Join Early Retirement Today
Confused - Taxes and Inflation?
Old 08-04-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado
Confused - Taxes and Inflation?

I've lurked for months on the board. Thanks to everyone for the great information here. I have been playing around with FIRECalc which is super (thank you Dory!) but I'm confused on what to put for my Annual Spend amount. I know that FIRECalc doesn't include taxes but how do I figure the correct taxable amount from my savings into my annual spend?

For example, my plan is to RE with $2,750,000 of which 2,250,000 will be in taxable accounts. I figure my annual spend at $60,000 before taxes.

As I spend down the taxable amount the taxes I owe on it will go down as well. How do I figure that when I figure up my annual spend?

Also, the average inflation rate historically is in the 3% range but for the period between 1967-1985 it averaged 10%. Is anyone else concerned that inflation will jump up that much again? Assuming a 3-3.5% inflation rate my portfolio has a 100% rate of success. Assuming a 6% inflation rate and I need almost 2 million more for my starting point. If I RE with $2.75 as planned and inflation rears its ugly head again my chances of success are not good. Does anyone else worry about inflation like this? Am I silly to worry about it? I just don't want to RE and then wind up eating cat food.

Red Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2007, 04:51 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
You are just about at my point of both assets and considerably above my spending level. However, I have been spending less than 2% SWR (adjusted each year). I have been doing this for about 28 years based on a pension and virtually all fixed rate investments (CD's). I lived through the late 70's and early 80's with the inflation rate that occurred then. I cannot tell the future BUT it has worked fine for 28 years for me/us. I would not ignore inflation but just treat it like any other thing you have no control over and live your life. (BTW a 4% SWR for what you indicated a your nest egg is initially $110,000; so if you only need $60,000 you should have very significant amounts to save or invest as time goes on).

Stay tuned there will be many along shortly with much more in depth and more detailed advice.

Vietnam Veteran, CW4 USA, Retired 1979
OAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:16 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado
Thanks R. I appreciate it. It's good to hear from someone who was retired when the inflation was so high.

As far as the annual spend, I'm not much of a spender, but I'm in Southern California and the cost of living is pretty high here. I may not need the full $60,000 each year but I would rather overestimate than underestimate at this point. The $60,000 I need is before taxes but I may need to withdraw $100,000 or so each year to pay taxes. I think. That's the part I'm confused on.

Thanks again!
Red Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 02:16 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.
You can't do much about inflation except figure out how to deal with it. You didn't say whether you expected additional annuities (pension), and of course there is the mother of all annuities, SS. You also didn't say how many years you're planning to live >, but that is a factor if you are 45 and want to stop working now. $2.75 MM is a pretty good pile. If CA is the problem, there are solutions to that you know.
Can't you see yourself in the nursing home saying, " Darn! Wish I'd spent more time at the office instead of wasting time with family and friends."
tightasadrum is offline   Reply With Quote