Join Early Retirement Today

Yes I'll Help! or No Thanks!
Old 12-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes I'll Help! or No Thanks!

Every so often I get a popup inviting me to participate in some E-R.org survey. I always click "No Thanks!" because I'm not fond of taking surveys generally.

Is there some way to make my "No Thanks!" decision permanent? That would be swell.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

+1

Old 12-15-2011, 01:58 PM   #3

The simplest way is to activate the popup blocker in your browser.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:34 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Unfortunately blocking popups doesn't stop them for me in Firefox.

Coach
Old 12-16-2011, 03:37 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post

Coach
That doesn't work for me either, with Firefox.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

no thanks
Old 12-16-2011, 08:24 AM   #7

Running Firefox 8.0 here, with AdBlockPlus and NoScript, and if it weren't for this thread I would never have known there were popup survey requests here.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
Every so often I get a popup inviting me to participate in some E-R.org survey. I always click "No Thanks!" because I'm not fond of taking surveys generally.

Is there some way to make my "No Thanks!" decision permanent? That would be swell.

2Cor521

Coach
I too would like to stop the survey request permanently. The popup blocker on my home computer (Adblock in Firefox on Mac, but it may not be the very latest version) doesn't stop either the survey request or the other popup that offers repeatedly to send E-R direct to my email. I also get asked to take the survey on my computer at work (Internet Explorere on a PC with Windows XP).
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 11:49 AM   #9

I hesitate to bring this up, for fear of offending the powers that be here, but there is software available to handle this problem.
I haven't seen a popup, an ad of any kind, or been subjected to a tracking cookie or for most of a year now, due to a very simple bit of software. I won't make any recommendations publicly, but this sort of help is available if you look for it.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:12 PM   #10

Quote:
I hesitate to bring this up, for fear of offending the powers that be here, but there is software available to handle this problem.
I haven't seen a popup, an ad of any kind, or been subjected to a tracking cookie or for most of a year now, due to a very simple bit of software. I won't make any recommendations publicly, but this sort of help is available if you look for it.
Even if you gave the name of the program, there are limits to what I am allowed to install on my computer at work—I might not be able to use it there. Since you don't give the name I have no way to know if the program you refer to is available for the Mac, so I may not be able to use it at home either.

Anyway, it would be much simpler for the user if there was simply an option to shut off the pop-up via the forum, and no detriment to E-R that I can see in making that possible. Those of us who don't like surveys are not going to fill it out, no matter how many times we are asked. Besides, there's a risk that answering one questionnaire will result in getting more questionnaires later on other topics, like those "unsubscribe" links in spam emails that only serve to verify for the spammer that they have found a live email address.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
there are limits to what I am allowed to install on my computer at work—I might not be able to use it there.
That's a completely different issue. I would think that this sort of thing is not a problem at the websites your employer expects you to visit while at work.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:47 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
That's a completely different issue. I would think that this sort of thing is not a problem at the websites your employer expects you to visit while at work.
Assuming your employer expects you to visit Early-Retirement.org due to the workplace environment...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:56 AM   #13

I read E-R and (other forums too) on my lunch break or after hours, not while I'm supposed to be working. The repeated requests to take the survey are annoying, and I wish I could stop them, but installing additional blocking software on my work computer isn't an option.
Old 12-17-2011, 03:24 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Running Firefox 8.0 here, with AdBlockPlus and NoScript, and if it weren't for this thread I would never have known there were popup survey requests here.
I have Firefox 8.0.1, with AdBlockPlus, but not NoScript if that's an add on.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 07:16 AM   #15
gone traveling

Hey guys (and gals ).

Why not just complete the survey with trash answers?

It will be invalid data and after awhile maybe it will go away, since it dosen't contain any valid info?
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 08:08 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Hey guys (and gals ).

It will be invalid data and after awhile maybe it will go away, since it doesn't contain any valid info?

I doesn't go away. Even after you take the survey, it keeps asking. I have started viewing the forum using the ipad app, since (so far) it hasn't had a pop-up survey.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
I always so No now after thinking that answering it once would make it go away! I am good for once a year. But it will get me used to saying No!
Old 12-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
Hey guys (and gals ).
Because the moderators could start handing out penalty points...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
Because the moderators could start handing out penalty points...
We don't deal with the survey or its answers at all, and in fact we are subject to this popup and attempt to avoid it too. I noticed that if I navigate anywhere on the website, it goes away, and then I can come right back to where I was. So, given that and a fast computer and internet connection, I hardly notice it personally and haven't tried adding further pop-up blockers. But it is there.

I can certainly sympathize and understand what those on this thread are saying, though. Therefore I did notify those on up the line that this thread is going on, and I'm sure that they will give it some serious consideration.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 04:02 PM   #20

Considering that we get to participate in this forum free of charge, I think that dealing with the occasional pop-up is a pretty minor price to pay.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote