Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-28-2016, 09:42 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
A couple of graphical representations of "mets"... Take your pick.

Attachment 23329

Attachment 23330
I run for a short while on the treadmill, today it said I was at 11 mets. Pretty accurate running 6 mph at a 3.5% grade. Now I only hit this for a while and in no way could sustain it for any length of time. It also proved my max heart rate is in the 170s.

MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 10:21 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
All of these studies are pretty consistent. Exercise is worthwhile. I read a study that quantified exercise effort in terms of METS( standard metabolisms). It stated that the benefits of vigorous exercise to prevent certain types of cancers seems to top out at 12 mets for some period which I forgot. That's very vigorous. Bottom line is do as much vigorous exercise as you can.

In fact the evidence is so overwhelming it is really irresponsible not to do it in some form.
It looks like the "top out at 12 mets" occurs because you would die right away if you exercised at 13 mets.

The two figures showing METS were interesting and not consistent with my body. I can ride a bike for hours at 18-20 mph, but running at 9 min/mile I can only last about 30 minutes nowadays.

LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:41 AM   #43
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
A couple of graphical representations of "mets"... Take your pick.

Attachment 23329

Attachment 23330
Interesting. The biking at 10-12 mets seems overstated? I work quite hard to do 8-10 mets for around 45 minutes on elliptical or stationary bike. HR will hit 150 and average about 135 over this period. When actually biking, I cannot get my heart rate above about 130 unless I am going up a pretty steep (8-10%) hill. This would imply I am not doing more than 6-8 mets?

Agree that anything over 10 mets is very vigorous.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 09:02 AM   #44
I work exercise into my daily routine by cycling most places. So I ride my bike to the shops and into down town. When I want to do some serious exercise it's also on a bike, but will be a 50 to 100 mile day out in the countryside.
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one." - Spock
Retired Mar 2014 at age 52
Target AA: 70% equity funds / 28% TIAA-Traditional/ 2% cash
Target WR: 0.0%,
Income from pension, rent, and eventually SS
nun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:26 PM   #45
Dryer sheet wannabe
I think it probably depends what kind of exercise you're doing for those 150 mins. For example someone running for that length of time is very different to someone doing yoga or light walking for the same length. I try to do some vigorous exercise 4 days a week. My favorite is cycling!

WoodM is offline   Reply With Quote