Join Early Retirement Today

Firecalc and taxes
Old 04-28-2013, 06:56 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Firecalc and taxes

Hello,

I am new to this group and truly appreciate all the great conversations in various thread. I have learned a lot since I joined.

I haveva firecalc question and apologize if it was answered before. I am playing with firecalc. For the expenses, I am putting after taxex yearly expense. Do you know if firecalc takes taxex under consideration with the calculations? I.e 401k withdrawels will be subject to income tax.

Than You.
Bali is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do not believe it does.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:04 AM   #3

Do you suggest a way around this, i.e how can I include taxex in calculations? For example if my after tax expenses are 30k yearly, should I be increasing it by 25% and make it before tax while entering this number?

Thans again.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:14 AM   #4

I also believe it does not consider taxes. You can include taxes as part of spending but it could change significantly over a retirement span. The following is from the firecalc intro...

Why don't you have a space for taxable portfolio and another space for nontaxable portfolio?
FIRECalc ignores taxable versus nontaxable portfolios right now. Since it only uses historical data to determine how a portfolio would behave, with no guesses by anyone about what will happen to inflation, market performance, and so forth, and we don't have historical tax rates for the period for which I have market data, I can't add tax planning without changing the philosophy of the program. Just planning on x% tax rates would make all the historical examples meaningless, when changing tax rates would have at least some effect on the market returns.
If I can figure out how to do this in a way that would not corrupt the results, I'll do it. For now, I prefer to leave the tax planning portion to programs like www.i-orp.com -- an outstanding tool!

Try the i-orp calculator for tax input.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:22 AM   #5

Thank you ver much for the responses, much appreciated.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

You have to include taxes as part of your expenses. I cannot figure out how to link to other threads on here using the iPad App, but I recently started a thread about what tax rate people use in their calculations. The best suggestion was to use an online tax estimator like TurboTax to see. It turns out that it really is an amazing range of rates depending on how much of your money you are taking from where. My effective tax rate is likely to be about 12% or less in retirement (Federal AND State). With each state being different of course.you have to know how your state treats the different income sources.

30% tax rate is possible but would mean you are taking a HUGE amount of money out of your tax deferred accounts. Remember money you take out of your currently taxed savings is only potentially subject to being taxed (Federally) on the part of the withdrawal which is dividend or capital gains (return of principle does not get taxed or even counted to determine you tax bracket) and currently only subject if you end up above the 15% marginal tax bracket which is something like $70,000 right now.

Example-(ignoring Social Security and pensions as sources of income and ignoring exemptions and carry over capital losses from prior tax years which allow you to deduct from these crude numbers):
You need $100,000 a year. You made $30,000 in dividends from a taxable account. From your taxable account you sell some stock to generate $35,000 but the capital gain is $10,000 of it, the rest return of your principle. You take $41,176 from your IRA or 401k. Total to spend = $100,000. Federal taxes owed = 15% of that last $41.176 only. Federal tax rate on the total is 6.18%. Take all $100,000 of it from your IRA or 401k and you would owe 15% Federally, so you would have to take out $117,647 to be left with $100,000 to spend. (assuming you owe ZERO State taxes-which is not likely in most states)
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
You have to include taxes as part of your expenses. I cannot figure out how to link to other threads on here using the iPad App, but I recently started a thread about what tax rate people use in their calculations. The best suggestion was to use an online tax estimator like TurboTax to see. It turns out that it really is an amazing range of rates depending on how much of your money you are taking from where. My effective tax rate is likely to be about 12% or less in retirement (Federal AND State). With each state being different of course.you have to know how your state treats the different income sources.

30% tax rate is possible but would mean you are taking a HUGE amount of money out of your tax deferred accounts. Remember money you take out of your currently taxed savings is only potentially subject to being taxed (Federally) on the part of the withdrawal which is dividend or capital gains (return of principle does not get taxed or even counted to determine you tax bracket) and currently only subject if you end up above the 15% marginal tax bracket which is something like $70,000 right now.

Example-(ignoring Social Security and pensions as sources of income and ignoring exemptions and carry over capital losses from prior tax years which allow you to deduct from these crude numbers):
You need $100,000 a year. You made $30,000 in dividends from a taxable account. From your taxable account you sell some stock to generate $35,000 but the capital gain is $10,000 of it, the rest return of your principle. You take $41,176 from your IRA or 401k. Total to spend = $100,000. Federal taxes owed = 15% of that last $41.176 only. Federal tax rate on the total is 6.18%. Take all $100,000 of it from your IRA or 401k and you would owe 15% Federally, so you would have to take out $117,647 to be left with $100,000 to spend. (assuming you owe ZERO State taxes-which is not likely in most states)
I forgot to add that I assume any interest income you make you make it in tax deferred accounts.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #8
Dryer sheet aficionado

