Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2016, 02:48 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Makes perfect sense. The healthy non-diabetics don't cost them any different. The diabetics improving their health can probably save them quite a bit.

Yes, I realize they aren't taking prevention into account. But the savings aren't as easy for them to project.
If we're talking strictly cost & not being PC, the cheapest thing is probably for the people to die early vs. managing the problem over a long period. Look at SS & Medicare, the cheapest thing is for a person to die at 64 & 364 days.
__________________

__________________
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2016, 03:10 PM   #22
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Try talking to the trees when out for your runs. When the trees start talking back, you know that you are overdoing it.

I'll give it a try. I vaguely remember trees talking back several decades ago.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________

__________________
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:06 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alberta/Ontario/ Arizona
Posts: 3,139
All of these studies are pretty consistent. Exercise is worthwhile. I read a study that quantified exercise effort in terms of METS( standard metabolisms). It stated that the benefits of vigorous exercise to prevent certain types of cancers seems to top out at 12 mets for some period which I forgot. That's very vigorous. Bottom line is do as much vigorous exercise as you can.

In fact the evidence is so overwhelming it is really irresponsible not to do it in some form.
__________________
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:01 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,792
I abhor excersise as such. About 8 months a year I figure skate roughly 5 hrs per week, summers roughly 4 to 6 hrs per week kayaking, along with miscellaneous lumberjacking, plus hiking around the lands of my mancave.

I'll live forever! Yeah right.
__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
150 minutes/week exercise "recommended"
Old 02-26-2016, 07:48 PM   #25
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,348
150 minutes/week exercise "recommended"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I abhor excersise as such. About 8 months a year I figure skate roughly 5 hrs per week, summers roughly 4 to 6 hrs per week kayaking, along with miscellaneous lumberjacking, plus hiking around the lands of my mancave.

I'll live forever! Yeah right.

None of those are exercise. All of those are playing.


Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
__________________
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 10:58 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Fedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Southern Cal
Posts: 2,930
Thanks to this thread, I've been slugging out there every day. I swim at least 30 minutes a day. Walk at least a mile to shop for light groceries, and doing yard work. The health benefit I see is that I sleep very well at night. Same with my husband, he tries to run every day in the morning, but if he can't he will go swimming with me.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
When I post IIRC, that means going by memory. Google is your friend for facts. Stop being a lazy bum, I can't do all the googling for you. I'm lazy too. LOL
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 96
I have been exercising 30 mins a day usually 6 days a week. 3 days of walking/jogging and three days with a trainer. I feel better than I have in years. Energy level is higher and sleep is better. I have also lost about 30 pounds but I attribute a lot of that to diet and less stress.


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
prose3589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:35 PM   #28
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
All of these studies are pretty consistent. Exercise is worthwhile. I read a study that quantified exercise effort in terms of METS( standard metabolisms). It stated that the benefits of vigorous exercise to prevent certain types of cancers seems to top out at 12 mets for some period which I forgot. That's very vigorous. Bottom line is do as much vigorous exercise as you can.

In fact the evidence is so overwhelming it is really irresponsible not to do it in some form.
That is very vigorous! Can you find a reference to this study?

The number of middle aged people willing to exercise at 12 METs, or even capable of attaining 12 METs is small.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 06:52 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
None of those are exercise. All of those are playing.


Sent from my iPhone (:.using Early Retirement .//82339)
Exactly. And I am sticking with it.
__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:32 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by prose3589 View Post
I have been exercising 30 mins a day usually 6 days a week. 3 days of walking/jogging and three days with a trainer. I feel better than I have in years. Energy level is higher and sleep is better. I have also lost about 30 pounds but I attribute a lot of that to diet and less stress.


Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Congratulations! That's awesome. I lost a bunch better yet I no longer take any medications. It's amazing how diet and exercise can make such a huge change.
__________________
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 11:35 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
Exactly. And I am sticking with it.

