Join Early Retirement Today

FIRECALC strategy
Old 07-26-2006, 12:13 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

FIRECALC strategy

Say I want to semi-retire at 60 and fully retire at 65. At 60, I plan to stop contributing to my retirement savings, and basically just eat what I kill. At 65 I'd start my full SWR withdrawals. My nest egg withdrawal needs between 60 and 65 will be my annual expenses minus my earnings.

I'd like to know how much I'd have to earn for those 5 years (supplemented by lower than SWR withdrawals) in order to have a 95% success rate long-term. I set up a straight retire-at-65 scenario, then played around with various "decrease" and "increase" amounts for that 60-65 era on the expense page, but the results don't seem plausible -- the success rate doesn't seem to change despite the temporary amounts (perhaps because the deferred retirement year logic ignores withdrawals before then?).

How would you model this on FC?

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: FIRECALC strategy
Old 07-26-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I would be interested in trying to figure out this number as well.

My plan when I went parttime was to do the same. But instead, for tax reasons, I have continued to maximize my contributions and my "employer" contributions to my 401k plan.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:58 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Rich,

Tell FIRECALC you are going to retire at 60 with your projected nest egg and spending requirements at that time. *Then tell it you are going to receive additional income in years 1 through 5 and put the projected amount in. *If you expect your spending will change at age 65, you will also need to tell FIRECALC that.

You may want to crank the years in retirement up to 35 years if you are going to compare it to a 30 year retire at 65 simulation. *And you may not see much difference in the success rates or the SWR. *
Old 07-26-2006, 02:20 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Tell FIRECALC you are going to retire at 60 with your projected nest egg and spending requirements at that time. Then tell it you are going to receive additional income in years 1 through 5 and put the projected amount in. If you expect your spending will change at age 65, you will also need to tell FIRECALC that.
Ta dahhh.

That worked, Sgeeeee. Thanks. At least the numbers seem reasonable.

Even better, I liked the numbers it tells me I need to earn during that 5-year slow down. The favorable effect of even a moderate income stream in those first 5 years of retirement is a powerful one.

ESRBob will be proud of me.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 03:32 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
Ta dahhh.

That worked, Sgeeeee. Thanks. . .
Your welcome. I'm glad I could help and even happier that the results made you happy.