Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
check the ingredients on the costco dried fruit (i used to get for my kids) but they use artificial colors, sugar and sulfur...they have unsugared/uncolored/unsulfured dried fruit at trader joe's...
Yeah, I know, but it doesn't bother me. No trader joe's anywhere near me and I cannot afford to buy at Whole Paycheck. Since its a little at a bit, no worries. After all, all the crap in the air is likely a far bigger deal health-wise.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2008, 02:29 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Yeah, I know, but it doesn't bother me. No trader joe's anywhere near me and I cannot afford to buy at Whole Paycheck. Since its a little at a bit, no worries. After all, all the crap in the air is likely a far bigger deal health-wise.
ok, good.

artificial colors can make small pets and children hyper, perhaps you are looking for that effect?

Old 06-13-2008, 02:30 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bright eyed View Post
ok, good.

artificial colors can make small pets and children hyper, perhaps you are looking for that effect?
Well, then I won't feed any of it to my small children or pets. Happy?

Frankly, a little stimulant effect would be welcome on my drive home, seeing as how I sometimes struggle to stay awake.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:34 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronk View Post
RetiredGypsy, that rice/chicken casserole sounds intriguing.
Here's a quick version of the recipe, when I remember some more details I'll add them:

Brown the chicken breast (or chicken tenders) in a pan, using whatever hot sauce you like best (used Frank's Redhot Xtrahot this time). Cook the rice however you want (have a rice cooker here). Cut up parsley, cilantro, onions, celery, whatever else you might think will go good with it, dice up the chicken, mix it all in an oven pan, cover in a thin layer of whatever cheese you want (if any), top with some jalapeņos...and when I can remember how long and at what temp the oven was at you'll be the first to know. Add just a tiny bit of water to mix when you reheat it and there you go! I like to mix in some chipotle whenever I reheat it.

Quote:
bright eyed, at this point I'm just maintaining weight and at most lose 5-7 pounds. I'm down 70 pounds from my max of 7 years ago. These days, I'm tired of being constantly aware of my hunger. So right now my goal is to stop being hungry.
I used to have this problem a lot. I was at my lowest weight ever and constantly hungry. I started chewing gum, and that seemed to help a lot. As long as I could keep chewing something it seemed to fool the stomach into being content.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:41 PM   #25

Read the ingredients of everything... there's a chance you're getting more high fructose corn syrup than you realize. I know that I get a spike and a strong hunger feeling with the crash from too much processed sugar (corn syrup, HFCS, maple syrup, etc).

Also, you don't mention what you drink... sweeteners in diet soda may give you the same spike and crash feeling.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:44 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

Since I just found out my DH is diabetic, I learned that sunflower seeds control blood sugar. If your hunger is low blood sugar maybe a jar of sunflower seeds at you desk would help.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:54 PM   #27
Dryer sheet aficionado

I like the switch to natural peanut butter suggestion.

Also, a cheese omelete with 2 slices of whole grain toast is mighty filling in the morning. I like to use egg beaters. It's a nice change of pace from oatmeal.

Are you trying to gain / maintain / lose? You seem active with the martial arts, so I'm sure you burn a lot of calories. If you are happy as is, keep eating and exercising how you currently do. Just like financial planning, you need a destination to set your goals toward.

If you haven't already been, an excellent place to start is the Mens Health Message board. (Can't post the link because my work blocks it.) However, there is a lot to learn over there. It has an interesting dynamic (like here) and is focused around fitness goals (routines, eating, motivation, etc.) If you observe a little then ask there, I think you'll be better served by some of their responses as well.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:16 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Question: 1780 calories now, but what were you normally consuming?

I think it is a mistake to try to make a big jump down (if that is what you are doing) - of course you will feel hungry.

Analogy: A couch potato tells you his near-term goal is to get in shape and run a half- marathon (13.1 miles) and place in the top half. You wouldn't instruct him to go out the first day and run 26.2 miles. You work up to it.

I suggest the same with changing a diet. Identify maybe 500 calories of calorie dense food that you eat throughout the day. Replace it with 300 calories of bulky food. It's only 200 calories less, and the bulk should help keep you from feeling hungry. Do it for a week or two to let your body adjust. Then find another 400 dense calories to replace with 200 bulky calories. Repeat at a slow pace until you are at a level that seems good for you.

I think you still have a lot of calorie dense foods in there. I agree with others that you need some protein and some fat throughout the day to help from feeling hungry. But give your body time to adjust. I've read that when people increase the fiber in their diet, they should add the equivalent of one serving of fruit/vegetable and maintain it for three weeks before adding any more. It takes that long for the flora/fauna in your intestinal tract to adjust to the changing environment. Go slow.

Follow RIT's advice - maybe you need to see your doctor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hova22 View Post
I like the switch to natural peanut butter suggestion.
Pretty minor difference. I eat TJ's PB 'cause I like it (ingred: peanuts,salt). Kid's eat the big-name Skippy (ingred: too lazy to type it, includes sugars, oils).

TJ - Sugars 2g; cal 150
Skippy - Sugars 3g; cal 190

-ERD50
Old 06-13-2008, 04:28 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessed View Post
maybe a jar of sunflower seeds at you desk would help.
I like sunflower seeds, but maybe some air-popped popcorn might help more....

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Seeds, sunflower seed kernels, dry roasted, without salt

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Snacks, popcorn, air-popped

31 Cal/CUP versus 745 (!) Cal/CUP.

Sure, you would probably eat more cups of popcorn than cups of SS seeds (a cup is a lot of ss seed). But, if I had a jar in front of me all day, I would - easy. One-third of your allotment right there.

