Midpack's FIRECalc post 59988

Steven

Dryer sheet aficionado
...At any rate, I used your consistent market growth 0% market growth -0% fixed income -3% inflation scenario and the 100% success threshold 30 year withdrawal rate was 1.98%. This literally models putting your money under your mattress in a 3% inflation environment! IMO, the consistent market growth option shouldn't be used to model any real world scenario except under the mattress...

...If you actually plan to invest in equities and fixed income but you want to model a net 0% return to be "most conservative/cautious", I think you'd have to select the fourth Your Portfolio option, random performance, and enter 0% portfolio return, 10% standard deviation (default, unless you believe otherwise) and 3% inflation. That results a 100% success threshold 30 year withdrawal rate of about 0.9%!...

Anyone know how to have Firecalc display withdrawal rates?
I found this older post (59988) today while researching the same question as the original OP. In part of Midpack's reply she showed a withdrawal rate from Firecalc. (see above)
Anyone know how Midpack was able to get Firecalc to display withdrawal rates ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeez, I guess I should reply to this thread given the subject...

Check out the Investigate Tab, specifically as shown in the attachment below.

You enter spending, portfolio and years on the first (Start Here) page. When you choose "Spending Level" (see red arrow) on the Investigate page, FIRECALC will use your portfolio and years inputs and ignore your spending input. That investigate option calculates (first year) spending for you and returns an answer in $ and as a withdrawal rate. That's all I did...

The Investigate page is very useful IMO.

And Midpack is a "he" - avatar notwithstanding (just someone I admire).
Well, I had never played with the consistent market growth option, but now I realize what it is. It's literally a fixed rate of return, in your scenario, a 0% return on equity and fixed income and 3% inflation - year in and year out. And that's why there is only one line on the results chart, even if you enter some positive return. Unless you're literally putting your money under a mattress, I don't believe there are any real (30 year) fixed rate of return investments. Even if equity and fixed income returns 0% overall, they will flucuate from year to year.

At any rate, I used your consistent market growth 0% market growth -0% fixed income -3% inflation scenario and the 100% success threshold 30 year withdrawal rate was 1.98%. This literally models putting your money under your mattress in a 3% inflation environment! IMO, the consistent market growth option shouldn't be used to model any real world scenario except under the mattress.

If you actually plan to invest in equities and fixed income but you want to model a net 0% return to be "most conservative/cautious", I think you'd have to select the fourth Your Portfolio option, random performance, and enter 0% portfolio return, 10% standard deviation (default, unless you believe otherwise) and 3% inflation. That results a 100% success threshold 30 year withdrawal rate of about 0.9%! OUCH!

I hadn't thought about it, but that says if you expect a 0% distribution portfolio return, you are indeed better off putting your money under your mattress instead of investing at all (based on 100% success WR's).

However, in your example you also have an appreciating asset in Soc Security which will improve your WR result.

And if we have 0% portfolio returns and 3% inflation for 30 years, we are all in big trouble...

Attachments

• WRInvestigate.jpg
    WRInvestigate.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Midpack - Thank you for your extremely helpful reply . My apologies for refering to you as a she.

Midpack - Thank you for your extremely helpful reply . My apologies for refering to you as a she.
No apology necessary, perfectly understandable given my avatar...there are several confusing avatars here.

I need an avatar but can't find a pic of a "dryer sheet wannabe".

I'm wondering about that Spending Level selection.

RUN #1 I got a 100% success rate "Percentage of Remaining Portfolio" selected on the Spending Models tab and "Display the results of the retirement plan" selected on the Investigate tab. Good so far and even better is the fact that the portfolio never dips into very low levels in all 69 of the 20 year runs.

RUN #2 I just change the Investigate tab to "Spending Level" and for the same initial spending level ( I see a 3 failures out of 69 periods. This looks very different the RUN #1 and is a troubling result.

I changed the Spending Model to CPI adjusted:
RUN #3 Same as RUN #1 but with CPI adjusted spending. Got 100% success but minimum portfolio values went lower, as expected.

Next I decide to use RUN #2 and keep the change I made in RUN #3.
RUN #4 Same as RUN #3 but select "Spending Level" results. Now I get excellent results. No failures and high spending levels allowed.

It looks like if you pick Spending Level for the results you better not have selected "Percentage of Remaining Portfolio". Seems to be a FIRECalc bug -- or is it operator error?

P.S. No I am not a Blue Rabbit. ;)

Good thread, and I will move it to Firecalc Support which is where MidPack (before her sex change) had the post referenced here.

I always wondered about Midpack's avatar, I just learned to use Google's reverse image look-up so I gave that a shot -- now I know who she is. I guess it would have been easier to ask. :)

I always wondered about Midpack's avatar, I just learned to use Google's reverse image look-up so I gave that a shot -- now I know who she is. I guess it would have been easier to ask. :)

He's told us before who she is, but I forget....

I wasn't flying the airplane in my avatar but I did take the photo and have done the maneuver in that airplane. It's a Taylorcraft, built around 1946.

He's told us before who she is, but I forget....
What about Khan and all the other avatars that could be misleading? I didn't start the practice! :LOL:

TMI

but funny...

Last edited:
Of course, my avatar is not comfusing at all. I really AM a GMC one ton dually...

I know we have quite a few cats and dogs posting here as well, along with several cars and boats and all sorts of inanimate objects. Many of the inanimate objects posting here are surprisingly bright/clever. :D

Back
Top Bottom