Join Early Retirement Today

12 hours between dinner and breakfast?
Old 03-13-2016, 01:28 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Does anybody practice the 'wait 12 hours between dinner and breakfast before eating again' rule?

I have read about this but so far haven't seen any science behind it. It's supposed to improve blood lipid levels and burn some additional fat. I guess if it keeps one from snacking on junk food after dinner that is a small help.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-13-2016, 02:09 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

The best way to keep from snacking on junk food is to not allow it into the house.

I normally eat dinner around 7 and breakfast around 8am. I can't say that I notice any difference from when I worked and ate dinner closer to 8-8:30 and breakfast around 5:30-6.

Old 03-13-2016, 02:11 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

But what about 2nd breakfast?
Old 03-13-2016, 03:04 PM   #4

And I have heard that the key was eating small meals more often.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
And I have heard that the key was eating small meals more often.
I've heard it all. And they' re all right. Just ask 'em. That's what they all say.

Eat within a small window then fast or mini-fast. Eat often all day long. They can't both be right. Or can they? Or they're both "wrong" in the sense that there is no difference or no difference that matters.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:25 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I'd never heard of it. Interesting but I don't have any medical reason driving me to change when I eat. I see my PCP this week for blood work, maybe he'll give me a reason. I don't think so other than maybe the 300 calories of Ben and Jerry’s every night.
Old 03-13-2016, 03:49 PM   #7

You have to have a hook to sell a diet book and a best-selling diet book can bring its author a lot of cash.

Whatever diet works for you to get rid of extra weight will improve your blood tests, but if that diet makes you feel consistently hungry or deprived, it won't work for long.

Anybody who tells you that they know the one, true diet that unfailingly works for everyone is telling you a giant whopper.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:49 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I usually eat dinner at about 8, then second dinner around midnight. I seldom eat breakfast before noon. So I guess I'm doing the 12 hour window. But I don't think it works. Either that or it's scary to think how much worse I'd be without the 12 hour wait.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:49 PM   #9
Dryer sheet wannabe

That seems like a long time to go without eating and doesn't sound like a very healthy or sustainable way to live. I know that I personally go that long without food!
Old 03-14-2016, 08:14 PM   #10

I generally don't eat anything later than 8 p.m. and eat breakfast 9:30 or 10 so more than 12 hours. I don't eat anything else after dinner until I eat breakfast. I don't do any snacking just generally 3 meals a day during the week and two on weekends.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 03-14-2016, 08:23 PM   #11

I do it, but didn't know I do it. Typically eat dinner around 5 and breakfast around 7. So 14 hours. No problem with hunger.
Old 03-14-2016, 08:50 PM   #12

I eat about every 3 hours except while sleeping. Usually eat 6 meals/snacks per day averaging about 400 calories.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:14 AM   #13

I don't like going long without eating and have always eaten 4 times a day...breakfast, lunch, supper, and a late snack, spaced 4-5 hours apart.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:53 AM   #14

Being diabetic, I try to eat more frequent smaller meals to even out blood sugar spikes. Not sure the 12 hr plan would work for me.
Old 03-18-2016, 09:45 AM   #15

I guess I've been doing that most days for years. We eat by about 7p most days and rarely wake early enough for coffee before 7a.

I like Michael Pollan's "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants" By food, he means real food (as opposed to over-processed or manufactured). That's all the advice I need. He elaborates on that in a number of articles and tv pieces.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:26 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
I guess I've been doing that most days for years. We eat by about 7p most days and rarely wake early enough for coffee before 7a.
Same here. We're usually done eating by 7:30 pm, and most mornings I don't feel like eating until around 8:00 am. Sometimes I skip breakfast entirely.

I've been trying to work in a 24-hour fast a few times per month, skipping breakfast and lunch or dinner and breakfast. Helps me with weight control.
Old 03-18-2016, 11:37 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
You have to have a hook to sell a diet book and a best-selling diet book can bring its author a lot of cash..

OK, so I have the hook. I'm not sure how this is going to help me sell a diet book.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:22 PM   #18

I eat dinner at 5pm and rarely snack. Then get up at 8 and eat breakfast at 9. In Europe they frequently eat 2 breakfasts. My son gains weight when he goes to Poland with his wife to see her parents.
Old 03-21-2016, 06:10 PM   #19
Dryer sheet wannabe

For the last 6 months I've been on the "warrior" diet. Also known as intermittent fasting. I skip food for 19 hours starting at 10 pm and then start eating at 5 pm. 5 hour window to get my calories in. I am not trying to loose weight but I do enjoy a full tummy.

Hunger is all in your head. You don't have to eat all the time. Your body will quickly get used to stretches of time without constantly feeding your face.

Of course I can eat anytime I want to but have found that I don't get hungry at all until the afternoon.

Leangains.com
Old 04-12-2016, 02:48 AM   #20

For most of my life I've eaten dinner at 6-8pm, and then not eaten until lunch at noon the next day. I've just never felt much like eating in the morning, except maybe when backpacking. That's what, about 16 hrs between meals? My body got used to it many decades ago, and as far as I can tell it hasn't made me any healthier or sicker than anyone else.

Tags
12 hours