-ERD50
Old 06-13-2008, 04:37 PM   #30

1780 after lunch? Then dinner and snacks you might be near 3000 a day. Big calories.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:05 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
So, here's what I've eaten so far today:

1 cup oatmeal with a dollop of peanut butter: 400 calories
Half a peanut butter sandwich: 250 calories
1 Nature Valley peanut butter granola bar: 180 calories
1 apple: 80 calories
3 pretzel rods: 120 calories
2 ham/swiss/lettuce/mustard sandwiches: 750 calories (5 oz ham, 2 oz cheese)

So I'm up to 1780 calories for the day, just after lunch. And I am hungry enough to be distracted (not that I need help in being distracted). Today is not unusual; this is pretty consistent. Though my hunger level definitely seems to be rising in recent weeks.

I've fairly discontinued a work lunch program (it was no longer practical) that I had been on for the last nine years. I've been trying to figure out what to bring in for lunch that is filling, decently healthy, easily portable, decently priced, and (very importantly) doesn't take very long to cook/assemble -- I'm lazy. This week I'm trying ham sandwiches, though those are pushing $5 per day since I need so much food.

I've tried Lean Pockets and Chicken Helper, but geez the sodium is through the roof. Big salads weren't working out for me, either. I'm not big into soups nor seafood.

Anyhow, does anyone have ideas on things to bring into work (lunch and/or snacks) that might help me out here.
Suggest a pound of deep-fried fatback with some buttered pork rinds.

Ha
Old 06-13-2008, 06:10 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

After 31 posts I'm amazed no one has given you the definitive solution: bacon.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I used to pack a hard boiled egg . It was just the right amount of protein for a quick pick me up .
This is one of my favorite hunger pang killer tricks, too. I know it's bad for cholesterol, but I try not to overdo it. Usually when I am really hungry, protein is the only thing that helps.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:30 PM   #34

I also find a small protein bar (snack size - 100 calories) helps me. I like the zone snack bars.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:58 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Yea, where's CFB when you need him?
Old 06-13-2008, 08:03 PM   #36

Boy, does no one work at lunchtimes or during the afternoon? May be you should go walking at lunch time

How much are you drinking? Often hunger is mistaken for thirst. I'm 6'1", 175lbs and don't eat anyway close to the calories you listed. For breakfast I had a cup of oatmeal and for lunch I had a tossed salad from the cafeteria and added a small snack-can of salmon. I drink constantly during the day (coffee, diet soda and water) and go for a brisk 15 minute walk after lunch.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:11 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yup, about 4 slices with 3-4 scrambled eggs with cheese, hash browns, and a couple of slices of buttered whole wheat toast chased down with a big glass of orange juice. Should get you to lunch without starving to death.

A typical day for me starts with a bowl of Fiber One with blueberries and a couple of cups of coffee. Then go play golf drinking plenty of water and having a granola bar about half way through the round. Get home around 2:00pm and have a turkey sandwich with cheese, grapes, chips, and a glass of ice tea. So I can usually make it through the first half of the day without a ton of calories. It's the rest of the day that can give me problems.
Old 06-14-2008, 06:55 AM   #38

Its been said before, but I say it again: add more protein....then try cutting back a bit on the carbs. Seems to help me.

R
Old 06-14-2008, 07:55 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
There may be some truth in this. I "suffer" the same affliction. I have bouts of 'hunger pangs" quite often also. I don't, however, consume 1,800 calories before noon but nevertheless... My weight has been constant for perhaps 25 years -- a little on the heavy side (but not by much).

Anyway, I have been searching for an answer to this for some time now -- with nothing positive to report. There are two really interesting books that I have come across that probably provide the answer (although I have, so far, been unable to dig it out).

Good Calories, Bad Calories: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom on Diet, Weight Control, and Disease

The Shangri-la Diet: The No Hunger Eat Anything Weight-loss Plan

In any event, neither book is what I would lump in with the "fad" diet books.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:28 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
So, here's what I've eaten so far today:

1 cup oatmeal with a dollop of peanut butter: 400 calories
Half a peanut butter sandwich: 250 calories
1 Nature Valley peanut butter granola bar: 180 calories
1 apple: 80 calories
3 pretzel rods: 120 calories
2 ham/swiss/lettuce/mustard sandwiches: 750 calories (5 oz ham, 2 oz cheese)

So I'm up to 1780 calories for the day, just after lunch. And I am hungry enough to be distracted (not that I need help in being distracted). Today is not unusual; this is pretty consistent. Though my hunger level definitely seems to be rising in recent weeks.
Height/weight?

Calculate your BMR here: BMR Calculator

That's what you need (roughly) to simply exist. Added to that is any activity. From walking to your car to a hard gym workout so it's a big variable. 1780 by mid day might be under-eating, depending on your situation.

The granola bar is glorified candy. It is what it is though, I eat em from time to time myself. Ham and cheese sandwiches I'd replace with grilled chicken wraps maybe? Or tuna with a bit of cheese in a wrap or whole wheat bread. Something along those lines.

You also need good carbs. Do you like veggies? Baby carrots, broccoli, a nice spinach salad with some beans and a bit of dressing. Those choices will keep you fuller longer. Dont go nuts on the salad, keep the dressing light and have it consist mostly of veggies like baby spinach and broccoli florets, shredded carrots etc.