FIRECalc Development

I think FIRCalc can have option of entering floor and ceiling spending levels. Floor spending level will be withdrawal when portfolio has a bad year and ceiling spending will be withdrawal in a good year, both levels are indexed for inflation. One can specify portfolio return percentage to decide if a year is a good or a bad return year.

My ER forum posts suggest that people tighten belt during bad years and resume normal course in good years. I guess this will also greatly up the SWR since portfolio is not withdrawn when it is already low, allowing it to grow in (hopefully) following good years.

I was dreaming of three spending levels also, the good, the bad, and OK. This may be too complicated to implement and may confuse users.

+1

I'd like to see more flexibility for entering expenses; a lot more flexibility. I respectfully suggest you take a lesson from Fido's RIP tool on expenses.

Also, I like the tabs better than scrolling btwn pages. With tabs, one doesn't have to scroll thru every single page to get to the one sought.

Great to see you doing this work.

Thanks!

Is the FIRECalc development continuing?

I notice that my recent test did not bring up the spreadsheets (links on results page).

Also would be good to see the assumed spending levels which might be in one of those spreadsheets.

If the developer needs testing or comments I'd be glad to supply more.

I notice that my recent test did not bring up the spreadsheets (links on results page).
Make sure to click on the investigate tab and check the box to provide data in spreadsheet format. See the attachment for location of these.
Is the FIRECalc development continuing?
In the last push on FIRECalc we cleaned up a lot of stuff but made zero changes to the logic (code) that powers the results. We then applied a new look/feel to the front end form which collects the data (link). What we discovered is that the new look which is more of a simple walk through process lacks space for providing users with details about each field. The currently live version is loaded with helpful text about each field and we need a way to show that while also keeping things simple. I feel the new skin looks nice but lacks the ability to show details about each field in an efficient manner.

Our plan is to go back to the drawing board to try and come up with another revision that would have a simple form on the left (about 2/3 of the space) and then an area on the right (1/3) of the space which would display text about each field when you click on it. Our designer has a 5 week old baby and has limited time at the moment. No ETA on the next iteration of the front end design is available at this time.

Keep in mind the above is all just front end input changes and does not change any of the calculations.

When it comes to the logic of what is going on with the calculator, I have yet to find a programmer capable and willing to tackle this project at a reasonable cost. It's a big project and needs to be done right.

To be honest, many other calculators have sprung up in the decade since FIRECalc came on the scene, many of which were built with multi-million dollar budgets by the large custodians. It would be unrealistic to think that we will be able to expand the logic of the calculations to handle some of the more sophisticated modeling that some of those other calcs will do with such a limited budget. I recall a discussion on here where people were discussing what they like from each and FIRECalc was respected for what it does but if you want to dig deeper into more complex scenarios then maybe one of the others would be better. IIRC one was not available to the public, only clients of the custodian.

Once we get the next iteration of the front end done then we will look at the change requests and knock out any low lying fruit. After that we will have to analyze the code and see what can be done to re-factor it to an architecture that will allow for changes to be made more easily.

Attachments

• 4-20-2012 12-12-34 PM.png
    4-20-2012 12-12-34 PM.png
    149.5 KB · Views: 15
To be honest, many other calculators have sprung up in the decade since FIRECalc came on the scene, many of which were built with multi-million dollar budgets by the large custodians. It would be unrealistic to think that we will be able to expand the logic of the calculations to handle some of the more sophisticated modeling that some of those other calcs will do with such a limited budget. I recall a discussion on here where people were discussing what they like from each and FIRECalc was respected for what it does but if you want to dig deeper into more complex scenarios then maybe one of the others would be better. IIRC one was not available to the public, only clients of the custodian.

I am not sure I totally agree with this. I've tried most of the calculators out there and still always come back to FIRECalc. Many are deficient in not letting you have varying spending. Others are so complex that I just gave up particularly if the interface was not appealing (ESPlanner).

Make sure to click on the investigate tab and check the box to provide data in spreadsheet format. See the attachment for location of these. ....
Hi Andy, I was referring to not being able to get the spreadsheets in the development version. FIRECalc 3.0 works fine in this regard.

Thanks for the update on your ideas and scheduling.

To be honest, many of the other calculators that have sprung up in the decade since FIRECalc came on the scene...

... have been crap.

For example, USAA spent a lot of time and effort developing a calculator that's the most user-friendly system I've ever used. It works great for newbies who are easily discouraged by more complicated calculators. But I wouldn't use it more than a couple times before I'd be looking for something more sophisticated... like FIRECalc.

But we're willing to check out the ones that you think are doing more sophisticated modeling, and give you feedback on whether FIRECalc should aspire to those lofty sophistications as well.

It has been a few years since I looked at retirement calculators in depth but I agree with Nords don't mistake money spent by a big company as being an indication of quality. As I learned the hard way at big companies most web software development project consists of 3 levels of management, a project coordinator, a QA person, and one guy in cube writing Javascript between doing work on his other three projects.

