Join Early Retirement Today

Income/Spending Tab
Old 05-16-2017, 08:55 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Income/Spending Tab

Questions:

1. On the start tab, the spending portion: I can only assume this is asking what I want to spend annually correct? If so, then when I put in 110K spending with a portfolio of 525K it give me 100% for all the spending models. This maybe because I entered our guaranteed income of 79K after tax not counting my SS at 62 (now 57) or my other small pension of 7K. Does that make sense, or am I missing something?

2. On the Income and spending tab there are only 3 lines for input (goes to my point on line #1 above), and I have a few more pension checks coming in at certain intervals. (A good thing), however to get a better true assessment on if/when I can walk away, it would be nice to enter? Also, I am putting in after tax numbers so I can be a little more conservative

3. Lastly, is there a specific ROR or a burn rate FIRECALC uses for these scenarios?

Thanks so much and looking forward to your wisdom
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

1. Yes, the numbers are annual rates. Doing the math, 110K - 79K - 7K = 24K, which is about a 4.57% withdrawal rate on your 525K. That seems like it is high enough that it should fail sometimes, particularly for longer periods of time with low stock allocations. Not knowing what you're using for the time period and equity allocations, it is possible that you're seeing 100% success.

2. I think people who support FIREcalc with a small donation can get access to more input lines. You can also try out ******** which is a similar calculator which has more input lines.

3. FIREcalc is most often used as a historical calculator, which means it uses historical rates of return and sees how you would fare if you had retired in the past. There is a "random" option on the portfolio page if you want to do a Monte Carlo analysis. Not sure what you mean by "burn rate", but if you use the default configuration, it will take your spending and increase it by historical inflation every year, subtracting that amount from your portfolio, which it increases by historical market returns applied to the asset allocation of your portfolio.

Hope that helps.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:31 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondCor521 View Post
1. Yes, the numbers are annual rates. Doing the math, 110K - 79K - 7K = 24K, which is about a 4.57% withdrawal rate on your 525K. That seems like it is high enough that it should fail sometimes, particularly for longer periods of time with low stock allocations. Not knowing what you're using for the time period and equity allocations, it is possible that you're seeing 100% success.

2. I think people who support FIREcalc with a small donation can get access to more input lines. You can also try out ******** which is a similar calculator which has more input lines.

3. FIREcalc is most often used as a historical calculator, which means it uses historical rates of return and sees how you would fare if you had retired in the past. There is a "random" option on the portfolio page if you want to do a Monte Carlo analysis. Not sure what you mean by "burn rate", but if you use the default configuration, it will take your spending and increase it by historical inflation every year, subtracting that amount from your portfolio, which it increases by historical market returns applied to the asset allocation of your portfolio.

Hope that helps.
1. Yes...correct, good catch. Re-doing the math with the above numbers it would only give me a 95% success rate for 40 years. However, not adding in my SS at 62 would still give me 100% @ 40 years spending 100K annually.
To note: I kept out of calculations other fluff like 150K in another investment account, and 100K in cash . Health care should NOT be a big issue because I am retired Military. Looks like "finally" in Dec of 2018 @ 58 years old..... just maybe the year!
cnocmmz is offline   Reply With Quote