Join Early Retirement Today

Firecalc interpretations
Old 01-02-2009, 04:29 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Firecalc interpretations

Not sure which board to post this at...

I just went thru firecalc (it had been around 2 years, so I decided to have a go).

If I plug in 60k of expenses today I know I would need around 1.2-1.5M saved to retire today. The 1.5 M is std 4% SWR. There was an option "investigate" and it allowed me to plug in "85% success rates" and "leave 100k at end"... it gave me a new graph which I do not understand. Can someone explain?

I am 18 years from FIRE, I would assume I need to move the 60k expense number upward (for inflation) and then the 1.5M number needs to be moved up as well... is there a way for firecalc to do this for me?

In addition I used the "your portfolio" tab and plugged in an allocation of 30% large value, 30% S&P 500, 5% small, 5% small value, 10% lt treasury, 10% lt corp bond and 10% 1 month treasury... it bumped my success rate to 100% (was in the 90's).

Is there any way to iterate this (the back button lost the page) so I can adjust from 70-30 to 60-40 or 40-60 for example?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post
The Firecalc Support forum. I'll move it over there.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jIMOh View Post

I just went thru firecalc (it had been around 2 years, so I decided to have a go).

If I plug in 60k of expenses today I know I would need around 1.2-1.5M saved to retire today. The 1.5 M is std 4% SWR. There was an option "investigate" and it allowed me to plug in "85% success rates" and "leave 100k at end"... it gave me a new graph which I do not understand. Can someone explain?

I am 18 years from FIRE, I would assume I need to move the 60k expense number upward (for inflation) and then the 1.5M number needs to be moved up as well... is there a way for firecalc to do this for me?

In addition I used the "your portfolio" tab and plugged in an allocation of 30% large value, 30% S&P 500, 5% small, 5% small value, 10% lt treasury, 10% lt corp bond and 10% 1 month treasury... it bumped my success rate to 100% (was in the 90's).

Is there any way to iterate this (the back button lost the page) so I can adjust from 70-30 to 60-40 or 40-60 for example?

For inflation just use this (present value)(1.03)^(years til retirement)= (Infalted Value)

60,000*1.03^18= $102,000
1,500,000*1.03^18= $2.55 M
Old 01-02-2009, 06:06 PM   #4

I'll take a shot at a couple of these.

There's a "Not Retired Yet" tab. If you enter your retirement year here, FIRECalc will apply inflation to your living expenses, so you don't need to inflate them yourself.

When I run FIRECalc, I get results in a new Firefox tab -- so I can return to the values I entered.

FIRECalc iterates through historical values for inflation and return, so the graph you see shows the value of your portfolio with a line for each interation.

And there is a useful feature on the results page -- at the upper right, "link to this set of data". This will give you a bookmark so you can return to the same set of inputs in the future. Or, very handy, you can post the bookmark here and we can see exactly what you're seeing.

I hope this helps, jIMOh.

Coach
Old 01-03-2009, 04:13 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I'll take a shot at a couple of these.

There's a "Not Retired Yet" tab. If you enter your retirement year here, FIRECalc will apply inflation to your living expenses, so you don't need to inflate them yourself.

When I run FIRECalc, I get results in a new Firefox tab -- so I can return to the values I entered.

FIRECalc iterates through historical values for inflation and return, so the graph you see shows the value of your portfolio with a line for each interation.

And there is a useful feature on the results page -- at the upper right, "link to this set of data". This will give you a bookmark so you can return to the same set of inputs in the future. Or, very handy, you can post the bookmark here and we can see exactly what you're seeing.

I hope this helps, jIMOh.

Coach
coach-
if I use investigate tab, I lose the "links" so I cannot paste the following:
change start value to 85 percent success and leave 100k in account.

Before that my inputs were:
http://firecalc.com/index.php?wdamt=...lcVersion=3.0&

To note-
I used a similar function on another site and it detailed the account value at retirement age (here I need to read the graph). Any way I can see the ranges of values at my retirement age (year 18)?

My edit to post lost the link above. Will repaste in a minute
Old 01-03-2009, 09:40 AM   #6

jMOh, thanks, I do see your dilemma. Taking your starting link, selecting investigate, specifying 85% success, 100K left over, picking the spending level radio button and submit -- gets a graph I can't make any sense of either.

Perhaps someone else can help out.

Coach
Old 01-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
jMOh, thanks, I do see your dilemma. Taking your starting link, selecting investigate, specifying 85% success, 100K left over, picking the spending level radio button and submit -- gets a graph I can't make any sense of either.

Perhaps someone else can help out.

Coach
When I am confused at same time as another I don't feel as lonely. Thx for keeping me company...

can anyone explain :confused:
Old 01-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

You might PM Dory36 with your question. Don't know if he's still around but it's worth a try.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote