What am I doing wrong?

poorcarver

Recycles dryer sheets
I have entered data for SSN to start at some point in the future, entered my portfolio value, indicated retirement to comment in 2014 and used the investigate function to determine required portfolio to achieve spending indicated. I got a result. Then I used the manual entry function and varied my spending over the years and got the same result for required portfolio. This does not make sense. In the second case I was asking for less money which I would expect to find required a smaller portfolio starting balance.

I did this a few weeks ago and found the result I expected, that is using the manual spending entry by year resulted in a different result than simply a flat spending request.

What am I doing wrong?

I am a supporter, if that means anything.

Thank you,

Terry McCammon

I have entered data for SSN to start at some point in the future, entered my portfolio value, indicated retirement to comment in 2014 and used the investigate function to determine required portfolio to achieve spending indicated. I got a result. Then I used the manual entry function and varied my spending over the years and got the same result for required portfolio. This does not make sense. In the second case I was asking for less money which I would expect to find required a smaller portfolio starting balance.

I did this a few weeks ago and found the result I expected, that is using the manual spending entry by year resulted in a different result than simply a flat spending request.

What am I doing wrong?

I am a supporter, if that means anything.

Thank you,

Terry McCammon

Forgive me, Terry, maybe it's just me, but after having read your post several times over the last day or so, I still have absolutely no idea what you are trying to ask or say.

Is the "manual entry function" to which you refer something that supporters get that the rest of us don't?

All I can tell for sure is that you are not seeing the result you expect. If you post some more details then perhaps some of the many good people here can answer your question or at least explain what is happening.

Edit to add: Most people post some kind of introduction in the Hi, I am... forum. I do see there is some Googleable information available --- assuming Google found the right Terry.

Last edited:
I think Terry is trying to run various scenarios in FIRECalc (that he has supported by making a donation).

I'm hoping a more experienced FIRECalc user will be able to step in here soon and offer Terry advice on the 'specifics'....or offer some clarification.

omni

Need more info. For example, if your SS is greater than your spending, your portfolio won't matter. Need more info.

-ERD50

Rustward: If you are a supporter you can enter a year by year spending amount in current dollars. This is useful if you have major planned expenses that go up and down.

How does one become a "supporter.?" I thought I read somewhere on one of the forums that there really is no way to become a supporter and get the enhanced functions.

click onthe FireCalc link to the right. This should provide links that should lead you to a screen with a link to contribute via PayPal to become a supporter.

Last edited:
I clicked on link and found how to log in but not how to join and support.

On the main firecalc page look for the "supporter login" link, ( I think you already found that ). Directly under that there is a "what's this" link. That takes you to a page to sign up as a supporter ( I think, I haven't actually gone through all of it )

Thanks for your support of FIRECalc!

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, I have been at Scout camp and other things. Plus my employer has odd ideas about productivity.

Answering questions,

1. I did fail to introduce myself. At the time it seemed moot as I really had nothing to offer so could not see how anyone would care. Will remedy that shortly.

2. With regard to being a supporter. When I first went to FireCalc there was a clickable element in the upper right hand part of the screen which indicated click here to support. I gave some nominal amount via PayPal as I used the tool from time to time. At that point the element changed to "supporter login" presumably a cookie was set and it recognizes me.

3. Trying to make my admittedly rather complex question sensible: 1. Using the Investigate tab, then choosing the "Given a success rate..." radio button, the results do not change regardless of a wide range of changes entered in the manual spending entry area. This area is available only to supporters.

4. Based on the results I did get as I modified various entries, it appeared that the entire part might not be actually functional. In some cases, changing things led to completely different screen presentations of the entire web site on my browser (IE). Hence my question. Frankly I wondered if the tool was unstable.

5. The whole thing struck me the way it bothers if your check book does not balance by $.01. It is not about the penny, it is about the imbalance, is something major being overlooked. It called into question whether the whole thing works right or not.

Thanks for the help,

Terry

We're looking into it. Thanks for alerting us.

Back
Top Bottom