Join Early Retirement Today

Great calculator but need advice
Old 11-16-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

Great calculator but need advice

I have used this calculator for years - been awhile since I used it and when I went in yesterday I was unable to find how to produce the year by year columns rather than the graph. How do I see and print the year by year details? Thanks

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2015, 09:27 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

the missing link.?? Sorry I guess since this is the firecalc forum it must be firecalc. And REwahoo posted what I found when I looked.
Trouble for me is that I don't have excel it didn't seem to work. But I may just be having trouble finding download folder.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

On the "Investigate" tab, check the optional box located in the "Display the results of the retirement plan" section.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:52 AM   #4

Thanks - but after input I click on investigate and then display results. I get a list of the input numbers but not the year by year numbers I use to be able to display
Old 11-17-2015, 06:59 AM   #5

On the Results page you should see the following:

Quote:
Open an (unformatted) Excel spreadsheet showing the inflation-adjusted end-of-year portfolio balances for every year in each of the cycles tested by FIRECalc.
Click the link to display.

Old 11-17-2015, 07:56 AM   #6

my apologies but when I go to results page I see no option for spreadsheet or anything like you describe
Old 11-17-2015, 08:11 AM   #7

Not sure why you aren't seeing it. Are you logged in? Did you check the box on the Investigate tab?

Old 11-17-2015, 08:21 AM   #8

no not logged in - never had to before - I will try that - thanks
Old 11-17-2015, 08:26 AM   #9

logged in and got to the excel spreadsheet. Very difficult to read or follow compared to previous option when I last used firecalc. So there is no way to show in a clear format the year by year balances, etc.?
Old 11-17-2015, 08:39 AM   #10

I'm not aware of any other options.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #11
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The only columns I know that show up on firecalc.com is if you click on "What happens if you retire in any of several years between now and <?> years from now" in the investigate tab...
Old 11-17-2015, 01:19 PM   #12

that is interesting - as mentioned I used this for years for clients and myself as recently as early in this current year. When you displayed your results it would show a year by year column of starting balance, income withdrawal, interest earned, and ending balance.

The in year two it would show the same adjusted by the inflation figure input. It would do the same year by year for the 30 year period (or whatever life expectancy input). So at the end of the 30 year period it would show balance left in that year, inflation adjusted income needed, etc. Very easy to follow and read. Now all I can find is several paragraphs followed by a graph. Unsure why they would change it that radically.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:26 PM   #13

Since you use this for clients... I hope you have contributed to the ongoing support of the tool. I use it for personal use, but found enough value to free up a few spare dollars to donate. (And I'm notoriously cheap.)
Old 11-24-2015, 05:26 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlk5353 View Post
that is interesting - as mentioned I used this for years for clients and myself as recently as early in this current year. When you displayed your results it would show a year by year column of starting balance, income withdrawal, interest earned, and ending balance.

The in year two it would show the same adjusted by the inflation figure input. It would do the same year by year for the 30 year period (or whatever life expectancy input). So at the end of the 30 year period it would show balance left in that year, inflation adjusted income needed, etc. Very easy to follow and read. Now all I can find is several paragraphs followed by a graph. Unsure why they would change it that radically.
Were you actually using another calculator? cfiresim appears to do what you are talking about. (Pulled it up to look at and remembered this thread)