Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-12-2016, 05:33 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I eat when I'm hungry, and quit when I'm full. No special schedules are involved.

I would not enjoy having rules for when I eat. To me, it makes eating sound like taking medicine. What if I got hungry, but it wasn't time to eat? I realize some rules may become necessary when something gets out of whack with the body.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Does anybody practice the 'wait 12 hours between dinner and breakfast before eating again' rule?

I have read about this but so far haven't seen any science behind it. It's supposed to improve blood lipid levels and burn some additional fat. I guess if it keeps one from snacking on junk food after dinner that is a small help.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 06:14 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
But what about 2nd breakfast?
LOL

Old 04-12-2016, 06:17 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
I do it, but didn't know I do it.
+1 I usually have dinner 6PM and breakfast 6AM. Not for the 12 hours, it's just when I want to eat.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:37 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Does anybody practice the 'wait 12 hours between dinner and breakfast before eating again' rule?

I have read about this but so far haven't seen any science behind it. It's supposed to improve blood lipid levels and burn some additional fat. I guess if it keeps one from snacking on junk food after dinner that is a small help.
It's called "intermittent fasting". Google it, there's a guy that has a great website about it with lots of scientific studies to back it up. You decide. Basically, you eat all your meals in an 8 hour duration, so in this case it's actually a 16 hour fast. You could probably do a 12 hour fast as well. Will you lose weight? Sure, you're basically limiting all snacking . You can choose you're hours to eat, but a typical person would go 10-6pm. So you don't eat your first meal till 10am. So much for breakfast is the most important meal. He has science to back that up,too.

I've done it, and I like it. You'd think not eating breakfast would be bad, but it's not at all. I find I don't get hungry till noon most days,and don't feel any energy drop. Is it a panacea? Probably not, but might be worth a try.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #25

Most of the studies I've seen suggest that frequent small meals are better, at least in terms of managing blood sugar, than three larger meals. I think the "three squares a day" largely arose out of convenience for the common work schedule, not necessarily because it was the best way to eat. Having something like 6 "mini meals" a day, perhaps 300-400 calories each, may help prevent some of the sluggishness that can come with blood sugar spikes and crashes induced by larger meals.

That said, I know very few people who really do eat that way. But the nutrition science behind it does make some sense to me, especially for diabetics and pre-diabetics.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12 hours