Firecalc interpretations

jIMOh

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Not sure which board to post this at...

I just went thru firecalc (it had been around 2 years, so I decided to have a go).

If I plug in 60k of expenses today I know I would need around 1.2-1.5M saved to retire today. The 1.5 M is std 4% SWR. There was an option "investigate" and it allowed me to plug in "85% success rates" and "leave 100k at end"... it gave me a new graph which I do not understand. Can someone explain?

I am 18 years from FIRE, I would assume I need to move the 60k expense number upward (for inflation) and then the 1.5M number needs to be moved up as well... is there a way for firecalc to do this for me?

In addition I used the "your portfolio" tab and plugged in an allocation of 30% large value, 30% S&P 500, 5% small, 5% small value, 10% lt treasury, 10% lt corp bond and 10% 1 month treasury... it bumped my success rate to 100% (was in the 90's).

Is there any way to iterate this (the back button lost the page) so I can adjust from 70-30 to 60-40 or 40-60 for example?

Not sure which board to post this at...

I just went thru firecalc (it had been around 2 years, so I decided to have a go).

If I plug in 60k of expenses today I know I would need around 1.2-1.5M saved to retire today. The 1.5 M is std 4% SWR. There was an option "investigate" and it allowed me to plug in "85% success rates" and "leave 100k at end"... it gave me a new graph which I do not understand. Can someone explain?

I am 18 years from FIRE, I would assume I need to move the 60k expense number upward (for inflation) and then the 1.5M number needs to be moved up as well... is there a way for firecalc to do this for me?

In addition I used the "your portfolio" tab and plugged in an allocation of 30% large value, 30% S&P 500, 5% small, 5% small value, 10% lt treasury, 10% lt corp bond and 10% 1 month treasury... it bumped my success rate to 100% (was in the 90's).

Is there any way to iterate this (the back button lost the page) so I can adjust from 70-30 to 60-40 or 40-60 for example?

For inflation just use this (present value)(1.03)^(years til retirement)= (Infalted Value)

60,000*1.03^18= $102,000
1,500,000*1.03^18= $2.55 M

I'll take a shot at a couple of these.

There's a "Not Retired Yet" tab. If you enter your retirement year here, FIRECalc will apply inflation to your living expenses, so you don't need to inflate them yourself.

When I run FIRECalc, I get results in a new Firefox tab -- so I can return to the values I entered.

FIRECalc iterates through historical values for inflation and return, so the graph you see shows the value of your portfolio with a line for each interation.

And there is a useful feature on the results page -- at the upper right, "link to this set of data". This will give you a bookmark so you can return to the same set of inputs in the future. Or, very handy, you can post the bookmark here and we can see exactly what you're seeing.

I hope this helps, jIMOh.

Coach

I'll take a shot at a couple of these.

There's a "Not Retired Yet" tab. If you enter your retirement year here, FIRECalc will apply inflation to your living expenses, so you don't need to inflate them yourself.

When I run FIRECalc, I get results in a new Firefox tab -- so I can return to the values I entered.

FIRECalc iterates through historical values for inflation and return, so the graph you see shows the value of your portfolio with a line for each interation.

And there is a useful feature on the results page -- at the upper right, "link to this set of data". This will give you a bookmark so you can return to the same set of inputs in the future. Or, very handy, you can post the bookmark here and we can see exactly what you're seeing.

I hope this helps, jIMOh.

Coach

coach-
if I use investigate tab, I lose the "links" so I cannot paste the following:
change start value to 85 percent success and leave 100k in account.

Before that my inputs were:
http://firecalc.com/index.php?wdamt...oor=0&callprocess=Submit&FIRECalcVersion=3.0&

To note-
I used a similar function on another site and it detailed the account value at retirement age (here I need to read the graph). Any way I can see the ranges of values at my retirement age (year 18)?

My edit to post lost the link above. Will repaste in a minute

jMOh, thanks, I do see your dilemma. Taking your starting link, selecting investigate, specifying 85% success, 100K left over, picking the spending level radio button and submit -- gets a graph I can't make any sense of either.

Perhaps someone else can help out.

Coach

jMOh, thanks, I do see your dilemma. Taking your starting link, selecting investigate, specifying 85% success, 100K left over, picking the spending level radio button and submit -- gets a graph I can't make any sense of either.

Perhaps someone else can help out.

Coach

When I am confused at same time as another I don't feel as lonely. Thx for keeping me company... :rant:

can anyone explain :confused:

Back
Top Bottom