Join Early Retirement Today

Does FIRECalc Invest Excess Recurring Income in Portfolio?
Old 11-27-2018, 06:28 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Does FIRECalc Invest Excess Recurring Income in Portfolio?

Want to make sure I understand how the program handles excess recurring income. For example, if pension income exceeds ongoing spending and off-chart expenditures each year for a period of time, does FireCalc add that excess income to the portfolio balance and invest it according to the AA?

I assume the answer is yes since the average portfolio balance at the end of the retirement period generated by firecalc and my own retirement workbook is fairly close and thatís how I handle it.

Thanks.

Austin704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2018, 06:44 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2018, 07:08 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

I’m not sure I understand your question. Firecalc assumes you spend what you withdraw.

If your investments generate more income than what you withdraw, of course Firecalc reinvests it.

You have added your pension income to your Firecalc model, and your pension income exceeds your max projected spending/withdrawal? Then I guess Firecalc must reinvest the excess if that’s matching your spreadsheet.

In that latter case you don’t really need worry about portfolio survival! You’re still growing your portfolio!
Old 11-27-2018, 07:32 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Iím not sure I understand your question. Firecalc assumes you spend what you withdraw.

If your investments generate more income than what you withdraw, of course Firecalc reinvests it.

You have added your pension income to your Firecalc model, and your pension income exceeds your max projected spending/withdrawal? Then I guess Firecalc must reinvest the excess if thatís matching your spreadsheet.

In that latter case you donít really need worry about portfolio survival! Youíre still growing your portfolio!

Yes, itís the latter case. In the early years my pension income will exceed my expenses and so my question is whether firecalc adds the excess to my portfolio and invests according to the AA. It appears so, but I wanted to confirm my understanding.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:02 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin704 View Post
Yes, itís the latter case. In the early years my pension income will exceed my expenses and so my question is whether firecalc adds the excess to my portfolio and invests according to the AA. It appears so, but I wanted to confirm my understanding.
I see - your pension income is not inflation adjusted?

I know there is a way to put your pension in come in Firecalc and say whether it is inflation adjusted or not. But I haven't played around with that feature. I have to leave it to others who have input pension and SS information into their Firecalc model.

Do you also have Social Security that comes online at a certain age?
Old 11-27-2018, 02:36 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

I know there is a way to put your pension in come in Firecalc and say whether it is inflation adjusted or not. But I haven't played around with that feature. I have to leave it to others who have input pension and SS information into their Firecalc model.

In the "Other Income Spending" section, input the Pension in the Pension/Off Chart section at the bottom section and unclick the "Inflation adj" box for a non cola pension.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:02 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Thatís right. Pension is not COLAíd. So, early on Iíll have a surplus but as inflation does its dirty work that surplus shrinks (assuming constant inflation-adjusted spending levels).

I will have Social Security at 67 but how much is not clear. Since Iím retiring so early, I will lose out on years of earnings for SS purposes, so Iíve run my calculations without any SS figured in. Better to be pleasantly surprised than caught short.