To me the single most important thing about FIRECalc is that use historical data not a Monte Carlo simulation So as long as it is kept update with current data and the performance of various asset class, my donation was money well spent. The one thing that I think would be very beneficial is to include international stock as an asset class, although I realize data is easy to come by for foreign stock.s

But we're willing to check out the ones that you think are doing more sophisticated modeling, and give you feedback on whether FIRECalc should aspire to those lofty sophistications as well.

We've discussed this in other threads, including the one on FIRECalc vs Fidelity's Retirement Income Planner. There are several folks on the forum, including me, who use the Fido RIP tool more frequently and find it more useful. I suggest the OP try it if you haven't used it before. I like a few things about it better than FIRECalc: more spending forecast flexibility, stores your info so you don't have to re-enter it every time, provides more ways to view you results (what ifs, cash flow, etc). I do like and use FIRECalc but, primarily as a check against my RIP results; and they do correlate, at least in my case.

We've discussed this in other threads, including the one on FIRECalc vs Fidelity's Retirement Income Planner. There are several folks on the forum, including me, who use the Fido RIP tool more frequently and find it more useful. I suggest the OP try it if you haven't used it before. ...
Do you have to open an account at Fido to save and reuse your inputs?

BTW, for others the tool link is here: Retirement Income Planner - Fidelity

We've discussed this in other threads, including the one on FIRECalc vs Fidelity's Retirement Income Planner. There are several folks on the forum, including me, who use the Fido RIP tool more frequently and find it more useful.
Thanks, I hadn't used Fido RIP since 2004 (my very old data was still in there, though I don't have accounts with Fido anymore), so it was fun to update and run again now retired. I am printing the 33 page report now. I'm always interested in another POV, and it's certainly better than most online calculators. FIRECALC, Fido RIP, Vanguard Portfolio Analyzer & ORP all have their merits IMO... :greetings10:

I wish I knew where to get comprehensive asset class returns, inflation, etc. data to build my own.

Last edited:
I tried the new version: it looks sharp, but I am a bit computer-challenged. When I wanted to go back and try another year, the first backward click gave me the "investigate" page, but the next back click gave me the "external link" page. Ought I be able to go backward--or what am I missing? W2r I think was the one who told me with the old version to use the "close results page" button, and I liked that.
However, many many thanks for putting this thing up!!!!

I tried Fidelity RIP just recently. It seemed to be flawed, for my use anyway:
1) the tax assumptions it made were incorrect and could not be overridden
2) it's use of my personal data did not help in directing the tax assumptions

For my needs a better set of tools is FIRECalc + ORP.

In the following thread I brought up a few things about ORP that I have struggled with: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f28/is-orp-right-about-this-61126.html#post1188826 . But ORP did make me consider the bigger picture regarding portfolio cash flows and taxation.

Have you reviewed Chapter 5 of the following RIP support document?:

http://personal.fidelity.com/planning/retirement/pdf/rip_methodology.pdf
I do not see how that helps to drive the tool to the correct assumptions. It made incorrect assumptions about my tax situation and there was no way I could find to give it the right data directly or indirectly. It takes the data and creates essential and discretionary spending.

Then in the worst case analysis it seems to forget that there is some discretion in reducing spending for a few years. That's what I see in the "detailed cash flow" statement. It did show that all is OK with our retirement spending plan though -- so I'm not unhappy with the final outcome just question the quality of the tool.

There may be some knobs and buttons I'm not aware of?

There may be some knobs and buttons I'm not aware of?
Have you used the detail budget worksheet to show variable expenses over various timeframes, over the length of your expected lifespan?

(BTW, I'm traveling and I probably won't get back to this forum for a few days if you have any response)...

Can I ask a FIRECALC question that I suppose has been answered in the past?

If I enter my annual "spending" at (for example) $50K, and my SS amount ($20K) as well, does FIRECALC include my SS in the 'spending'?

IOW, is FC calculating a withdrawal of $50K from my portfolio or only $30K (50 minus my SS of 20)

As I'm typing, I realize that this is likely a stupic question....

Can I ask a FIRECALC question that I suppose has been answered in the past?

If I enter my annual "spending" at (for example) $50K, and my SS amount ($20K) as well, does FIRECALC include my SS in the 'spending'?

IOW, is FC calculating a withdrawal of $50K from my portfolio or only $30K (50 minus my SS of 20)

As I'm typing, I realize that this is likely a stupic question....

Marko, FIRECalc will withdraw from your portfolio the net of income minus spending. In your example, $30K.

$30k. FIRECalc first 'spends' the income you input on the "Other Income/Spending" tab, then withdraws the balance needed from your portfolio.

Any updates on the updates?

If you are still looking for input, a useful output would be to report the minimum portfolio value that occurs at any point, rather than just the ending value.

You can test for this manually by entering a minimum portfolio value on the "Investigate" tab until you get close, but that is really cumbersome.

-ERD50

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom