Join Early Retirement Today

Doesn't make sense, 2nd question
Old 07-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Doesn't make sense, 2nd question

If I enter $1 WR, set inflation at 0.0% and then select the variable option for spending, but at 100% and run the analysis, shouldn't the year-by-year spending always be the same $1? Well, it is not, on some cycles it goes up to almost $30. And if there is an explanation, then why does the spending amount always increase year over year on every cycle?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2013, 06:02 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytbm View Post
...select the variable option for spending, but at 100%...
If by the above, you meant you selected the spending model of "percentage of remaining portfolio, with cut back limited to 100% of previous year" (which means no cut back allowed at all), then as your portfolio increases with time, your spending will be allowed to grow proportionally, from $1 to $30.

Moreover, in the years when your portfolio drops, the spending is not allowed to decrease. Hence, the way you set it up, the spending can only go up, but not down.

If instead you select "Constant Spending Power", then you will see that the $1 spending will stay constant.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
If by the above, you meant you selected the spending model of "percentage of remaining portfolio, with cut back limited to 100% of previous year" (which means no cut back allowed at all), then as your portfolio increases with time, your spending will be allowed to grow proportionally, from $1 to $30.

Moreover, in the years when your portfolio drops, the spending is not allowed to decrease. Hence, the way you set it up, the spending can only go up, but not down.

If instead you select "Constant Spending Power", then you will see that the $1 spending will stay constant.
Thank you, that makes sense. So, even though WR was initially specified as a dollar amount, in this case that amount is converted into a % and I'm forced to "spend" increases rather than reinvest, correct?
Old 07-17-2013, 08:20 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrytbm View Post
Thank you, that makes sense. So, even though WR was initially specified as a dollar amount, in this case that amount is converted into a % and I'm forced to "spend" increases rather than reinvest, correct?
I think so. You can run this scenario link-to-firecalc (adjusted to 40,000/1,000,000 = 4% WR).

That is the 95% pf previous year on dips, but as I understand it, on up years you spend the same % as your initial start. Some fun years on that chart!

The graph of spending is interesting, the dips with that rule take a lot of lines to below 1/2 the initial spend. How many can handle that? It would be interesting to see an option for a max spend ratio over the initial. That would re-invest in good years. But the previous failures are probably long down cycles, with little upside?

-ERD50
Old 07-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

That's correct. You are welcome.

The idea of this spending model is that if one is lucky to see his portfolio grows beyond his expectation, he will allow himself to spend more than initially planned. His spending will grow proportionally with his stash.

At the same time, if his portfolio subsequently shrinks, he may be limited in the ability to cut back due to lifestyle creep. A cut back to 100% of previous year's spending means he is unable to cut back at all.

By the way, remember that FIRECalc computes everything in terms of the dollar at the current time, so after inflation the $30 you see at the end of the run may be a lot higher in nominal amounts.