Join Early Retirement Today

Firecalc calculator sensitivity to asset allocation
Old 04-11-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Firecalc calculator sensitivity to asset allocation

I ran several asset allocation scenarios on Firecalc to see how my asset allocation would impact my lklihood of outliving my money, asuming a zero balance at life end and a roughly 4-4.5% withdrawal rate.

To my surprise, the calculator returned a 93.5% success rate at 90/10 (equity/bonds), and equally 94.4% for all scenarios 80/20, 70/30, 60/40. Then, at 50/50 the success rate falls to 92.6 and it's 90.7 for 40/60.

In all cases, the success range is very small, given the dramatic differnce in asset allocation. I would expect a much larger variation in success rates.

Is there something about the Firecalc calculator I'm missing? I'm also baffled about the optional detailed investment allocation in Firecalc. I don't see much sensitivity in these resullts either.

Have you experienced these these issues? Is there an explaination, or solution?

Many thanks!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2011, 08:19 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Try looking at the maximum and minimum account balances for the different scenarios. Although the end results may be similar, I think you'll find that the asset allocations that include more bonds achieve that result with less volatility, which is psychologically important for a lot of people (myself included.)

Old 04-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Are you including other sources of income in FIRECalc such as SS or a pension? If not, you should see results similar to the following (30 year success rate shown in percent on the y axis, allocation to equities shown on the x axis) :
Attached Images
File Type: gif stock allocation graph.gif (2.0 KB, 112 views)

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Are you including other sources of income in FIRECalc such as SS or a pension? If not, you should see results similar to the following (30 year success rate shown in percent on the y axis, allocation to equities shown on the x axis) :
That's what I get, too (what REW got). My interpretation is that 50:50 gives almost ideal results (give or take a few % points) with less volatility. When I start collecting SS at age 66 I may creep up to 55% equities but probably no higher.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:42 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had to go back and search, but we had some looks into this a while back, and the volatility isn't really that different across a range of AA's either.

A different spin on SWR, question.

Here's an excerpt, where I pulled the numbers ten years in (that seemed like a low point on both scenarios):

Quote:
FIRECalc: A different kind of retirement calculator

FIRECalc: A different kind of retirement calculator

So at the 10 year mark, with 80% EQ, your roller coaster has dipped from $1M to $410K.

And the 40% EQ/60% Bonds has had this gentle lazy-river-ride, down to... $431K! Not much difference, really.

-ERD50
If you slog through the thread, be aware there was some confusion over the spreadsheet output, we determined that those numbers were not inflation adjusted, so the graphs are about the best we can do.

-ERD50