Join Early Retirement Today

Firecalc does not figure taxes?
Old 08-15-2014, 11:03 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Firecalc does not figure taxes?

So my 90% success rate is ont really 90% because Firecalc doesn't include Fed taxes, FICA, medicare?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2014, 11:10 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulbar View Post
So my 90% success rate is ont really 90% because Firecalc doesn't include Fed taxes, FICA, medicare?
Taxes are an expense, you need to figure out what you'll be paying in taxes and build that into your budget. Your FIRECALC withdrawals are "gross withdrawals."

You'd need to enter a LOT more information if FIRECalc (or any other program) was going to figure out your taxes, too.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:15 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Odds are, you do not need to pay FICS or Medicare if you are using passive income like a rental or dividends.

Depending on your tax rate, figure at least 15% for federal taxes and some for the State, county, city, etc. Also figure property taxes.

When people retire at 30, I always wonder how they do it. It takes a LOT of money to retire at 55 without a great pension.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
You'd need to enter a LOT more information if FIRECalc (or any other program) was going to figure out your taxes, too.
+1

Bulbar, you can find an answer to many questions about FIRECalc - and educate yourself on how it works - by spending some time reading what the guy who created the program wrote here: How It Works

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 11:33 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Bulbar

After trying numerous free calculators, I found there were a couple of shortcomings. One was estimating social security (got many different answers) and the other was estimating taxes. In my particular tax situation I wanted to compare a number of Roth conversion curves to try and optimize the amount I convert each year.

I finally bought ESPlanner which IMHO does a very good job of estimating both Social Security and taxes. Now that I've tried it, it's my default planner.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, Firecalc takes into account taxes AS LONG AS you include them as part of your withdrawal. In other words, what you withdraw always has to cover taxes owed.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:11 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Try using this site to get an estimate of your expected state and federal taxes and then use that in your expense projection - Income Tax Calculator - Tax-Rates.org
Old 08-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #8

I use FRIP and ESPlanner taxes as a baseline guesstimate of taxes, which I include in my expenses when inputting into FIRECALC.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:36 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I think I'll look into that ESPlanner. thanks for the help
Old 08-15-2014, 02:56 PM   #10

BTW, I am extremely satisfied with ESPlanner Professional. It provides greater detail and is even more robust than FRIP, which is my other most favorite calculator (beyond FIRECALC, of course). Scott Burns, who has authored a couple books with Kotlikoff (ESPlanner creator) recommends it and uses the free version of ESPlanner for examples in his columns and blog. I've always thought a great deal of Burns and am pleased he recommends it.