Join Early Retirement Today

Fire Calculation Results
Old 10-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Fire Calculation Results

I have run fire calc with the same exact scenarios, eight to be exact, without changing any assumptions, and each time I see a different fire calc percentage success rate.

What is up with that?
MrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2016, 11:12 AM   #2
Dryer sheet aficionado

I assume this is because I am picking a retirement portfolio with a random performance, correct?
Old 10-28-2016, 11:53 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

randomness is random
Old 10-28-2016, 12:07 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEd View Post
I assume this is because I am picking a retirement portfolio with a random performance, correct?
Yes
Old 10-28-2016, 12:36 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

A random result is as good as a guess for planning purposes. So what is the value of this function?
Old 10-28-2016, 12:43 PM   #6

Quote:
A random result is as good as a guess for planning purposes. So what is the value of this function?
I find it of no value and never use it. Many years ago some users lamented the lack of a Monte Carlo option so the creator of FIRECalc added it for them.
Old 10-28-2016, 12:56 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

There is a lot of info on Monte Carlo theory on the web. The stock market performance is pretty random within bounds. That type of randomness is what is being modeled. Not just one answer, but many possible answers any of which could be correct. Its the future so who knows? You can pick a percentage increase for the years in the future. That is what Quicken's planner does.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 01:21 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewahoo View Post
i find it of no value and never use it.
+1 -erd50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:50 PM   #9

Quote:
It's random results based on historic information, not random results based on WAGs. It's a predictive tool, not a psychic ball, so the results are simply one tool that can be used to determine viability (using available data) of a given scenario working out. If it says it got 100% chance of success, then the plan is "probably pretty solid". If it says it got a 25% chance of success, then the plan is not likely to work out. A 5% chance of success "could" work out (investments could average 20% per year for the next 50 years), but it is highly unlikely. That's it's value, to give "likelihood" of success based on known data.

It's not a guarantee but a tool that can help evaluate a plan. That's my take on it anyway.
exnavynuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by exnavynuke View Post
It's random results based on historic information, not random results based on WAGs.
If Mr Ed was referring to the fourth option under the portfolio tab, then it is a random/Monte Carlo calculation. It is my understanding that only the first two options under that tab use actual history.
Old 10-29-2016, 01:19 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Comparative Models

How does firecalc compare to fidelity and t rowe price retirement calculators?

Are the other two worth running??

I assume I would get similar results from all three.

Is there a better retirement calculator out there
Old 10-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #12

I use T. Rowe Price, Vanguard Nest Egg Calculator, QLP in Quicken, Financial Engines, and others. It is always good to bounce the results against other tools. A mixture of deterministic (QLP), Monte Carlo (T. Rowe Price, Vanguard Nest Egg) and historical (FIREcalc) gives you quite a broad brush view of the future for your planning purposes.
Hermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 01:55 PM   #13

Quote:
I haven't used the TRP calculator, but Fidelity's version is generally considered the most conservative and will probably give you a lower success percentage. But it's worth running IMHO.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 05:04 PM   #14

I agree with the above statements regarding historical calculators may not reflect current or future scenarios. I'm also not a fan of/do not use deterministic calculators (e.g., i-orp) as I have no idea what returns will be in the future.

Back when I was comparing calculators, I found Fidelity's to be the most conservative. I still find Fidelity's calculator useful/instructive as it includes monte carlo results reflecting significantly below market averages, below market averages, and historical market averages. IIRC, Wade Pfau and Michael Kitces have posts indicating that MC scenarios are useful as guides in planning PF withdrawals. Regardless, the most important thing is to incorporate a margin of safety into all plans. Venture capitalists do this, as do Munger and Buffet who are strong proponents.

Examples of margins of safety in retirement planning could include, but are not limited to, saving more than retirement spending estimates require, eschewing debt (the bad kind), not buying a larger house than you need, frugality as a general principal, remaining flexible in PF withdrawals in response to market conditions, maintaining sufficient insurances account for deep risks, optimizing health, choosing the right partner in relationship (divorce can be costly/devastating to retirement plans), sufficient estate and disaster planning, etc.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 10:47 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

In my experience, Monte Carlo simulations tend to be more pessimistic than historical calculators, which in turn are usually more pessimistic than the simplistic X% returns Y% inflation fixed models.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 11:19 AM   #16

Quote:

Are the other two worth running??

I assume I would get similar results from all three.

Is there a better retirement calculator out there
The calculators all have benefits and assumptions.

Firecalc back tests against historical markets and allows inputs of income streams coming online at different times.

Fidelity lets you input different inflation rates for things like healthcare if you go into the details of the spending... that can be very useful. I found it helpful for fleshing out my budget and testing my assumptions.

Quicken Lifetime planner was good for mapping some future events (in my case kids college) against the savings goals for that (in my case 529's). But, as mentioned, was deterministic. It doesn't vary the return and inflation rates the way real life does. But you can make it conservative by choosing lower returns than historical average, and higher inflation than historically average.

I also used Financial Engines, Vanguard... etc..

With each calculator I uncovered something I hadn't thought of... I'd then revise my plan and rerun it on all the calculators.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:32 AM   #17

I've used ESPlanner, which doesn't have the easiest user friendly interface,, but I found it worth the effort and would recommend it. I ran various scenarios with it for a few years, but never paid more beyond the initial download (required annual subscription to obtain each year's latest updates, including SS, tax calculations, etc.). I found it to be the second most conservative calculator after Fidelity's. It was instructional/educational at the time, but I lost it in a computer crash a couple years ago and am not interested in paying for it again.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:28 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

What and where does one enter in Firecalc for a complete CD & Fixed income based portfolio? Averages at about 3.25%.

Thanks.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:30 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
In my experience, Monte Carlo simulations tend to be more pessimistic than historical calculators, which in turn are usually more pessimistic than the simplistic X% returns Y% inflation fixed models.
I really haven't found that...... It seems like the Monte Carlo and simplistic, linear calculators are completely dependent on the parameters you input. They're under your control in terms of either the range of variation they run (Monte Carlo) or the linear inflation and investment return assumptions (simplistic) you input. So, if you want your Monte Carlo simulations to be less pessimistic, just set them up that way.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:47 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
What and where does one enter in Firecalc for a complete CD & Fixed income based portfolio? Averages at about 3.25%.

Thanks.
Where are you getting 3.25% from CDs and FI?

The last two options on the Your Portfolio tab could be used. Or 5 year treasuries in the first option.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote