Join Early Retirement Today

I have a Dumb question?
Old 12-16-2012, 06:34 AM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

I have a Dumb question?

How do you access firecalc?
Cjacks

Sorry, the title was supposed to read "dumb question" does anyone know how to change the title?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2012, 06:36 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Link near the bottom of the page.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would suggest you use google instead.
Let me google that for you
Old 12-16-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks LOL, but apparently it is not IPad compatible. When I submit info it doesn't respond!
Cjacks
Old 12-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjacks View Post
Thanks LOL, but apparently it is not IPad compatible. When I submit info it doesn't respond!
Cjacks
Works on my iPad. Fill in the numbers, hit submit, a new window opens with the results and a nice graph.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:15 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjacks View Post
Cjacks

Sorry, the title was supposed to read "dumb question" does anyone know how to change the title?
I actually sort of like "Dunbar question" to mean "dumb question" and figured you had done it on purpose .
Old 12-16-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
Administrator

I changed the title for you, since that was your intent. If you decide you prefer "Dunbar question" just let us know....

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
That is so cool how you can do that once you open the link. Tells ya how pc savy I am. I still don't know how you did it, but I learned something today.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:42 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post
That is so cool how you can do that once you open the link. Tells ya how pc savy I am. I still don't know how you did it, but I learned something today.
That is pretty neat.

Go to Let Me Google That For You to be able to do this.
Old 12-17-2012, 12:59 PM   #10
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No question is dumb around here. All of us are learning from each other and sharing ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjacks
Cjacks

Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:10 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

Thanks for all your help. No, sorry to say I didn't do the "Dunbar" thing on purpose. I seem to experience a lot of typo's with the IPad. I'll give firecalc another try when I'm feeling more adventurous. My interest in firecalc is more about curiosity then need. Although I am not good with computers I am pretty good at crunching numbers. Anyway it turns out that when I sat down and added things up a couple years ago when I turned 60, I was a lot better off then I realized. I am leaving my job March 1 st and technically retirement is going to commence on my 63rd birthday in July. Thanks again for all the help.
Cjacks
Old 12-19-2012, 10:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Thanks, LOL. "Let me...you" is now on my favorite places list.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #13

Dunbar's number

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
See also: Dunbar (disambiguation)
Dunbar's number is a suggested cognitive limit to the number of people with whom one can maintain stable social relationships. These are relationships in which an individual knows who each person is, and how each person relates to every other person.[1] Proponents assert that numbers larger than this generally require more restrictive rules, laws, and enforced norms to maintain a stable, cohesive group. No precise value has been proposed for Dunbar's number. It has been proposed to lie between 100 and 230, with a commonly used value of 150.[2][3] Dunbar's number states the number of people one knows and keeps social contact with, and it does not include the number of people known personally with a ceased social relationship, nor people just generally known with a lack of persistent social relationship, a number which might be much higher and likely depends on long-term memory size.
Dunbar's number was first proposed by British anthropologist Robin Dunbar, who theorized that "this limit is a direct function of relative neocortex size, and that this in turn limits group size ... the limit imposed by neocortical processing capacity is simply on the number of individuals with whom a stable inter-personal relationship can be maintained." On the periphery, the number also includes past colleagues such as high school friends with whom a person would want to reacquaint oneself if they met again.[4]
Old 12-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Wow! I can't believe I accidentally referred to something so sophisticated. I'm still not sure I know how to use firecalc, but I can figure out what my Dunbar rating is. This forum is just full of surprises. And with a little effort i might be able to increase my Dunbar rating. Can I change the title back to Dunbar? ( just kidding, please don't change the title.)
Old 12-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

...And here I thought it was some obscure reference to Dances With Wolves... "No, not 'dumb bear' -- Dunbar."