Join Early Retirement Today

how do I model for increases in healthcare spending?
Old 01-26-2016, 05:57 PM   #1

how do I model for increases in healthcare spending?

Hello all,

Is there a way to run FIRECalc that would allow me to model for increases in healthcare premiums/max OOP from early retirement through age 65, then adjust the amount down from there on out for Medicare costs, which I would expect to be lower?

I looked at the "off chart" spending section, but I don't see how you can model it for anything more than inflation.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2016, 06:51 PM   #2

You can adjust the amount downward when medicare kicks in by creating a "pension" at age 65 that mimics the spending difference between non medicare and medicare.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
You can adjust the amount downward when medicare kicks in by creating a "pension" at age 65 that mimics the spending difference between non medicare and medicare.
That makes sense, for sure. Thanks! But any ideas on how to model the increase in healthcare costs for the years before Medicare that likely will be more than inflation?

Old 01-26-2016, 08:23 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I only have about years until Medicare and will be on COBRA/CAL-COBRA for much of it. I'm simply over budgeting a $7K cost annually (costs are only $5K annual now) until Medicare kicks in. Not very scientific, I know, others may have better suggestions, but this is how I'm dealing with it the lazy method I'm using.
Options is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:17 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
Is there a way to run FIRECalc that would allow me to model for increases in healthcare premiums/max OOP from early retirement through age 65, then adjust the amount down from there on out for Medicare costs, which I would expect to be lower?
That is where other planners come in. Fidelity RIP handles healthcare and medicare expenses.

Plan for more than you think.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 05:58 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
That is where other planners come in. Fidelity RIP handles healthcare and medicare expenses.

Plan for more than you think.
Thank you - I will check it out for sure!

Old 01-27-2016, 06:21 AM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
That makes sense, for sure. Thanks! But any ideas on how to model the increase in healthcare costs for the years before Medicare that likely will be more than inflation?
One way to approach that is to calculate how much "excess healthcare spending" you want to plan for from now to Medicare eligibility, then either subtract that from your current portfolio or add it into FIRECalc as lump sum spending in the "portfolio changes" tab.

For example, if you want to plan for 10 years of having to pay a yearly $5K deductible, you could either set aside now $50k and not include it as part of your portfolio, or you can enter it as some lump sum expenses over that same time period.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 07:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
One way to approach that is to calculate how much "excess healthcare spending" you want to plan for from now to Medicare eligibility, then either subtract that from your current portfolio or add it into FIRECalc as lump sum spending in the "portfolio changes" tab.

For example, if you want to plan for 10 years of having to pay a yearly $5K deductible, you could either set aside now $50k and not include it as part of your portfolio, or you can enter it as some lump sum expenses over that same time period.
Awesome, thank you!!!

I knew you guys would have a work-around!

I am thinking of modeling ACA premiums to increase at about 10% a year, to be safe - does that sound like a good estimate?

Any suggestions on how much to model the max OOP to go up on ACA plans each year?

Old 02-11-2016, 08:13 AM   #9

I am still working on this tedious task. What a challenge!

I am working on using Fidelity's RIP to see how my projections look with it, but I have a question about FIRE calc.

Under the spending models tab I see that the default uses CPI for inflation adjustments. Does that work out to be more than the 3% option for inflation?

In other words, what % would you estimate the CPI option equates to?

I'm asking because I am trying to figure out how much extra our total healthcare costs will be than basic Medicare inflated by the CPI over our total projected retirement years.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks!

Old 02-17-2016, 02:40 PM   #10
gone traveling

I don't know FIREcalc very well so more experienced users might have better ideas, but sometimes the best solution to issues like this is to throw the numbers into an Excel spreadsheet and just work it out using brute force - don't know if that is appropriate here, sorry.

As for CPI, again, I don't know how FIREcalc handles it but the average inflation rate in the US over the last 100 years has been 3.2%. The last decade has obviously been a lot lower. Healthcare has been a lot higher - about 3% for the last few years, 5.4% long term. I have modelled my healthcare at 5.5% - I'm not all that concerned about long term fluctuations as I figure Medicare will pick up the slack at 65.

Hope that helps, sorry I can't help more.
Andy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:04 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
I am still working on this tedious task. What a challenge!

I am working on using Fidelity's RIP to see how my projections look with it, but I have a question about FIRE calc.

Under the spending models tab I see that the default uses CPI for inflation adjustments. Does that work out to be more than the 3% option for inflation?

In other words, what % would you estimate the CPI option equates to?

I'm asking because I am trying to figure out how much extra our total healthcare costs will be than basic Medicare inflated by the CPI over our total projected retirement years.

Hope that makes sense. Thanks!
SG, I'd guess that the historic CPI in FIRECalc is 2.5%. While 7% inflation in healthcare is high, one way to model it would be to break CPI into two components - healthcare @7% and other @ 2% - 2.5%. This comes out to around 3.25% or so for average total inflation.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote