Join Early Retirement Today

Detailed spreadsheets from result page in REAL terms or NOMINAL terms??
Old 12-13-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Detailed spreadsheets from result page in REAL terms or NOMINAL terms??

Curious about the detailed spreadsheets on the Firecalc results page.

Specifically, the spreadsheets linked to where it says:

"Open an (unformatted) Excel spreadsheet showing the inflation-adjusted end-of-year portfolio balances for every year in each of the cycles tested by FIRECalc. Open a spreadsheet showing the year by year inputs, data, and formulas for the cycle beginning in 1960"

The first spreadsheet sounds like it is in inflation adjusted (real) dollars, but comparing those results with the second spreadsheet, it appears that the first spreadsheet presents nominal dollars, not adjusted for inflation. Well, I guess they are adjusted up for inflation through the calcs.

Is there any way the results can be clarified on the text of the results page to prevent misunderstandings of real or nominal terms?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2011, 05:21 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just noticed this, also. In fact, if I download the excel spreadsheet of ending values, the maximum, minimum, and average ending values do not agree with those reported in the text summary of results.

To be useful, this spreadsheet should contain the values shown in the graph of paths.