Join Early Retirement Today

About to retire
Old 10-03-2007, 02:16 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

About to retire

As i am weeks away from retiring i would like to get on some forums that address the psychological aspects of retirement so i can talk to people about what to do what to avoid etc.this is a great forum but doesnt really have a place for these kind of questions..Would appreciate any links to other retirement forums...Thanks
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2007, 02:26 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Und vat iz dees problem you are having?

We talk lots about the psychological aspects of retiring, you can ask here.

(and thanks for the milk answers!)
Old 10-03-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Und don't forget to tell us about your mudder.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:35 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yes, please pull up a chair, make yourself comfortable, kick off your shoes. Now, where would you like to start? Did you have a happy childhood?

Oops, I see our time is up....please see my assistant to schedule your future appointments -- is Wednesday afternoon good for you?
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 02:38 PM   #5

I will be retiring officially Jan 1 2008,as winter will last 4 more months at that point i'm a little concerned that i'll end up watching a lot of tv and drinking a lot of beer as i dont have any winter hobbies.
Mom and Dad are 82 and living happily in Springhill Florida

I hope Achiever51's Response is not an example of this forums response to legitimate posts
Old 10-03-2007, 02:59 PM   #6

Oops! Didn't mean to offend you.

I've found the folks here more than willing to share their expertise, wisdom and dare I say it, humor...even if it sometimes misses the mark.

I've been retired since December and have found the time so far to be beyond my expectations. I am sleeping better, eating better, am far less stressed than I was while working, and am enjoying doing even the simplest chores around the house. I am reading more, have gotten more involved in local politics and an investment club that I've belonged to for years, have gone back to yoga and my art classes, and am volunteering for a local charity. All in all, life is good.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:04 PM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

jambo, chill out. One of the essentials of a successful retirement is a robust sense of humor.

This forum has dozens of discussions of the "whaddya DO all day?" retirement question. Use the search button and look around a little to see if you don't find information on your question.

Bottom line is you've got to manage your own entertainment or someone else will manage it for you...be that an employer, nursing home staff member, etc. And there's nothing wrong with drinking beer and watching TV, as long as that's only a portion of your daily activity.
Old 10-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

... i'm a little concerned that i'll end up watching a lot of tv and drinking a lot of beer as i dont have any winter hobbies.
Welcome Welcome, jambo! I can't resist this: and how is this tv watching and beer drinking less valuable to society than w*rk? kidding!

I haven't seen many folks here comment about the downside of retirement, but it is very real: loss of identity, boredom, depression, winter blues, etc. It seems that exercise, developing interests, and planning activities helps. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you; I hope to join you in May '08.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:11 PM   #9

Thanks Achiever51,As a newb to the forum i wasnt sure if you were expressing humor or sarcasm.Hope my upcoming life change ends up as happy as yours
Old 10-03-2007, 03:31 PM   #10

Hey, you've probably been told since you were a kid that you hold the keys to your success in life...well, now, for maybe the first time in your life, you really do have the opportunity to create the life you want to lead. (Or, as someone on this forum says in their signature..."it's never too late to have a successful childhood.")

If you're like the rest of us who are relatively new to the retirement community, the first few weeks or so will likely feel "different" as you get used to the idea of not working. You might find you are not sleeping soundly -- I had vivid dreams for about three weeks -- or you might find yourself sleeping longer to "catch up" on missed sleep.

I can practically guarantee that once you leave work, you'll have a smile on your face that lasts all day as you realize that yes, you are finally free. Hopefully, you'll find -- or perhaps rediscover -- hobbies or interests that you didn't have the time to do while working. Spend more time with family...Florida is very nice in the winter....

Yes, you will probably have at least one or two thoughts of "OMG, what did I just do?" "How will I identify myself now that I don't have a job/title/whatever?" Just remember that your job only defined what you did but not who you are. Assuming that you're financially prepared for retirement, the rest will fall into place.

