Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
150 minutes/week exercise "recommended"
Old 02-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,207
150 minutes/week exercise "recommended"

Near the end of the article is a disclaimer to some extent. But general thrust is that 150 minutes of exercise per week may prevent premature death.
FWIW:

The New York Times: Get a Digital Subscription
__________________

__________________
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 1,086
20 minutes/ day? That seems pretty minimal.

A couple of yoga classe/week would do it.
__________________

__________________
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 03:37 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,875
I read the article and got the impression that 150 minutes is the optimum for improving longevity.

Fitness definitely takes more than 150 minutes a week...for me anyway!

Amethyst
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way.’ Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:23 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RunningBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I read the article and got the impression that 150 minutes is the optimum for improving longevity.

Fitness definitely takes more than 150 minutes a week...for me anyway!

Amethyst
That's not how I read it. One of the two studies quoted says:

0 exercise = highest risk of early death

A little exercise = 20% lower risk

150 minutes/week = 31% lower risk

3x that, or 450 minutes/week = 39% lower risk

More than that hits a plateau. I think 150 minutes is just where you get a lot of bang for the buck, a sweet spot of a good benefit in a manageable amount of time and effort. Most people should be able to carve 150 minutes out of their week for exercise. 450 minutes is a lot more of a commitment and if that was made the target, it'd probably discourage too many people, and it doesn't add too much more benefit.

I couldn't find numbers for the other study but they say it's similar. It also lists strenuous exercise for some of that time to increase the benefits.
__________________
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:28 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
RunningBum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,173
I agree with Amethyst that 150 min/week is not enough for fitness for me either. Right now, in a good week I'm running about 450 minutes. The last time I dropped to just below 150 was Christmas week, with travel and some bad weather. Many weeks are less than 450 because of winter weather, but when I get in full training mode for fall races it'll be more.
__________________
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:32 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I agree with Amethyst that 150 min/week is not enough for fitness for me either. Right now, in a good week I'm running about 450 minutes. The last time I dropped to just below 150 was Christmas week, with travel and some bad weather. Many weeks are less than 450 because of winter weather, but when I get in full training mode for fall races it'll be more.
You're not talking about fitness. You're talking about exercise.
__________________
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 04:32 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,977
I do over an hour of cardio every day; I might miss a day once every couple of months. I'm not surprised at the 150, though; my last employer's wellness plan gave you maximum points for 30 minutes of working out at 85% of max heart rate. No extra credit for going longer. I'm sure that was based on a similar study.
__________________
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 07:31 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Katsmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I read the article and got the impression that 150 minutes is the optimum for improving longevity.

Fitness definitely takes more than 150 minutes a week...for me anyway!

Amethyst
Not that the 150 minutes is for the cardio exercise. At least 2 sessions of strength training is recommended. If I recall correctly, you get the biggest bang for the buck at 150 minutes of cardio a week. (This is from a health perspective). Beyond that, however, you do get benefits.
__________________
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:38 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,875
It puzzles me that Federal BCBS will give diabetics a small monetary incentive on their "wellness cards" for claiming to exercise and eat right to control their diabetes, yet doesn't give non-diabetics any reward for doing the same good things. Reminds me of the smug old saying, "Virtue is its own reward."

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I do over an hour of cardio every day; I might miss a day once every couple of months. I'm not surprised at the 150, though; my last employer's wellness plan gave you maximum points for 30 minutes of working out at 85% of max heart rate. No extra credit for going longer. I'm sure that was based on a similar study.
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way.’ Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:35 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
It puzzles me that Federal BCBS will give diabetics a small monetary incentive on their "wellness cards" for claiming to exercise and eat right to control their diabetes, yet doesn't give non-diabetics any reward for doing the same good things. Reminds me of the smug old saying, "Virtue is its own reward."
Makes perfect sense. The healthy non-diabetics don't cost them any different. The diabetics improving their health can probably save them quite a bit.

Yes, I realize they aren't taking prevention into account. But the savings aren't as easy for them to project.
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 08:48 AM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 11,615
From the NYT article:
Quote:
Of course, these studies relied on people’s shaky recall of exercise habits and were not randomized experiments, so can’t prove that any exercise dose caused changes in mortality risk, only that exercise and death risks were associated.
__________________
"Freedom begins when you tell Mrs. Grundy to go fly a kite." - R. Heinlein
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:43 AM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
From the NYT article:

But we'll print the article anyway...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:58 AM   #13
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,342
Quote:
Anyone who is physically capable of activity should try to “reach at least 150 minutes of physical activity per week and have around 20 to 30 minutes of that be vigorous activity,” says Klaus Gebel, a senior research fellow at James Cook University in Cairns, Australia, who led the second study. And a larger dose, for those who are so inclined, does not seem to be unsafe, he said.
From what I've been reading and hearing from dr's, the vigorous activity is essential.

