where was everybody?

Martha

Moderator Emeritus
Nice to be back after being off for a couple of hours. :) Dory, BMJ, do you know what happened?

I *promise* I'll type slower from now on.

Very much enjoyed the nostalgic original 'maintenance mode' message that the server would be down on 5/2 for 15 minutes for the installation of extra hard disk storage for all my and jg's posts...

In non-technical terms, the server was constipated, and it required an enema to gets things moving again -- and I didn't learn about it until 2 hours after the problem arose.

Technically, the problem was a full /tmp -- we raised it 4x.

Yup. Server problem. Apparently it went down around noon central. I noticed around 2pm central and put the board in maintenance mode and poked it a bit. I ultimately guessed the problem correctly, but dory36's server team had to figure it out independently as the problem was preventing my mail from getting to him.

Heh, well the admin functions of the board were messed up, too. I had to edit files by hand to get it in maintenance mode and then spend 15 minutes searching for how to change that message by hand. Maybe I'll go change it to a generic message for next time that happens....

Maybe if you spent those donations on server maintenance instead of beer........ ;)

I modified the forum database before I noticed the real problem. I ran an upgrade script on it and optimized it. It shouldn't have changed anything, but let me know if something looks amiss.

BigMoneyJim said:
By the way, CFB was the last poster before the board went down. :D

Hey...I took the blame...I'll type slower...you guys shovel a little more coal into the server...it'll all balance out.

(I know, I know... I shouldn't even comment until I've sent my tip in....)

(And, of course, there's no more useful or legitimate expense than beer......)

Cool Dood said:
Maybe if you spent those donations on server maintenance instead of beer........ ;)
I use the beer to bribe the guy who works on the server.

That's my story and I am sticking to it!

...and we've never seen the two of you together at the same time.

Maybe a hat, fake moustache and some funny glasses...and you're both the same guy!

We're waiting for a full After Action Review or a post mortem :D

I was out in the good weather - playing with the dog.

Sooo - you had a problem - When:confused:

heh heh heh

Jiggles said:
We're waiting for a full After Action Review or a post mortem  :D
It will be reviewed fully at the next staff meeting, where highly motivated participants will contribute to a valued-added outcome. The three cs - customers, competition and change - have created a new world for business maximization of shareholder wealth through separation of ownership from management motivating participants and capturing their expectations. To experience a profound paradigm shift, quantitative analysis of all the key ratios has a vital role to play in this building flexibility through spreading knowledge and self-organization.

Lets just make sure we meet all the criteria for ISO 9000/9001 compliance, and get ourselves to utility like five nines uptime from now on.

Yeah, its been a long time since I worked... ;)

Big fun when I had an IT VP tell me she wanted the systems I was responsible for to "exceed utility levels" and I pointed out that our uptime and reliabilty records already beat the local phone and electric company's numbers... :p

Back
Top Bottom