I am frankly quite disturbed by FIRECALC's ignoring taxes. Other than this it would be a great tool. But to ignore taxes and leave it to a user to estimate taxes as part of expenses is pretty bad. The reason it is bad is you can't estimate taxes for each of the approx 100 scenarios FIRECALC runs, and the tax will be a function of the scenario. That is each 30 year period has substantially different income streams. Each therefore would have different tax expenses. You can just estimate a single tax expense, and apply it, but then that doesn't differentiate all the scenarios FIRECALC calculates. But I guess there is no real alternative. Any thoughts?
allanlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

I found ORP did not run (file not found 404 error)
Old 05-14-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanlevy View Post
...you can't estimate taxes for each of the approx 100 scenarios FIRECALC runs, and the tax will be a function of the scenario. That is each 30 year period has substantially different income streams. Each therefore would have different tax expenses. You can just estimate a single tax expense, and apply it, but then that doesn't differentiate all the scenarios FIRECALC calculates. But I guess there is no real alternative. Any thoughts?
None other than the obvious fact you've just answered your own question...
Old 05-14-2013, 12:54 PM   #11

I totally understand why they don't. Too many variables. It's not just taxable vs non-taxable accounts. You've got a whole variety of tax consequences to consider (on top of 40+ state taxes). Heck, my 9 rental properties make for a huge guessing game with the passive income and myriad of depreciation rules.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Personally I like it that Firecalc doesn't estimate taxes. I prefer to estimate my own taxes which are based upon my spending and my particular deductions. I use Fidelity RIP but actually don't like that it estimates taxes since I think I can do better estimating my own taxes.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:59 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanlevy View Post
I found ORP did not run (file not found 404 error)
Try i-orp....http://www.i-orp.com/

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:06 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
Personally I like it that Firecalc doesn't estimate taxes. I prefer to estimate my own taxes which are based upon my spending and my particular deductions. I use Fidelity RIP but actually don't like that it estimates taxes since I think I can do better estimating my own taxes.
Wait! the statement seems wrong (to me) ---Remember money you take out of your currently taxed savings is only potentially subject to being taxed (Federally) on the part of the withdrawal which is dividend or capital gains (return of principle does not get taxed or even counted to determine you tax bracket) and currently only subject if you end up above the 15% marginal tax bracket which is something like $70,000 right now.

You are not "taking out" $ from your non-deferred account. It is generating income itself, whether you spend it or not. And that income is subject to tax (whether you spend it, or not). You don't get to choose a withdraw amount from it really. That is why estimating your taxes and applying that to the expense portion of FIRECALC to determine failure scenarios is such a problem. It is because each scenario, has its own historical performance, and consequently its own historical tax implications. By using your own estimate you are applying that estimates underlying tax bases, against all scenarios regardless of the return characteristics of the each scenario, each different. Then you use the aggregate failure rate from the MC simulation. That scares me. Its like combining apples and oranges. It generates an error margin, of size frankly I do not know. Should I worry about the size of this error margin?

I do of course acknowledge what you say that you like that you can apply your own tax rate and feel its more accurate. I see this, especially if your holdings are tax complex (eg rentals, RE, etc). But what is the error margin effect of estimating your taxes, and then applying that estimate to the expected spending, and having that then be used to generated 100+ failure rate scenarios, based on the non apples - apples tax rate of the given scenario vs the apples tax rate of the given scenario (not included in FC) and the non-apples tax rate of your single estimate not aligned with the scenario's tax characteristic based on its particular return characteristic.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:21 AM   #15

I don't see how Firecalc could accurately estimate taxes. Nor would I want that feature. While tax planning is certainly important it's not what I seek with this tool. It's comprehensive approach to planning includes everything I need for a good overall plan.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:52 AM   #16

Just add buffer for your feared error margin on taxes. It seems pretty straghtforward to me. Kind of the beauty of Firecalc.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:03 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

To me, this is pretty simple.

In the working world, when you think about your income, you don't think about your spending amount, you think about your total income which also accounts for taxes.

Same with FIRECALC. You need to know how much money you need to 'make' (withdraw) in order to cover your spending and taxes.

Will it be exact? No. But even in the paycheck world, there's always some difference between your plan and reality.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post

Same with FIRECALC. You need to know how much money you need to 'make' (withdraw) in order to cover your spending and taxes.

Will it be exact? No. But even in the paycheck world, there's always some difference between your plan and reality.
+1 That's how I did it. I added my expected taxes into my income requirement number. It won't be exact, but if you are like my impression of most on this forum, you'll err on the high side and be happy when it is less.
Willers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Taxes are just another expense.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #20
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Taxes are just another expense.
Yup. (That's twice now. are we going for a record in agreements? )
FIRECalc tells us how much we can afford to spend. What we spend it on - taxes, mortgage, or beer - is unique to each of us.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote