Join Early Retirement Today

FIRECalc when one spouse still works
Old 02-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #1

FIRECalc when one spouse still works

I'm tentatively shooting for "Class of 2016" status now that my wife is more secure in a career she plans to keep for a while. What I'm trying to do is figure out a way to enter data in FIRECalc that still includes her working income after my entered retirement date of 2016.

The only way I can think of (and not sure it's accurate) is this: Let's say she retires from this job in 2030, and let's assume her income will be $35,000 in current dollars. On the "Other Income/Spending" section, I entered a "pension" of $35,000 starting in 2013, and then below it entered "off chart spending" of $35,000 starting in 2030. The net result, I think, is that after 2030 the two offset each other and zero out. (Alternatively, it could have been an additional pension of *negative* $35,000 starting in 2030, I think it's the same either way.)

Anyone done this? Is that the appropriate way to get accurate results (he hopes, since it gives a 100% chance of success)....

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2013, 02:37 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Zig, that's exactly how I would do it, and be sure to keep the "inflation adj?" boxes checked on both entries. That should capture what you'd hope would be an annual raise to keep up with inflation, then an equal spending amount to offset the income loss once she retires in 2030.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Zig, that's exactly how I would do it, and be sure to keep the "inflation adj?" boxes checked on both entries. That should capture what you'd hope would be an annual raise to keep up with inflation, then an equal spending amount to offset the income loss once she retires in 2030.
Thanks, I did have the inflation adjustment checked on both of those entries but not on my puny frozen old Megacorp pension, so I think I have it all down right.

And that's good; it shows a 92% success rate with retirement in 2013, 97% in 2014, 99% in 2015 and 100% in 2016 and beyond. So I think "Class of 2016" sounds about right.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

Old 02-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I still work part-time and DH has retired but I still run Firecalc each year as projections get more firm. We don't have level spending over the next several years so I use the manual spending. I put in the manual spending for the next several years (until it levels off), then I go through and I deduct from manual spending each year the net (after taxes) for my income.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
And that's good; it shows a 92% success rate with retirement in 2013, 97% in 2014, 99% in 2015 and 100% in 2016 and beyond. So I think "Class of 2016" sounds about right.
IOW, you're already FI but refuse to believe it...

Old 02-15-2013, 03:00 PM   #6

Quote:
IOW, you're already FI but refuse to believe it...
Are you saying I have "Three More Years Syndrome"?

Old 02-15-2013, 03:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Yes!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Either that or fear of being accused of "keptomania".

Old 02-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, and DW has 17 more years syndrome!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
What is this "annual raise" that you speak of? I vaguely recall and have read of such a thing but I'm not really familiar with how it works.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Yes, and DW has 17 more years syndrome!
Well, she did say she hoped to stick with it for "15 or 20 years," so I split the difference. Besides, 2030 is a nice round number and it's also when I turn 65 and get my full (but puny) old Megacorp pension.