But it's exercise. You're not supposed to have "fun"...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:10 AM   #32
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
ls99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
But it's exercise. You're not supposed to have "fun"...
Disagree, it is not exercise!

It is pure unadulterated fun with some eye hand coordination, good blance and muscular controls required. Preferrably done in good form.

For the skating some semblence of art thrown in as well.

BTW if I wanted adulterated fun I'd have been a porn star.
__________________
There must be moderation in everything, including moderation.
ls99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:43 AM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alberta/Ontario/ Arizona
Posts: 3,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
That is very vigorous! Can you find a reference to this study?

The number of middle aged people willing to exercise at 12 METs, or even capable of attaining 12 METs is small.

Ha
Yes, I agree. I exercise around 8-10 mets. At this level the benefits are still very large. Sorry, I found the study when I was surfing and can't find it again. Although there seems to be quite a lot on the net relating to this subject. Ie vigorous exercise is better at preventing certain types of cancer. In particular a Finnish study.
__________________
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:40 AM   #34
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,886
A while back, on one of those other forums, I saw a typical comment pooh-poohing exercise for longevity: "Why do something I don't enjoy, just to spend extra years in the nursing home."

I think the exercising is to try to extend the years not spent in a nursing home.
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:00 AM   #35
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,570
Quote:
I think the exercising is to try to extend the years not spent in a nursing home.
The best, and I think still the most relevant, take on exercise I've heard was way back in the 70's when aerobics was being sold as the Be All of Immortality and Health. There was an exercise guru on TV and he admitted exercise won't necessarily add years to your life but it can add life to your years. That's worth settling for. But if get extra that's good too.
__________________
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:34 AM   #36
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Fedup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Southern Cal
Posts: 2,930
If you can do vigorous exercise like me, I can't run or do aerobics even if my life depends on it, I still think it's beneficial to do some low impact exercise. My in laws were healthy even until the late 80s, all they did was walking a lot. The minute they stop walking because my father in law can't keep up, their health started to go down.


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________
When I post IIRC, that means going by memory. Google is your friend for facts. Stop being a lazy bum, I can't do all the googling for you. I'm lazy too. LOL
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:15 PM   #37
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
A while back, on one of those other forums, I saw a typical comment pooh-poohing exercise for longevity: "Why do something I don't enjoy, just to spend extra years in the nursing home."

I think the exercising is to try to extend the years not spent in a nursing home.
Exactly - that person is not able to think logically.

They've obviously already decided they won't put in the effort to have a better quality of life when older. Maybe some folks think you can't improve health through fitness when you are a senior, or in the decades before you become a senior.
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:16 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
If you can do vigorous exercise like me, I can't run or do aerobics even if my life depends on it, I still think it's beneficial to do some low impact exercise. My in laws were healthy even until the late 80s, all they did was walking a lot. The minute they stop walking because my father in law can't keep up, their health started to go down.
Studies have shown that even walking a lot - just 2 miles a day even - has major health benefits for older folks.
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
Sorry, I found the study when I was surfing and can't find it again. Although there seems to be quite a lot on the net relating to this subject. Ie vigorous exercise is better at preventing certain types of cancer. In particular a Finnish study.
Thanks for trying to find it Danmar.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:33 PM   #40
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
A couple of graphical representations of "mets"... Take your pick.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1456716801.308124.jpg

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1456716826.259021.jpg
__________________

__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For those who exercise. Setting exercise goals in ER ? Koogie Health and Early Retirement 31 05-23-2012 08:21 AM
Live to be 150 REWahoo Other topics 26 04-06-2008 12:23 PM
How Many Days Per Week do you Exercise? TromboneAl Health and Early Retirement 51 01-28-2008 03:30 PM
Scraping by on $150,000 a year Milton FIRE and Money 11 10-13-2007 03:43 PM
$150,000 cash question....help EricMD FIRE and Money 11 07-09-2005 08:32 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:35 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.