And sometimes, a successful retirement does include vegging out in front of CBC with a Molson's in hand
Old 10-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #11
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Seriously:

In the first two or so months after retirement I was sleeping 10 or more hours a night, drinking a little too much, and not eating very well (but still managed to lose a few pounds and lower my blood pressure); then I gradually started getting organized and establishing healthy eating and exercise patterns. My physical/mental health keeps improving.

An unexpected result was the gift of time: time to think/remember/reflect...

The past (almost) three years has been an ongoing journey of discovery and improvement.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...tml#post465633

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ing-29593.html

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ent-30228.html

Old 10-03-2007, 04:35 PM   #12

Looking like a great forum,think i'll stick around for a while.
How Bout a signature.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #13

Been retired for about a year and a half. Get up about 7:30 plus or minus a hour, read the paper, something I never really had time to do, have breakfast, around 9 take a walk around the golf course. New hobby collecting golf balls. Right at 1,000 in 9 months. Around 11 check the news, play on the INTERNET, Lunch time! Chores, there seems like there is always something that needs to be done. Today it was clean the deck and re-coat it. It will be just right for Margaritas tomorrow. Oops diner time. I cook more than DW. Cards with the neighbors, TV, read a book before you know it time for bed. You guessed it I have not Hobie's. Computers use to be a hobby, I have had one since 1978, but they also became w*&k, so I don't play with them that much any more. Volunteered to run for our Home Owners Association, that will take up some time.

Do I wish I was still w^&king......H$LL NO! Being board at home is a lot better than being board at w$%k!
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 05:40 PM   #14

Be nice to know where every one is from:confused: seems no one includes this info beside their user name,am i missing something?
Old 10-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #15

About to Retire

I retired in 2006 at the age of 48 and I moved from NJ to the GREAT STATE of TEXAS.

One was to take care of my parents and the other was to return to my roots and to give my children (3 school age children)a place that they could get roots. Having been in the service and then working for the government it was hard to set roots and be around family.

After 26 plus years of service we were ready to retire and I had no problem. At first my wife had to get used to having me around the house all the time.

We spend our time going to church, doing volunteer work, being a taxi to our children and their friends, attending school and family activities, getting to know long last friends and relatives, etc..., etc....

For us we were ready to retire. I hope that my post has been of some help. Good luck with your retirement.

GOD BLESS
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:12 PM   #16

Lake Livingston, Texas
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:16 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Howdy from another Texan, jambo! Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of good advice here and no small amount of humor of all kinds about all subjects. There are also quite a few discussions that can become pretty heated, but in general this place is one of the best forums you'll find. Anytime you get quite a few intelligent, opinionated people together they are bound to generate some heat. That is part of what makes this stew tasty.

I am new so I still read much more than post because sometimes there is just so much material to cover that I don't want to miss anything. I am in serious learning mode.

Glad you found this place!

TG
TexasGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:19 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Und don't forget to tell us about your mudder.

"My mudder? Lemmee tell you about my mudder...."

Oh, and O/P asked: "...i can talk to people about what to do what to avoid etc..."

As earlier mentioned, I'd say do try to avoid loosing your sense of humor!
DRiP Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 08:07 PM   #19

My favorite flick! And there's even a version 3.0 coming out!

Q&A: Ridley Scott Has Finally Created the Blade Runner He Always Imagined
Old 10-03-2007, 08:24 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As i am weeks away from retiring i would like to get on some forums that address the psychological aspects of retirement so i can talk to people about what to do what to avoid etc.this is a great forum but doesnt really have a place for these kind of questions..Would appreciate any links to other retirement forums...Thanks

Wonderful question. My feeling is that at first do what you please when you please. Start your retirement with a vacation!

Everyone is different, but I am someone who needs to try to impose some discipline on myself or I turn into a slug, burrowing into the couch with an endless stream of novels and a dog on my lap. Especially in the wintertime.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote