in this election. You feel, and perhaps correctly so, that the vote that we are getting from the poll on Soapbox may not be a representative sample, since many may not be aware of it existence. It seems to me the simple solution would be for the moderators (if they want to) to put up a forum-wide poll in a special thread, with no discussion allowed, that everyone can see and know is there. Then anyone who wants to participate can vote anonymously, and you will presumably have as good a representative sample as you're going to get.

That is a good idea.
Mind you, I don't *need* to see a poll.. I was just idly wondering how to assess the existing one.

sam/REW .. sure, sure.. >:D

Polls posted in the soapbox are not going to be representative samplings of the posters here. The best and brightest have the soapbox on ignore. As for the rest of us, we are required to read it, despite the total lack of bacon posted therein. <sigh>

Polls posted in the soapbox are not going to be representative samplings of the posters here. The best and brightest have the soapbox on ignore. As for the rest of us, we are required to read it, despite the total lack of bacon posted therein. <sigh>

Hey hey there, hold your ponies...the soap box, as much as it is vilified is a fun place to hang out (for political junkies like me).

It's a place where you always know your views will be challenged and where you will have to defend your pov...sure, if you just have "faith" and that's why you think what you think, then it's not a fun place to hang out.

But some of us like [-]abuse[/-]...the intellectual rigor...:rant:

An aspect of a "healthy" group is one that can disagree, sometimes passionately so.

Sure, sometimes we're just chasing our tails, but sometimes, it's fun to get dizzy.

:-*

I really enjoy the Soapbox because it's stimulating and often just plain hilarious. The Moderators deserve pats on the back for wading through the posts and keeping us in line.

There are some very intelligent and knowledgable folks posting on the Soapbox - you know who you are - and I've learned a lot from them even though some have very different views from me..... and some don't.

I'll fight for my candidate, he is the guy I trust...but if he isn't chosen, I'm trying to prepare myself for a gracious acceptance of the other fellow since there's nothing I can do about it.

I think it would be a great place. Specially if it wasn't moderated. :) Since politics is never really civil. Just a pig dressed up with some lipstick.

Actually Notmuchlonger, I think it was a pitbull with lipstick - not a pig. Just a technicality, I know.

If you really want to see some incivility in politics, watch the British Parliamentary broadcasts. Here in USA the politicians are usually polite - at least to their faces.

Actually Notmuchlonger, I think it was a pitbull with lipstick - not a pig. Just a technicality, I know.

If you really want to see some incivility in politics, watch the British Parliamentary broadcasts. Here in USA the politicians are usually polite - at least to their faces.

Its a difficult situation when moderators are allowed to partake it a such volatile discussions. I would just prefer no moderation. However these boards are well run and I respect any all rules they have. :)

I'll fight for my candidate, he is the guy I trust...but if he isn't chosen, I'm trying to prepare myself for a gracious acceptance of the other fellow since there's nothing I can do about it.

This type of statement is one of the reasons I avoid the Soapbox. I cannot fathom how one can "trust" either Obama or McCain. Do you personally know either one? Have you met him? Had coffee with him? Watched a hockey game with him? Trust is something that belongs between two people who have a relationship. I might believe one candidate's promises; probably because it's what I want to hear or believe. I might think one candidate is more attractive, seems more intelligent, more experienced, more energetic, more idealistic, etc. etc. ad infinitum. Does that mean I trust either one? :2funny:

And yes, I realize my post is of the type that belongs in the Soapbox, and I apologize. My bad.

Here's a link for you and anyone else here who wants an open, unmoderated free speech forum to discuss politics:

Argue With Everyone Political Forums

Have fun! :)

If we were really smart here, don't you think we would get rid of the Soap Box and replace it with your link above?

This way people would click on it, get lost in that forum, and not find their way back here.

It's a place where you always know your views will be challenged and where you will have to defend your pov...sure, if you just have "faith" and that's why you think what you think, then it's not a fun place to hang out.:-*

Aside from being too [-]lazy[/-] busy to argue incessantly about politics, I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday. My political views are the result of years of thoughtful study... :2funny:

Last edited:
Aside from being too [-]lazy[/-] busy to argue incessantly politics, I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday. My political views are the result of years of thoughtful study... :2funny:

Bikini's, guns, and beer - ok so it was a fake photo! I'm a dirty old man.

Vote Democratic and cheer for the Saint's. What??

Thoughtful - I don't need no stinking thoughtful my mind is made up. Those that don't agree are entitled to their wrong opinion. Hell - if possible I'd vote for Edwin even though he's in the Federal Pen and I'm in another State.

Dang Federals!

heh heh heh - :cool: So will Brett survive the Jets?

Last edited:
I've visited [-]The Litter Box[/-] 'The Soap Box' two or at most three times. I haven't used the 'official' "Ignore Forum" feature (yet), I just ignore it and I don't venture there. I get enough political BS to fulfill my 'Daily Recommended Allowances' at the local coffee shop and via the nightly network news, and I ignore most of that as well. ;)

ditto - I don't have it on ignore but rarely go there

So, do you get hazardous duty pay, or just the spiffy t-shirt for [-]monitoring[/-] moderating the Soapbox:confused:?

-- Rita

Ok so we know the thread has a huge number of posts - BUT does it have the legs time wise to make to the 9th week of regular season - like you know the election.

I feel it's my Patriotic duty as an American to post a razz or something controversial if it starts to look puny. I think the NFL will be able to pick up the slack after that.

heh heh heh - :rolleyes: :D :cool:. Remember - this too shall pass. We don't want to permanently up anybody's blood pressure meds.

it is off and I don't miss it (it was on until last week).

I browse by viewing new posts link and it simplifies browing that way.

ladelfina, from your posts (#1 and #11) on this thread, it seems to me that what you really want to know is how the ER forum breaks down in this election.

I've polled the general community long before the soapbox was formed, principally because there were always complaints that the board was too left or right leaning. I found the breakdown to be pretty much exactly as it is in general america, with no significant weight on one side or the other.

As is typical of when someone feels there is some borg-like conglomeration of opinion or predominance of one type or other, actual testing proves otherwise.

It gets pretty ugly in there and I've turned it on and off several times. It's off now and I think I'll keep it that way until the elections are over.

I like you guys, but when I read some of the things that some of you post on political issues, well, it's darn hard to keep liking a few of you. I prefer that we stay friends.

As is typical of when someone feels there is some borg-like conglomeration of opinion or predominance of one type or other, actual testing proves otherwise.

Oh sure Bunny - just wait until the black helicopters take YOU away! :D

Back
Top Bottom