1095-A problem

broadway

Full time employment: Posting here.
rant
===
I don't understand why I was able to have correct 1095-A for 2015 in the middle in January but not so for 2016.

In 2015, I received a subsidy for Jan-Mar, then I switched to paying 100% once I had found a job but without health insurance.

In 2016, I adjusted my anticipated annual 2016 income such that I would have to pay $20 more per month for Feb - Dec. This was a mistake to do. I should have left everything alone since that extra $20 wasn't going to "break the bank".

As of today, I have one 1095-A showing coverage for Jan 2016 and nothing for the remaining months.

I called HealthCare.gov and I was told that I should allow two weeks for them to fix this, or that someone *may* already be working on getting me the second 1095-A.

rant
===
I don't understand why I was able to have correct 1095-A for 2015 in the middle in January but not so for 2016.

In 2015, I received a subsidy for Jan-Mar, then I switched to paying 100% once I had found a job but without health insurance.

In 2016, I adjusted my anticipated annual 2016 income such that I would have to pay $20 more per month for Feb - Dec. This was a mistake to do. I should have left everything alone since that extra $20 wasn't going to "break the bank".

As of today, I have one 1095-A showing coverage for Jan 2016 and nothing for the remaining months.

I called HealthCare.gov and I was told that I should allow two weeks for them to fix this, or that someone *may* already be working on getting me the second 1095-A.

They didn't test that logic path; you did.

one of my 1095B providers has on their website that they will be available March 2nd. so we wait

They didn't test that logic path; you did.

But the logic path was already tested.
The logic path being that the premium changed mid-year.
Though I suppose it could be different logic path if going from subsidized1 to full versus going from subsidized1 to subsidized2.

:nonono:

But the logic path was already tested.
The logic path being that the premium changed mid-year.
Though I suppose it could be different logic path if going from subsidized1 to full versus going from subsidized1 to subsidized2.

:nonono:

No there was logic to change the data. Now they're actually processing that data and producing statements. The logic to handle the case you provided, by changing your income, was likely incorrect or missing.

Last edited:
No there was logic to change the data. Now they're actually processing that data and producing statements. The logic to handle the case you provided, by changing your income, was likely incorrect or missing.

How is 2016 different than 2015 ?
The only difference is in the income amount, and in both cases, my income was an hypothesis in December of 2014 and 2015.

I changed income half way thru the year so I needed two 1095-As. I got the first one a few weeks ago but just got the second one yesterday. I'm sure yours will get to you soon.
Now if I can just get TD Ameritrade to send me their paperwork then I can get going on my taxes.

I changed income half way thru the year so I needed two 1095-As. I got the first one a few weeks ago but just got the second one yesterday. I'm sure yours will get to you soon.
Right. But I had the same thing in 2015, and both 1095-A were received within days of each other and by the middle of January.
I am not understanding why this year would be any different.
I would have thought that the software was already in place given that it was done properly last year.

Now if I can just get TD Ameritrade to send me their paperwork then I can get going on my taxes.
I am waiting for mine from TradeKing too.

How is 2016 different than 2015 ?
The only difference is in the income amount, and in both cases, my income was an hypothesis in December of 2014 and 2015.

Somebody changed the surrounding code? You realize I'm guessing.

However I've seen way too many younger developers clean up a little code as they went along; only to introduce defects.

Last edited:
Somebody changed the surrounding code? You realize I'm guessing.

However I've seen way too many younger developers clean up a little code as they went along; only to introduce defects.

I am also wondering whether the change in administration has anything to do with this given the disdain the new administration has for ACA. Have they pulled out all sustaining efforts for it? Sad.

I am also wondering whether the change in administration has anything to do with this given the disdain the new administration has for ACA. Have they pulled out all sustaining efforts for it? Sad.

No. That's not why there's a defect/missing code.
We don't change reporting applications in order to change laws. There's a different process for that.:D

I received a "corrected" 1095-A today.

And it is still wrong.

Now, it shows that I have no coverage for the month of January 2016.

I had coverage for the entire year with the premium for the month of January 2016 being $20 lower than the other months.
After I renewed my coverage for 2016 I thought it would be a good idea to re-adjust my AGI for 2016. Was I wrong! It has been a mess. :nonono:

I don't know where they are getting their information from.
They're obviously not talking to Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of NJ.

:mad:

I received a "corrected" 1095-A today.

And it is still wrong.

Now, it shows that I have no coverage for the month of January 2016.

I had coverage for the entire year with the premium for the month of January 2016 being $20 lower than the other months.
After I renewed my coverage for 2016 I thought it would be a good idea to re-adjust my AGI for 2016. Was I wrong! It has been a mess. :nonono:

I don't know where they are getting their information from.
They're obviously not talking to Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of NJ.

:mad:

From what I have read by other posters, you got what you were supposed to get... TWO 1095s.... one for the premiums for Jan and the second for the rest of the year...

From what I have read by other posters, you got what you were supposed to get... TWO 1095s.... one for the premiums for Jan and the second for the rest of the year...
That is what I am suppose to get - two 1095-As.
I had the same thing last year.
See my earlier posts.

However, this time, the second 1095-A was marked as "Corrected" which means that is the one I am suppose to use.

As I wrote before, they got it right for 2015, but they completely mess it up for 2016. :mad:

That is what I am suppose to get - two 1095-As.
I had the same thing last year.
See my earlier posts.

However, this time, the second 1095-A was marked as "Corrected" which means that is the one I am suppose to use.

As I wrote before, they got it right for 2015, but they completely mess it up for 2016. :mad:

Sorry.... but if it were me I would just put down the info that I know is correct and see what happens... if the IRS does nothing... then you are good to go.... if they come back, then go back to get it corrected again...

Also, if you can... just add a note to your return stating the fact you are putting down the correct info....

Sorry.... but if it were me I would just put down the info that I know is correct and see what happens... if the IRS does nothing... then you are good to go.... if they come back, then go back to get it corrected again...
Good point.
I don't have to attach Form 1095-A, so I will just fill out Form 8962 with the correct numbers.

I had a similar problem because DW went on Medicare mid year. The first 1095A only showed my coverage for the latter part of the year. I called healthcare.gov twice. 2 weeks after the second call, I got a 1095A for the first part of the year when both of us were covered with the word corrected on it. I just used the data from both forms to fill out my return. I efiled with Turbo Tax so don't worry about attaching the forms. Since you got 2 forms that together have the correct info, you should be OK.

I do taxes as a volunteer for AARP. as others have said, just enter the correct data when you do your taxes and you'll be fine.

I had a similar problem because DW went on Medicare mid year. The first 1095A only showed my coverage for the latter part of the year. I called healthcare.gov twice. 2 weeks after the second call, I got a 1095A for the first part of the year when both of us were covered with the word corrected on it. I just used the data from both forms to fill out my return. I efiled with Turbo Tax so don't worry about attaching the forms. Since you got 2 forms that together have the correct info, you should be OK.
You should also have gotten a 1095b from medicare the year you turned 65 (at least I did last year, and they had to send a corrected version, since it did not have all the info on it)

One thing that I do not know why.... but they do not put the second lowest silver plan on my 1095.... I do not take the subsidy during the year (well, this year I started) so have to go and figure it out... but I am not sure it is correct...

still wrong

After I called up the Healtcare.gov yet again, they still sent me the wrong 1095-A.

I filed my taxes saying that I have coverage for the entire year of 2016 and I did. I paid every month.

I am concerned for the future.
What if "they" use Form 1095-A as proof that I did not have continuous coverage.

What do I do?
Calls don't seem to get to the right people.

Back
Top Bottom