Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

"Unfit for Work: The startling rise of disability in America | Planet Money"
Old 03-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

"Unfit for Work: The startling rise of disability in America | Planet Money"

Apologies if this has already been posted.

Pretty astounding move from welfare to disability.

http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #22
Administrator

This is an open thread on this so I will merge them.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
Old 03-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for merging.

After reading the article made me think of the end of a movie I saw recently, "Killing Them Softly". There is a part in the final dialog between Richard Jenkins and Brad Pitt, "in America you're on your own".

Be warned if you watch the clip, there is a few bad words (NSFW).

Old 03-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
No problem with those legitimately on disability being taken care of, HOWEVER disability fraud is a huge problem that hurts everyone-inc those with legitimate disability claims.
CDI: Preventing Social Security Disability Fraud | Office of the Inspector General, SSA
And some of these fraudsters are outrageous-like this guy who was running marathons while on disability for back injury:
Marathon runner on disability fired from corrections department - Boston News, Weather, Sports | FOX 25 | MyFoxBoston

And not just a problem in US either-
Factcheck: Disability benefit: How much does fraud and error cost? | Full Fact
Moral of the story: If you're on disability, don't run marathons and don't talk to FOX News.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:35 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by serie1926 View Post
Thanks for merging.

After reading the article made me think of the end of a movie I saw recently, "Killing Them Softly". There is a part in the final dialog between Richard Jenkins and Brad Pitt, "in America you're on your own".

Be warned if you watch the clip, there is a few bad words (NSFW).
I route my computer sound through my TV and on to the speakers. I turned on the TV to play this link, and before I set TV to receive from the computer I saw an ad for SS disability insurance. (SSDI)

At night I often watch Route 66, or The Saint, with Roger Moore, on some off brand UHF channel. Three major ad categories (in no order) are 1) firms that buy annuities for cash, "24 hours max to get your money". 2)Lawyers advertiising for plaintiffs for failed hip prosthesis cases and pelvic mesh surgery complaints, and 3)lawyers advertising for clients for SS Disability appeals and initial applications.

Ha
Old 03-26-2013, 11:51 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I route my computer sound through my TV and on to the speakers. I turned on the TV to play this link, and before I set TV to receive from the computer I saw an ad for SS disability insurance. (SSDI)

At night I often watch Route 66, or The Saint, with Roger Moore, on some off brand UHF channel. Three major ad categories (in no order) are 1) firms that buy annuities for cash, "24 hours max to get your money". 2)Lawyers advertiising for plaintiffs for failed hip prosthesis cases and pelvic mesh surgery complaints, and 3)lawyers advertising for clients for SS Disability appeals and initial applications.

Ha
But do you have "The Texas Hammer"? (Motto: we'll law their asses...)

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 03-26-2013, 11:56 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
But do you have "The Texas Hammer"? (Motto: we'll law their asses...)

I wish I had this guy a few years back when I was injured in a wreck, instead of the lily-livered white shoe dude that I got.

Ha
Old 03-26-2013, 12:02 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Too funny!
Old 03-26-2013, 01:00 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Though fictitious (from Breaking Bad), this is a better commercial (in my opinion) YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
It is possible that many employed people qualify for disability but choose to continue working. Some may find that if they lose their jobs they are unable to find new employment because of their ailments or just because of their age. Disability is not the preferred option, it is the only one remaining.
I could have gone on disability for several conditions. However, the only job I truly couldn't do would be construction.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Just thinking about my dad as we discuss disability. He was missing most of a hand since his early adulthood (still had a working thumb, basically). He never let that affect him (and never let anyone else help him). If it bothered him when people either stared or even asked "how it happened", he never let on. But ("Before my time, but I've been told..." Steve Earl from Copperhead Road) when he went in for a driving test one time, the inspector was pretty sure my dad would not pass the test - and told him so. So, my dad lit a cigarette, with the hand, smoked it during the test using his good hand, and used only his "bad" hand to drive (shifted the floor shift with his feet). He scared the shasbot out of the inspector - but passed.