From a different article:

Quote:
According to an article published in the "Strength and Conditioning Journal," it takes about 20 to 30 minutes of moderately intense exercise before your body begins to rely primarily on fat as fuel for your muscles.
So it seems that intensity is needed to burn fat instead of lean muscle. I was doing at least 450 minutes of exercise a week (hiking) but it wasn't vigorous. Tough to find a vigorous hike in my part of Illinois. I'm running now, but not sure if my pace is vigorous. I see a lot of different opinions as to what "vigorous" is.
__________________
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:19 AM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,875
I believe it's a matter of being, not out of breath, but unable to carry on a conversation easily while exercising. It's fairly challenging to meet that definition without running or playing vigorous sports. Some of us can't do those things.

I go as hard as I can on the stair-climber and elliptical machines, and hope for the best. Remember we also need to find time for strength training, balance, flexibility....one could spend one's whole life exercising, if one hoped to meet or exceed all the guidelines that are out there!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I see a lot of different opinions as to what "vigorous" is.
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way.’ Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:55 PM   #15
Moderator
Ronstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: A little ways southwest of Chicago
Posts: 9,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I believe it's a matter of being, not out of breath, but unable to carry on a conversation easily while exercising. It's fairly challenging to meet that definition without running or playing vigorous sports. Some of us can't do those things.
I have read the same "unable to carry on a conversation..." definition. But I exercise alone, so that probably won't work for me.

Quote:
I go as hard as I can on the stair-climber and elliptical machines, and hope for the best. Remember we also need to find time for strength training, balance, flexibility....one could spend one's whole life exercising, if one hoped to meet or exceed all the guidelines that are out there!
I'm the same - just exercise as hard as I can and hope for the best. I need to increase strength training though.
__________________
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:19 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,103
I guess longevity is a plus but I'm far more interested in maintaining fitness and health for whatever years I have yet. However, I have to admit that what really makes me get out there and push it is that .... it makes me feel better. If I don't then I just feel like the pits, lose interest in other things, and miss the feeling of fatigue from a good workout that says "yep, still can!!" There are many days when I head out that I fell like the dog being dragged to the vet but I have NEVER not felt a whole lot better when I'm done.

Oh yeah. I also like to eat, and if I don't do a lot of physical activity it shows.
__________________
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:44 AM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,875
I hear you. I might as well be exercising alone at the gym, since everybody else wears headphones or earbuds and there is littler or no conversation, except among three particular ladies who never shut up (obviously not working hard enough!) Instead, I just imagine that I'm trying to talk to someone, and imagine myself breathing too hard to enjoy it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I have read the same "unable to carry on a conversation..." definition. But I exercise alone, so that probably won't work for me.

I.
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way.’ Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Beaverton
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
I guess longevity is a plus but I'm far more interested in maintaining fitness and health for whatever years I have yet. However, I have to admit that what really makes me get out there and push it is that .... it makes me feel better. If I don't then I just feel like the pits, lose interest in other things, and miss the feeling of fatigue from a good workout that says "yep, still can!!" There are many days when I head out that I fell like the dog being dragged to the vet but I have NEVER not felt a whole lot better when I'm done.

Oh yeah. I also like to eat, and if I don't do a lot of physical activity it shows.
+1
__________________
Bir48die is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 01:54 PM   #19
Moderator
Alan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eee Bah Gum
Posts: 21,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I have read the same "unable to carry on a conversation..." definition. But I exercise alone, so that probably won't work for me.
Try talking to the trees when out for your runs. When the trees start talking back, you know that you are overdoing it.
__________________
Retired in Jan, 2010 at 55, moved to England in May 2016
Now it's adventure before dementia
Alan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:35 PM   #20
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Try talking to the trees when out for your runs. When the trees start talking back, you know that you are overdoing it.
__________________

__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For those who exercise. Setting exercise goals in ER ? Koogie Health and Early Retirement 31 05-23-2012 08:21 AM
Live to be 150 REWahoo Other topics 26 04-06-2008 12:23 PM
How Many Days Per Week do you Exercise? TromboneAl Health and Early Retirement 51 01-28-2008 03:30 PM
Scraping by on $150,000 a year Milton FIRE and Money 11 10-13-2007 03:43 PM
$150,000 cash question....help EricMD FIRE and Money 11 07-09-2005 08:32 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:27 AM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.