Dad never considered himself disabled, and never applied for it, even though he would have qualified. Just an anecdotal story, worth what you paid for it, perhaps. YMMV>

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:18 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by serie1926 View Post
Apologies if this has already been posted.

Pretty astounding move from welfare to disability.

http://apps.npr.org/unfit-for-work/
Thanks for the link, it was very interesting. Lots of examples of "The Law of Unintended Consequences" at work. Interesting that back/muscle and mental issues have risen from less than 18% of disabled workers in the 60s to over half today.

It especially troubled me about the child disability payments, which gives parents an incentive to not help their children overcome their learning disabilities... if they are being taught at a young age not to try to do better, what bodes for them when they become adults?
Old 03-27-2013, 04:04 AM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Just thinking about my dad as we discuss disability. He was missing most of a hand since his early adulthood (still had a working thumb, basically). He never let that affect him (and never let anyone else help him).
I think now it is more a matter of whether other people let such things affect them. One would think the laws would protect folks against discrimination on the basis of disability, but the reality is that the process of hiring people is such that it is often easy to discriminate on that basis but hide that discrimination behind a subjective judgement on some other criterion.

I am concerned about how things will work out for my friend. She recently was blinded, due to an injury received from Superstorm Sandy (long story). Her job can be done by a blind person, but of course you can imagine there is a difference between a blind person, who has been blind all their life, and has received all manner of training and assistance regarding interacting in a sighted world, and someone who was suddenly and unexpectedly blinded late in her working years. Will the employer provide her the time and resources necessary to return to productivity in her role in our company? Or will they, at some point, say that teaching someone the basics of working blind is beyond the scope of reasonable accommodation under ADA, and direct her onto disability?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:40 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

'Interesting' that something that has a clear diagnosis like cancer hasn't had a big change, but the somewhat vague/subjective things like 'back pain' have increased. Not too hard to come to a conclusion on that.

-ERD50
Old 03-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
'Interesting' that something that has a clear diagnosis like cancer hasn't had a big change, but the somewhat vague/subjective things like 'back pain' have increased. Not too hard to come to a conclusion on that.

-ERD50
I tend to agree, but on the determination at the individual level, I would hate to be the one to decide how severe the back pain is and ones tolerance level. Up until 2 years ago, I would have thought anyone laid up from back pain was just a wimp. Did I sure get an education on that the summer before last. I couldn't move for 2 weeks and would have put a bullet in my head if I was told I had to deal with it the rest of my life. It went away thankfully, but it sure enlightened me on what back pain can potentially be for someone.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:00 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Thanks for the link, it was very interesting. Lots of examples of "The Law of Unintended Consequences" at work. Interesting that back/muscle and mental issues have risen from less than 18% of disabled workers in the 60s to over half today.

It especially troubled me about the child disability payments, which gives parents an incentive to not help their children overcome their learning disabilities... if they are being taught at a young age not to try to do better, what bodes for them when they become adults?
More welfare, under whatever name.

Ha
Old 03-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS53 View Post
Moral of the story: If you're on disability, don't run marathons and don't talk to FOX News.
Or in this woman's case, US District Court while on disability from US Postal Service-

Postal employee on workers
Old 03-27-2013, 03:54 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Interestingly , I got this spam email in my email account today that says, call this lawyer if you have neck or back pain and need help getting on SSI.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I tend to agree, but on the determination at the individual level, I would hate to be the one to decide how severe the back pain is and ones tolerance level. Up until 2 years ago, I would have thought anyone laid up from back pain was just a wimp. Did I sure get an education on that the summer before last. I couldn't move for 2 weeks and would have put a bullet in my head if I was told I had to deal with it the rest of my life. It went away thankfully, but it sure enlightened me on what back pain can potentially be for someone.
No question that back pain can be disabling (I've experienced it myself). But so is cancer, so why the difference on that chart?

-ERD50
Old 03-27-2013, 06:01 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50

No question that back pain can be disabling (I've experienced it myself). But so is cancer, so why the difference on that chart?

-ERD50
I definitely agree there is fraud. I just imagine it is hard to determine the genuine disability from the fraudulent ones concerning back pain.
Closed Thread